How about electing a community manager?

Hi@all

How do you feel about launching a Community Manager? Since the Foundation is run somewhat “Central”, I think this could be very useful.

What do you think. He should be out of our ranks, in my opinion, someone from Japan. I think some things could go faster and a bridge between us and the Foundation would be good.

Please let me know what you think about it.

7 Likes

I was bringing this topic to the Foundation members for past few months. Now, try to find someone who has time, knows all technical stuff about NEM, is aware of all the news and projects and is communicative and is not working for the Foundation already. Good luck with that.

1 Like

What about… Tongokongo? :smiley:

1 Like

We had a little discussion in NEM:RED regarding this topic, here were my thoughts on it:

Ben Gee, [03.05.18 16:07]
[In reply to Dorian Stinghe]
I think we already have a community manager in Nelz but you are suggesting someone inbetween Nelz and the community? I think what we need are a couple more Community Support employees working for the Foundation acting both as a go between Nelz and the community and to provide general support to people who come in here enquiring about the NEM blockchain. I’ve seen a few people not receive a response from anyone for a few hours / at all which is pretty bad for a blockchain as good as NEM with the funding that NEM has.

Ben Gee, [03.05.18 16:10]
I think there is a lack of YouTube content also, twitter and instragram content is pretty good. The NEM team seem to be constantly at conventions, meetings, there are lots of meet-ups, we have project leads that could be interviewed and the Community Support employees could do some quick edits and be putting out multiple videos per week on youtube - this would be a big help imo.

Ben Gee, [03.05.18 17:04]
[In reply to NEM with Tony]
Since the NEM team is always travelling to different conferences, conventions, meetings with partners / potential partners I think there is a lot of easy content that could be created, video footage sent in by NEM meetups and more interviews and behind the scenes footage from projects such as Coinvest, Choice, Travelbybit, Ethyl.

Ben Gee, [03.05.18 17:07]
The NEM Foundation that could be taking advantage of a lot of content that is easily at hand that will help build the NEM brand and get the name further out there.

Ben Gee, [03.05.18 17:20]
[In reply to NEM with Tony]
I consider myself a fairly good community member - I get involved in the discussions on the forum, I believe I was at least partly responsible for a change in the way the community fund works as I was pretty vocal about the potential pitfalls it had (before the market crashed), I post on reddit somewhat regularly etc. I think this is a fairly reasonable representation of what a project should expect from a community member.

Ben Gee, [03.05.18 17:24]
What I won’t do is travel about for free, sit and answer newbies asking the same questions over and over day after day for free - basically something someone should be getting paid to do. Especially not when the Foundation has tens of millions if not hundreds of millions of dollars.

I do think the Foundation is working really hard and doing some good work but I think there needs to be a strategic re-think about how to structure the organisation. Work ON your business NOT IN your business thinking - applied to the Foundation.

CryptoMike, [03.05.18 17:38]
Hi guys :slight_smile: I have just a short question and was asking myself if you might have an answer to this :slight_smile:

In how far is nem partnering with Morpheus labs? What do they do to support each other?

Thx in advance :slight_smile:

Ben Gee, [03.05.18 17:40]
[In reply to CryptoMike]
^ The kind of thing it would be Community Support employees job to know and respond too.

The chosen community manager (s) could be funded by it. We could make a proposal for the first annual budget.

Excuse me, I had to leave the house after the post and did not pursue it first.

So I have been talking to one or the other about this idea for some days. And it seems that the idea is well received. What was the answer when you suggested it? @tongokongo

1. We as a community do not have to wait for permission from the Foundation.

2. Personally, I think it should be a Japanese / Asian because most of that happens there and maybe someone for Europe and America.

3. It will take some time to find suitable candidates for the election.

4.When we are closed, we have a small lever to put some gentle pressure on some projects or operations.

Since Nelson has been promoted and now has more and more presentations and travel on the program is not really possible anyway.NEM%20%E2%80%93%20Distributed%20Ledger%20Technology%20%20Blockchain%20%20%C2%BB%20Foundation(2)

Thanks guys, but no, I have a fullfilling full time job and many side projects, also I don’t feel good working “for” someone, I need to be directly connected to a project, like I am with NEM right now, just doing my job without too much supervision .

But I like the idea, let’s find suitable candidates and create a voting. At the end of the day we would have ready list of few people. And it would be up to Foundation to connect with those people, pay them regular bounties and help them.

But before the election I would be super focused on discussing possible requirements. what those community managers should do? How can they help?
Of course first possible answer is just to help newbies on chats, connect them with projects and speak about the technology. Probably the same on twitter, facebook, reddit, many unanswered questions under the offical channel’s posts. I think that would be just basic need. But also there should be a whole tunnel open between Foundation and community, with work to do, bounties etc, and community managers should be helpful with managing those bounties and public work to do.

1 Like

I agree with that, except for questions and organizational matters, I also see the need for an interest representation for us, sound stupid but something like a “union”. Do not forget that there are already @mizunashi and @CryptoBeliever who are grief boxes for the community.

I think it is a good idea, each region does not have the same expectations, it is important to make a different communication for Westerners and Asians.

I took the initiative to create a twitter for the French community (https://twitter.com/nemfrance); I do it in my spare time and try to relay as much information as possible.

We should go back to the drawing board and consider what criteria the candidates have to meet. We all had one or the other effort to promote Nem, I held meetups in Munich and created the https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgiV795RpvbyiJYU2eJHmkA channel on Youtube for Nem but we should ally ourselves. Please continue to share ideas on the subject.

The simplest is certainly to make a communication divided in two, one for Asians, mainly Japanese and the other for Westerners;

1 Like

What kind of responsibility would a CM have ?

His most important task would be to bundle information from the community, to rate it and to forward it to the respective responsible person in the Foundation.

The advertised bounties for community projects like Nem101, Youtube, ect. to distribute. Or to act as a mediator for it.

And generally work as a community representation of interests.

According to the current state, it should be about 5. ( My personal opinion )

1. for Japan

2. for Asia, Oceania

3. for Europe, Africa

4. for North America

5. for South America

I was following the discussion in NEM RED, and some people said that NEM needs more youtube videos and one CM.
We already have a CM, Alex is the director of communications, She is also doing the Inside NEM videos, press releases and articles in medium. Moreover we have influencers like Tony, who is doing tutorials and other useful videos. Klim is kind of CM, helping with the Nem News, instagram and social media.
Nelson also bring news from the crypto world and the community, and manage channels.
Nem red, nemberia, have admins.
Recently we have a NEM youtube channel in Spanish very professional with interviews in English, tutorials and more to come.
So What´s exactly NEM needs apart of or the examples I pointed?

First, thank you for your opinion.

Second, a few of the people named above share the opinion that a central figure could channel these efforts.
(like @tongokongo who is Tony)

as described above it goes far more than just marketing / Youtube.

Thank you

I brought up a lack of youtube content but it was only a small part of a discussion on improving community support and communty + Foundation relations. InsideNEM is great but my point was there is a lot of easy potential content that is not being taken advantage of.

InsideNEM usually has about 4 videos a month and they’re a great way to keep in touch with the overall progress of the NEM platform, however because there are 4 episodes a month there is a limited amount of content that can be put into each video (Alex does a good job of selecting the best and then creating a very high quality video) but when comparing it to the amount of potential content that NEM has available I think there is a lot of waste.

I see almost daily twitter, Telegram and Instagram content where NEM has been at a convention, conference, a meeting, a news interview, a NEM meetup - this could easily be made into simple almost daily content. A few sound bites, visual shots etc.

There is a reason why big youtube channels put out almost daily content, whereas NEM Official is averaging it looks like 2 videos per month. It doesn’t need to all be as polished/long/structured as InsideNEM. This doesn’t include all of the extra interviews that could be done with projects working on NEM like Choice, Coinvest, NEMchange, Travelbybit, Ethyl - I would think a lot of them would be happy to have more of a presence on the NEM Official youtube channel.

The main point I see community members trying to make is that the current NEM Community Team as good as it is, is stretched thin. It sounds like Alex is already working like a maniac - this should be an indication to expand the team not ignore things that the team doesn’t have time to do.

Tony mentioned offering to essentially do the above free of charge (which is craziness in my opinion - but shows Tony’s passion for NEM) and got rebuffed, DogWan another well known community member described the Foundation as “a closed shop” and there are many other good communities members that feel a divide and a wall when it comes to community + Foundation relations.
Anyone who kept an eye on the community over the last few months would have seen that Tony in particular became very frustrated at one point and he is a shining example of a good community member - though he seems to be in much better spirits now.

I think when good community members such as those who posted in this thread and those who get involved in similar discussions on Telegram / voice their frustrations in Telegram are starting to try and take things into their own hands by launching a Community Fund Proposal, it should be an indication that something is not right.

Even with the NEM:RED and Nemberia admins I see enquiries from businesses, projects and individuals that go completely unnoticted or not responded to for many hours.

I don’t think we need a CM, I think we need 3 or 4 people to work under Alex/Nelz so that the NEM Foundation Community team can run at a level that befits a billion dollar blockchain with hundreds of millions of dollars of funds available. We should have first class community support, interaction + content.

4 Likes

Alex is busy. I tried to connect with her for past few months and never got more than few minutes of her time on telegram, I am not even speaking about calls. I contacted Kristof after his appointment and he had more time for me than Alex in past few months of our cooperation. Alex is good at what she does but I don’t think she’s a good fit for community manager. Not with her current assignment.
Nelson does his job but he is busy, supervising many projects, he has his team and he is just focusing there.

Admins rarely reply to posts. I see few people active on those forums, helping, and all those people are doing it recently to promote mycoinvest. I think it’s a good marketing from their side, that’s why I am not against it (mycoinvest) but at the same time I am not into it as I feel it’s not a good quality project. Anyway, there is a lack and those guys are fitting into it, promoting their own project.

Yes, spanish channel is super cool. Good quality content, but the same, there need to be a call to action. I spoke about that with Kristof, on every meetup I am presenting at, I have a bunch of paper wallets to give. Sometimes I am asking to import it to nanowallet and send me some screenshot and then I am sending more. Calls to action, if we want to build comunity, we need to attach people to our project.

Also there are organised groups of community members that aren’t looking at NEM Foundation actions in a good light. If NEM would have a community manager, one of his roles would be having a knowledge about those groups and trying to bring their efforts more on the central track.

What’s more. I am personally contacting exchanges, payment processors and companies here in Canada but also worldwide. The biggest help I got from NEM team is my own email address so I could look more professional than sending messages from @gmail :wink: But few times I asked people with bigger followership than me (10k+) from NEM foundation to ping those services on Twitter, to maybe show them that they’ll have our support. It never happened. This also would be a job of a community manager in my eyes.

NEM wallet needs a lot of new modules. Translations. We have a community and we have a NEM Foundation. But there is a lack of personality that is connecting those two entities. People would do a job for some appreciation/bounty. And NEM Foundation would have a job done. This is another example.

Moreover, have anyone from NEM Foundation contacted the hackathon winners? I don’t think so as I personally spoke with them and their attitude towards NEM was at least bad. I feel they did their job and weren’t appreciated for that. Their bounty was calculated in the way that they did got less money. They worked on some apps, got ideas how to improve some small issues with NEM but no-one was there to hear them out. They had some cool projects, but no-one put out time to show them that they could do community fund proposals to continue working on their apps. Sounds like a job for a community manager.

The community manager should know all the groups inside NEM ecosystem and should try to inform and connect those group to create a synergy.

I think I know what I am talking about as I am researching many projects and with all of those projects, the help is comming almost immediately from the admins on chats. And this help is always 100% factual.

I am doing videos but I don’t know if I am still motivated to do so. I started being influencer only to show that organisation in NEM is bad, as in my opinion I was outworking a team of people without any help of NEM. Now, with the new president, I am not so motivated anymore(I feel I played some role on the changes), don’t see any interaction between me and team, every time when I am spending time helping NEM I feel like I am killing myself. I thought that doing NEM news daily, my channel will grow. I couldn’t be more wrong, NEM social media team is putting out maybe 1 out of 10 daily videos on social media channels, that’s why I’ll probably finish this series after ep.100. I am putting almost all my free time to create those videos and when I see they aren’t performing their role (to educate and bring interest about NEM), then I just think it is a time to make some changes.

And I agree 100% with @BenGee

5 Likes

Youtube has been fully compromised by corporate and government interests.
Nope I do not want Alex as a community organizer.
I am busy mourning the loss of Lon Wong and Jeff.
Nelz is great, as are the team.
Nem needs motherfuckers, not “merit driven folk”.
I ain’t got no time for that.
Lets face it Nem is starting to look like a distro that nobody supports.
The reasons are as follows:
1.) Its not sexy anymore - It was in the top ten and had such charismatic leaders as Lon and Jeff.
2.) Youtube content battles against shills for views, the market is in fact not representative of anything, ie Bitconnect in the top 10 last year, with the likes of Trevon James now hated fraudster getting millions of subs.
3.) Availability, its still hard for the small timer to get cheap xem (thats right! cheap xem).
4.) The Nem exchange appears to have died off the line and this actually gave Nem a lot of cred in 2017, yet in 2018 it appears to be a pipe dream.
5.) Nem has no ammo against shill coins like Ripple and BitcoinCash who are taking the market by storm from hype alone.

And the big one.
Nem is failing to connect with SEA countries, It may have taken off in Japan, yet SEA is a different kettle of fish, it is a far wider and richer landscape and in general the name Nem alone will not carry it through.

Watch out because Stellar Lumens will have its eye on the SEA market sooner than you think.

This is some marketing bullshit, i don’t think it brings anything positive into a topic of a community manager.

2 Likes