Error 306 NIS: Unexpected Error

OK, ive got it working on alice4 thanks.

Im still rather confused what ive done wrong though as i have not done anything different than before.
Delegated harvesting started without any error and again NIS is running without a local node booted.

So basically now that ive got delegated harvesting working, next time i start NCC, i can simply select auto boot as localhost and the harvesting will keep going on your server?

If you are using a remote server (like Alice4 in this case) you don’t need a local NIS at all. The only thing is that if Alice4 is restarted, you would need to click on “start delegated harvesting” again. If you want Alice4 to automatically use your delegated key to harvest, then you need to pm me the delegated key so i can configure Alice4 to use it.

OK, i didnt know anything about delegated keys, thats good to know.

When you say you dont need a remote server for delegated harvesting, i assume this is one way of doing it by sending the key to the server administrator?

Ive learned alot here, as i always thought that you had to connect to a remote server to enable delegated harvesting.

I am just saying that you can let NCC point to your local NIS (in the settings) and then just click on “Start delegated harvesting”.

Yes it does let me do that.
So basically if im not mistaken, all i need to do from here on is save a node address for harvesting under remote server and then just boot locally and when i click start delegated harvesting, it will harvest using the address saved under remote server?

@nzminer
Please read these 3 tutorials:

If you still have questions after reading that, ask in here and I will try my best to help you.

Hi nzminer,

let me try to clear up somethings real quick.

There are two types of harvesting. These are local harvesting and remote harvesting. Local means you harvest on your machine running a fully synced chain and you harvest via localhost (127.0.0.1). Remote harvesting means somebody else is harvesting for you on their server.

Now there are two keys. There is your regular private key, and then there is the private key of a delegated harvesting account. A regular private key can only be used for local harvesting. A delegated key can be used for local or remote harvesting. But remote harvesting can only be done with a delegated key. That way you are protected. It is a security feature.

If you make a delegated key, you can still local harvest. This can actually be done in two ways. First make sure you are not connected to a remote server but instead are connected to localhost. In the first way, go to your main account and click “start delegated harvesting” (that assumes you have had it activated before). The second way, take your private key from the delegated account and load it into the wallet under settings wheel “add an existing account”. Once it is loaded you can click “start local harvesting”. (Also note: if you didn’t ever activate delegated harvesting, then just go to your main account account and click “start local harvesting” while running your own node.)

Now if you are connected to a different remote host, the rules are different. This means you have connected to somebody else’s IP and you want them to harvest for you. You must have had delegated harvesting activated and then click “start delegated harvesting”. If that third party has slots open for extra harvesters in their config file, then you can harvest. If they don’t, you will get an error. The second way is to send somebody the delegated private key in a message (not the regular private key) and then they can add you to their NIS config file so they harvest for you automatically when they boot the node.

All this might seem complicated and confusing, but as time goes by and we smooth out the wallets and mobile apps, it will be easier.

For some further reading on how to do all the things I described here in detail, please review these blogs.

OK, that explains things alot better thanks :slightly_smiling:

I will keep it in mind for future to use a delegated key perhaps and then i dont have to worry about having to check on it all the time.

I still dont know what the cause of the 306 error was that i experienced, but it must have been related to the servers i was trying to connect to, but i did not have the harvesting limit reached error like i usually see.

Anyway, it resolved it after switching to your alice server.

I will probably send you the delegated key in due course.

I had to restart NIS on alice4. So you might want to restart harvesting too.

Ok will do :slight_smile:

Hi BloodyRookie, i am having the stupid 306 error appear again, whether or not i try booting locally on localhost or boot on your alice server, ive been currently connecting to your alice6 server and its been fine all this time other than once or twice when ive had to reconnect.
Anyway, its trying to synchronise NIS, when i have it connected remotley, it should not even try to do this i thought?
I am going to send you my public key for harvesting, if you able to check on your server if im still harvesting with this, key im keen to know :slightly_smiling:
Thanks

alice6 is in australia, so it is probably not a good remote server for your location. Pick one that is near you. Check the ping time to the remote server.

Im in New Zealand, is that not close enough to Australia? lol I dont think there are any major servers in New Zealand currently.

But why am i still getting the error even if switching to boot a local node?

It does not appear to be saving this setting either, as if i shut everything down and restart it, its goes back to remote server, but at the same time its trying to sync
NIS.

Anyway let me know if you got my PM with the public key for harvesting.

Ah, I forgot you are down there ^^. Maybe you can try using Alice8 (27.100.36.70) or Alice9 (27.100.36.83).
Tell me what the ping to those servers is and if you are still getting any 306 errors when using one of those as host in the settings.

Alice 8 is giving me a transmit failed error, but pinging alice9 give me a response.

Pinging 27.100.36.83 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 27.100.36.83: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=50
Reply from 27.100.36.83: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=5
Reply from 27.100.36.83: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=50
Reply from 27.100.36.83: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=50

I will try connecting to alice9 and see hot it works.

Something else i notice, is that none of my harvested XEM show up as a transaction, i can only see these if i click on harvested blocks.

Is this normal? As i saw on a tutorial a screenshot showing the harvested XEM appearing as a transaction.

The reason you had problems with Alice6 was that the vps was out of disk space :confused:
I cleaned up and now it is running well again.

Yes it is normal that the harvested XEM don’t show up as transaction, they are directly transferred to your harvesting account.

OK, all is good, its working on Alice9 anyway.
Did you get my harvesting key for future?

I answered to your private message. You gave me the wrong key.

That is strange, they both should be in the same data center.

Sorry, i never saw the message, ill check for it now.
Thats weird, thats the key its telling me. Will look into it.

Hi, I have same error this is my log can you pease tell me what is wrong? thanks!!! Im using a iMac
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6whd7im0darfyux/nis-0.log?dl=0 NISLOGS
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxpupk9hkp97uqp/nccLogs.zip?dl=0 NCC LOGS