NEM Beta 0.4.17

If it is 60 transactions/block and 70 transactions get sent out, do those other 10 get included in the next block?
Does anyone know this?

i think they do yes.. at least i think thats what one of the devs mentioned anyway.

ERROR 305

NEM Infrastructure Server is not available.

If it is 60 transactions/block and 70 transactions get sent out, do those other 10 get included in the next block?
Does anyone know this?

i think they do yes.. at least i think thats what one of the devs mentioned anyway.
where was this mentioned?

red bar all day long , NIS is not available , had a hard time all long , first day hav'nt beem able to get on ? Won't run in windows 8 , windows 7. NIS starts 5 seconds NIS stops . All week been on , but kicked me off a lot . Could'nt get on all day , loaded new 0.4.17 same thing ?

Hi corjette,

if NIS shuts down after 5 seconds it can mean different things. There could be already some program accessing the database and preventing NIS from using the databse too. But it could also mean the databse is corrupt. Could upload the NIS logs located in c:\users\<user name>\nem\nis\logs to a file hoster and share the link here?

Bloody Rookie
[/quote
ERROR 305

Does anyone know this?

The 60 most important (sorted by fee then by time) are included in a block, the rest stays for the next block.

ERROR 305

Hi corjette,

to help you I need the NIS log files.
You find them in  c:\users\<user name>\nem\nis\logs.
You can try to reboot your pc too and then try again.

Bloody Rookie

Does anyone know this?

The 60 most important (sorted by fee then by time) are included in a block, the rest stays for the next block.
Thanks for the reply :). Won't this also create a bottleneck?

Is the NCC's Client Info updated?

Here it shows 0.4.12-BETA.

Seems to be stuck in :
"NIS is synchronizing. At block 4321, est. 12 days behind."
and progresses slowly.

BTW, what is accounts_cache.json in \ncc\ ?

Removed all NEM sw and deleted \NEM\, but still that 0.4.12.
Maybe the browser must be closed also ... or even the whole pc.

Trying to use webstart ...

Rebooted pc. Installed that webstart-version as usually. The 3rd time on this Tuesday.

Can someone confirm, what [u]version the NCC's Client Info[/u] shows?

Here it still shows 0.4.12-BETA.
And sync is slower than earlier ... robots?

Rebooted pc. Installed that webstart-version as usually. The 3rd time on this Tuesday.

Hi nxkoil,

seems you are one of theose guys where webstart doesn't update ::(
So i would recomment the following (assuming you are running windows):

1) In a command windows enter "javaws -viewer" to open the window with the java software installed. Remove every software there.
2) Delete the java cache described for instance here: http://www.tacomacc.edu/upload/files/distancelearning/tutorials/How_to_Clear_Java_Cache_in_Windows_7.pdf
3) Delete the folders in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
4) Delete the folders in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
5) Delete (if there are files) files starting with "nem-" in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp

I guess then your computer should be clean. Then install again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bloody Rookie

I'm using standalone version.
I see all *.properties files are already included in nem-infrastructure-server__V0.4.17-BETA.jar so editing config.properties has no effect at all.

Any way I can change values in .properties files?

The standalone has a property file in the nis directory. You can change the values there.

Something that is little understood here (at least by me). I have not really bothered much before and now I am beginning to explore. If I press the Start Remote harvesting, must I have a remote server already in place? I do not have a remote server configured but I started remote harvesting anyway just for the heck of it.

And then it says activating remote harvesting and the button cannot deactivate anymore. In the meantime I started local harvesting. Question: Which is which now? It is harvesting locally or is it trying to look for a remote server to activate?

Hi Rockethead,

Remote harvesting does not need a remote server. The term remote referrs to the fact that a different account is used to harvest. That "remote" account uses the importance from the other account.
Once in state activating, it cannot be deactivated until the activation phase is over (24 hours). Meanwhile you can do local harvesting, no problem.

Bloody Rookie

Hi Rockethead,

Remote harvesting does not need a remote server. The term remote referrs to the fact that a different account is used to harvest. That "remote" account uses the importance from the other account.
Once in state activating, it cannot be deactivated until the activation phase is over (24 hours). Meanwhile you can do local harvesting, no problem.

Bloody Rookie

I hope it is planned to abort remote harvesting while it is in that 24 h activation period...?

@mixmaster: why would you need that? Where is the advantage to make it abortable?

Hi nxkoil,

seems you are one of theose guys where webstart doesn't update ::(
So i would recomment the following (assuming you are running windows):

1) In a command windows enter "javaws -viewer" to open the window with the java software installed. Remove every software there.
2) Delete the java cache described for instance here: http://www.tacomacc.edu/upload/files/distancelearning/tutorials/How_to_Clear_Java_Cache_in_Windows_7.pdf
3) Delete the folders in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
4) Delete the folders in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
5) Delete (if there are files) files starting with "nem-" in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp

I guess then your computer should be clean. Then install again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bloody Rookie

A. About those pre-install procedures

step 1. There is 5 items from NEM (Vendor is NEM Community).
            There is also Java Detection and Java Uninstall (vendor is Oracle).
          Should also those 2 items be deleted?

step 2. - 3.  would be ok
step 4.              no \Sun\    under  \Local\
step 5.            no nem* files

Not yet started that procedure, coz ...

B. About Webstart

"seems you are one of theose guys where webstart doesn't update "

What could be the reason for that?
(Until this day I have always used NEM-webstart and basically it has worked, when I have remembered to delete old files/sw before starting the new version.)

The reason for this question is "critical", coz I especially decided to use webstart: it sounded so advanced system (no need to make any updates - all will happen automatically), it sounded as new and advanced as NEM itself.
Therefore I decided to use webstart, though I had ALWAYS used only standalone softwares.
Now... the question is: should I anyway leave these advanced sw's and go back to robust installations ie. in this case NEM-standalone ? :)

regards, pseudonym "I hate clouds"

PS.  [u]Webstart would be really the ideal way[/u] to take NEM to the people all around the world: easy to start, seamless and easy SW updating on the background.
But if it is not working properly, then it is a risk.
Do you know, how many use webstart? 
Are there enough webstart-testers?
Should you pay for testing webstart?  ;)

@mixmaster: why would you need that? Where is the advantage to make it abortable?

I don't know. I think changing your mind is reason enough...?

I deleted my NEM folder and restarted by clicking the NOM icon.  Things started up pretty quickly and smoothly.  It took 19:03 and NIS was fully synchronized.  Under 20 minutes is pretty good I think for running a full node.

here is my take:

Nov 04, 2014 7:48:47 PM org.nem.peer.services.NodeSynchronizer synchronize
INFORMATION: synchronizing with Node [san <TD7SXI3XKDKATLL6HTJA453BNRKVOPVRZGBJUSAN>] @ [198.50.144.201]
Nov 04, 2014 8:00:01 PM org.nem.peer.services.NodeSynchronizer synchronize
INFORMATION: synchronizing with Node [jusan <TBJUSANZ63AKNJ57XMK6Y2IBH55UNNRXJFZRDTRW>] @ [37.187.198.49] finished

First entry is where syncing starts and sencond one when syncing ended: 11:14 for 22900 blocks.
You can add 1 minute booting and maybe a minute for starting NIS.

Using the bot I got a blockchain branch again  :(
I'll post the logs and file on the other thread.
;)

Is your Parana Bot well configured? I can't reach the node under the IP that my node is displaying for your node.

I had turned it off while posting data and uploading things.

About the interface language changes: I got a damn bug and nothing more worked and needed to reinstall all java 8 on linux PC.

Now its working properly.

;)

A. About those pre-install procedures

step 1. There is 5 items from NEM (Vendor is NEM Community).
            There is also Java Detection and Java Uninstall (vendor is Oracle).
          Should also those 2 items be deleted?

step 2. - 3.  would be ok
step 4.              no \Sun\    under  \Local\
step 5.            no nem* files

Not yet started that procedure, coz ...

B. About Webstart

"seems you are one of theose guys where webstart doesn't update "

What could be the reason for that?
(Until this day I have always used NEM-webstart and basically it has worked, when I have remembered to delete old files/sw before starting the new version.)

The reason for this question is "critical", coz I especially decided to use webstart: it sounded so advanced system (no need to make any updates - all will happen automatically), it sounded as new and advanced as NEM itself.
Therefore I decided to use webstart, though I had ALWAYS used only standalone softwares.
Now... the question is: should I anyway leave these advanced sw's and go back to robust installations ie. in this case NEM-standalone ? :)

regards, pseudonym "I hate clouds"

PS.  [u]Webstart would be really the ideal way[/u] to take NEM to the people all around the world: easy to start, seamless and easy SW updating on the background.
But if it is not working properly, then it is a risk.
Do you know, how many use webstart? 
Are there enough webstart-testers?
Should you pay for testing webstart?  ;)

Hi nxkoil,

step1: it is enough to uninstall the 5 NEM items.

The problem with webstart is, that though the idea behind it is very nice (and that is the reason we decided to use it), it is not open source and therefore hard to find out why it doesn't work on some systems. We are aware of the problems but havn't found a solution yet.
Do you want to be a webstart tester?

Bloody Rookie

Something that is little understood here (at least by me). I have not really bothered much before and now I am beginning to explore. If I press the Start Remote harvesting, must I have a remote server already in place? I do not have a remote server configured but I started remote harvesting anyway just for the heck of it.

And then it says activating remote harvesting and the button cannot deactivate anymore. In the meantime I started local harvesting. Question: Which is which now? It is harvesting locally or is it trying to look for a remote server to activate?

Hi Rockethead,

Bloody Rookie

Thanks. Does it mean then that if it is under remote harvesting, I can switch the terminal off and leave the remote account to continue harvesting from elsewhere, effectively making the wallet "cold"?

Subsequently if people keep sending NEMs to me this will add on to the remote account and gives rise to some incremental importance while at the same time losing some importance for not sending NEMs out?

Thanks. Does it mean then that if it is under remote harvesting, I can switch the terminal off and leave the remote account to continue harvesting from elsewhere, effectively making the wallet "cold"?

Subsequently if people keep sending NEMs to me this will add on to the remote account and gives rise to some incremental importance while at the same time losing some importance for not sending NEMs out?

1) Once you start harvesting (no matter whether it is the normal account or another (remote) account which received the importance from the former) you can shut down ncc and it will still harvest. Again, "remote" in the term "remote harvesting" has nothing to do with the physical location of the NIS, it just says that the account that could harvest locally leased its harvesting power to another account (which is called remote account, a term which obviously causes confusion).

2) If the original account is receiving NEM and its importance grows, the remote account's harvesting power grows too. There is nothing like losing importance for not sending NEM to others. It is the other way around, you gain importance by sending NEM to others.

Bloody Rookie