Lightwallet STANDALONE 1.1 + 1.2

Standalone Lightwallet

As promised, we’ve prepared standalone versions of lightwallet. NO NIS REQUIRED! :smiley:

Standalone lightwallet (or lightweight wallet), makes it possible to use XEM without the need of downloading whole chain.

We’ve prepared only windows packages - sorry linux/mac folks (more notes on linux at the bottom of the post).

There are two variants, one running on nginx one running on python+tornado, choose any.

Both variants start on port 7777, this will conflict with running nis, there are several options:

1. Simplest one - don’t run NIS on that machine,
  2. Change NIS websocket port in the configuration,
  3. Change standalone lightwallet port (this is possible only via nginx variant, via conf/nginx.conf file)

DOWNLOAD

http://bob.nem.ninja/

PASSWORD for the lightwallet zip file is “nem”, (that’s due to google being irritating).

Usage

After you connect you should be present with a page where you can select nodes (if you want to change it permanently, you can edit light/lightwallet/nodes.js file):

After selecting node, status will change, and you’ll be presented with list of wallets (if created).

Linux notes:

Repository is available at https://github.com/NewEconomyMovement/nem-lightwallet
There are only few redirects that are needed:

/lightwallet/wallet/* -> /lightwallet/index.html
/lightwallet/login    -> /lightwallet/index.html
/lightwallet          -> /lightwallet/index.html

In nginx, this can be achieved easily using try_files directive as follows:

location /lightwallet {
        root   light;
        try_files $uri /lightwallet/index.html;
    }

Lightwallet introduction
NEM Beta 0.6.72 + 0.6.73

There is something missing with the Nginx. Doesn’t want to fire up. I think it has something to do with the paths.

works fine here.

@rockethead perhaps nis is running?

OK. Solved the problem. Click nginx.exe ONE time only. Command prompt screen will open momentarily and just close off. It is ok. Nginx is just a webserver. So, by executing it once, you have created a webserver on your local host. And that is good enough.

REPEAT: Don’t click Nginx.exe many times. It will fire up multiple webserver instances. That’s what I did. :smile:

Next, fire up web browser screen and type this url on the screen:

http://localhost:7777/

That’s it. You are on your way to a great wallet.

If you want to stop the webserver, just execute stop-nginx.bat at the window explorer or just type “nginx -s stop” in the directory where nginx.exe is located. This will stop the web server.

those are good instructions

Doesn’t seem to work.

I’m having a dejavu here but works fine here :smiley:

Something is not quite right for sure. maybe browsing history or cache. I even deleted the file and the old parameters come on still.

I confirm the same thing with another browser. Don’t know how to reset it.

Basically clear history fixed it. So, a bit clumsy here. Need to have a way to clear it on exit from the page.

just wondering… is it possible for somebody to put this in a Chromium or like Chromium wrapper so when a person does a double click it just pops up like its own stand alone app?

@jabo38 trust me, compiling chromium is the last thing you’d like to do :wink:

I guess it’d be fine if a bat was included that started nginx and then opened firefox.

start nginx start http://127.0.0.1:7777

good idea, will add at to next package build

okay, just checking.

maybe something else? not sure.

that is a great idea.

looking forward to it!

Also, on top of that, maybe if there was a logout or stop ngix button in the browser?

I know the shield takes us back and I like that, so not quite sure what it would be or how.

I have a question regarding the Lightwallet.
Once the nginx Lightwallet is downloaded and started, it is available in the browser on 127.0.0.1:7777 and it can be used to connect to a remote NIS, for example on go.nem.ninja:7777
However, if the browser is used to go directly to go.nem.ninja:7777 the lightwallet is available as well.

So why is the nginx server used in the middle, between the browser and the NIS?

it will NOT be available directly on the server in future, here’s the reason:

Ah, ok, I see.
What would the typical use case for the lightwallet be in that case?

I do not follow o0

Typical use case would be daily usage.

I only implied that you shouldn’t use lightwallet deployed directly on some node, as it might be fake.
You should use lightwallet that you run locally.