NEM Beta 0.4.17

NCC's graphics lag pretty much in opera (which is based on chromium). If I open NCC in IE there is no lag what so ever. And I do not think it has anything to do with my computer as it is pretty decent (i5, 760, ssd).

A. About those pre-install procedures

step 1. There is 5 items from NEM (Vendor is NEM Community).
            There is also Java Detection and Java Uninstall (vendor is Oracle).
          Should also those 2 items be deleted?

step 2. - 3.  would be ok
step 4.              no \Sun\    under  \Local\
step 5.            no nem* files

Not yet started that procedure, coz ...

B. About Webstart

"seems you are one of theose guys where webstart doesn't update "

What could be the reason for that?
(Until this day I have always used NEM-webstart and basically it has worked, when I have remembered to delete old files/sw before starting the new version.)

The reason for this question is "critical", coz I especially decided to use webstart: it sounded so advanced system (no need to make any updates - all will happen automatically), it sounded as new and advanced as NEM itself.
Therefore I decided to use webstart, though I had ALWAYS used only standalone softwares.
Now... the question is: should I anyway leave these advanced sw's and go back to robust installations ie. in this case NEM-standalone ? :)

regards, pseudonym "I hate clouds"

PS.  [u]Webstart would be really the ideal way[/u] to take NEM to the people all around the world: easy to start, seamless and easy SW updating on the background.
But if it is not working properly, then it is a risk.
Do you know, how many use webstart? 
Are there enough webstart-testers?
Should you pay for testing webstart?  ;)

Hi nxkoil,

step1: it is enough to uninstall the 5 NEM items.

The problem with webstart is, that though the idea behind it is very nice (and that is the reason we decided to use it), it is not open source and therefore hard to find out why it doesn't work on some systems. We are aware of the problems but havn't found a solution yet.
Do you want to be a webstart tester?

Bloody Rookie

I might want ... test webstart (Windows 7) with certain limits and liberties :)
My testing would be like the usage of common end-user but with the knowledge of features to be wathced after.
So, ... I do not want to join any reporting systems other than these forums or emails... or the freigeist's proposal (this issue has been discussed already elsewhere ... though it is still an open issue ;) )

So who was the user who was bombarding the network with transactions?
If you want to test the network, start with resonable amounts and if it works, increase it.
The network didn't break down and ate through all transactionsbut since we limited the transactions/block there were a lot of unconfirmed transactions.
So it needed some time for all transactions to get through.

If you want to test the network, start with resonable amounts and if it works, increase it.
The network didn't break down and ate through all transactionsbut since we limited the transactions/block there were a lot of unconfirmed transactions.

Can I let my notebook AND pc spamming the network? I'll let it as 20 seconds transactions.

and my pc Ill try different values.

=)

so the network was able to withstand the bombardment of transactions.. but just went a bit slower? any stats on the number of transactions it had to deal with and how many blocks got back logged?

As long as the limit of 60 tx/block is not exceeded you can do it, no problem.
If you do more tx/block, then transactions will pile up. So to get a transaction through at once the users would need to set a higher fee than the fee that the spam bot uses.
That is inconvenient for the users and they will not understand why their transaction needs a lot of time to get through.

so the network was able to withstand the bombardment of transactions.. but just went a bit slower? any stats on the number of transactions it had to deal with and how many blocks got back logged?

The network itself had no problems but the spamming was not for very long. Each block was full (60 tx/block) and there were more than 700 tx waiting to be included.
Since the spamming lasted not very long it is hard to tell if there would have been longer block times or forks if it had continued.
IMO the spamming should start at a moderate level and then increase to see where the point is where it is beginning to make problems.
averagejoe just doesn't seem to realize how testing works in order to get information from testing.

The network itself had no problems but the spamming was not for very long. Each block was full (60 tx/block) and there were more than 700 tx waiting to be included.
Since the spamming lasted not very long it is hard to tell if there would have been longer block times or forks if it had continued.
IMO the spamming should start at a moderate level and then increase to see where the point is where it is beginning to make problems.
averagejoe just doesn't seem to realize how testing works in order to get information from testing.
yes, im sorry, im not smart like the developers  :(

yes, im sorry, im not smart like the developers  :(

It's ok. You are trying but do let BR your plans so that he knows what to expect and give you his feedback. That way the test is more constructive.

Since some time last evening I was disconnected from NIS and even after restarting both NCC and NIS multiple times it seems I still cannot connect and I'm not sure why. Here is a pastebin of my latest log file: http://pastebin.com/cQQe9YPn

It says that there is a problem with the database being locked, although I'm not sure how that could have happened. What is the solution for this (and more importantly, what causes it)?

EDIT: It seems there was still an instance of jp2launcher.exe running even after closing NOM. I killed it from Task Manager and was able to delete the .db files in the nis/data folder which seems to have fixed the problem. Upon further investigation, it seems that every time I close NOM via the task tray, it leaves an instance of jp2launcher.exe running in the background. I assume that is not intentional, but I wonder why that is happening?

@amytheplanarshift: I will investigate the issue.

I think it is pretty awesome that the network survived the spamming of over 60 transactions per block.  (I didn't have anything to do with it)

I think BloodyRookie is right though.  NEM needs to be put through a serious of measured tests in increments to see how it handles and just when problems may start to arise. 

Since some time last evening I was disconnected from NIS and even after restarting both NCC and NIS multiple times it seems I still cannot connect and I'm not sure why. Here is a pastebin of my latest log file: http://pastebin.com/cQQe9YPn

It says that there is a problem with the database being locked, although I'm not sure how that could have happened. What is the solution for this (and more importantly, what causes it)?

EDIT: It seems there was still an instance of jp2launcher.exe running even after closing NOM. I killed it from Task Manager and was able to delete the .db files in the nis/data folder which seems to have fixed the problem. Upon further investigation, it seems that every time I close NOM via the task tray, it leaves an instance of jp2launcher.exe running in the background. I assume that is not intentional, but I wonder why that is happening?

Did you exit and shutdown or just exit? I don't have this problem because I have long since found out from Alpha that I make sure I kill everything before I start any instance. ;)

I tested it and on my computer all instances of jp2launcher.exe are closed when i click on the "Exit and shutdown" menu item in nem monitor. Only if I choose "Exit" two of the jp2launcher.exex instances (NIS and NCC) stay in the task manager which is wanted.
It seems that the problem you encountered is dependent on the NIS state. Can you please try again and provide the full NIS log (from start to shutdown of nem monitor) in case the same problem still occurs (not all instances of jp2launcher.exe get closed).

Bloody Rookie

I tested it and on my computer all instances of jp2launcher.exe are closed when i click on the "Exit and shutdown" menu item in nem monitor. Only if I choose "Exit" two of the jp2launcher.exex instances (NIS and NCC) stay in the task manager which is wanted.
It seems that the problem you encountered is dependent on the NIS state. Can you please try again and provide the full NIS log (from start to shutdown of nem monitor) in case the same problem still occurs (not all instances of jp2launcher.exe get closed).

Bloody Rookie

I tried several times since then and it seems to work now. I'm not sure why the process got stuck before. It could have been an error on my part or closing something in the Task Manager that I wasn't by accident. I will keep running the client to see if I have issues with NIS again though, as it seemed to disconnect me and start acting up just out of the blue while I was doing something completely unrelated before. Could just have been a totally random incident, though.

A. About those pre-install procedures

step 1. There is 5 items from NEM (Vendor is NEM Community).
            There is also Java Detection and Java Uninstall (vendor is Oracle).
          Should also those 2 items be deleted?

step 2. - 3.  would be ok
step 4.              no \Sun\    under  \Local\
step 5.            no nem* files

Not yet started that procedure, coz ...

B. About Webstart

"seems you are one of theose guys where webstart doesn't update "

What could be the reason for that?
(Until this day I have always used NEM-webstart and basically it has worked, when I have remembered to delete old files/sw before starting the new version.)

The reason for this question is "critical", coz I especially decided to use webstart: it sounded so advanced system (no need to make any updates - all will happen automatically), it sounded as new and advanced as NEM itself.
Therefore I decided to use webstart, though I had ALWAYS used only standalone softwares.
Now... the question is: should I anyway leave these advanced sw's and go back to robust installations ie. in this case NEM-standalone ? :)

regards, pseudonym "I hate clouds"

PS.  [u]Webstart would be really the ideal way[/u] to take NEM to the people all around the world: easy to start, seamless and easy SW updating on the background.
But if it is not working properly, then it is a risk.
Do you know, how many use webstart? 
Are there enough webstart-testers?
Should you pay for testing webstart?  ;)

Hi nxkoil,

step1: it is enough to uninstall the 5 NEM items.

The problem with webstart is, that though the idea behind it is very nice (and that is the reason we decided to use it), it is not open source and therefore hard to find out why it doesn't work on some systems. We are aware of the problems but havn't found a solution yet.
Do you want to be a webstart tester?

Bloody Rookie

I might want ... test webstart (Windows 7) with certain limits and liberties :)
My testing would be like the usage of common end-user but with the knowledge of features to be wathced after.
So, ... I do not want to join any reporting systems other than these forums or emails... or the freigeist's proposal (this issue has been discussed already elsewhere ... though it is still an open issue ;) )

Started testing that webstart installation.

First tried only to do the step 1.

"1) In a command windows enter "javaws -viewer" to open the window with the java software installed. "

a) I removed only the sw (5 items), whose vendor is NEM community.

In those earlier and failed installations had happened so that after the installation and the 1st start of NEM monitor, there was [u]not asked the confirmation[/u] about the to Run Lorenz's Java apps. That was little bit suspicious then and that's why thought that maybe the step 1 is the solution.

... So :
  b) I did not delete \nem\ folder and did not steps 2 - 5 either.
      Just clicked http://bob.nem.ninja/webstart/nem-monitor.jnlp for the webstart

What happened then?
      - confirmations to run run Lorenz' sw were asked  (3 * OK )
      - Monitor is starting ... NIS and NCC also ...
      - When NIS had started, I clicked "Open wallet".
            All the wallets were available. Selected the test wallet.
          Wallet opened and NIS started synchronizing ...
              ... all the money seemed to be there.
          Tried sending some coins ... 
            the transaction was 'pending' quite a long time, but finally it was confirmed
            and also the BlockChainExplorer showed it.
          Sent another sum and started harvesting with the 0.08% importance.

Maybe the installation was ok ?  :)

...  or were there something in the steps 2 - 5, which must be done ?
      What symptoms will prove that some step should have been done ?

If the step 1 is enough, then it may lead to some solution in the "webstart-update-problem" ...

------------
Could the update problem relate to the 32-bit issue?
In Control Panel is though "Java (32-bit)", but in the downloaded (and possibly) in August installed files were jre-8u20-windows-x64(1) and such :)
Anyway, this update from 0.4.12 to 0.4.17 was the first one, which was not successful.

@nxkoil: Steps 2-5 ensure that absolutely no piece of nem is on the computer :slight_smile:
Better to do it thoroughly after it had failed for you. I already encountered a situation where i had to delete that stuff too.

Bloody Rookie

Blocks 25677-25769 had 60 tx/block in sequence. My node (HP 15-g000sr) broke down, NIS is not available! Two days before it works 24/7 fine. Port 7890 is opened.

i got a similar behavior with the database by entering a blockchain Branch. The DB becomes useless and need to delete everything, except the *.wlt file,  and restart all it.

But seem really more solid the version 0,4,17.

;)

@nxkoil: Steps 2-5 ensure that absolutely no piece of nem is on the computer :)
Better to do it thoroughly after it had failed for you. I already encountered a situation where i had to delete that stuff too.

Bloody Rookie

ok.

0) - Stopped harvesting. Closed wallet. 
    - Exit & Shutdown. Closed NCC's tab from the browser.
    - deleted    C:\Users\<WindowsUserName>\nem\  (wallets were
                              backed up earlier)
        If the deletion is not allowed, try to stop jp2launcher.exe from TaskManager.

1) In a command windows enter "javaws -viewer" to open the window with the java software installed.
    - Removed all sw, whose vendor is NEM community.

2) Delete the java cache described for instance here: http://www.tacomacc.edu/upload/files/distancelearning/tutorials/How_to_Clear_Java_Cache_in_Windows_7.pdf

In Windows7's 'Delete files and applications' dialog is 3 items
      (in the Tutorial was 2 items). 
      Two of three are selected, the last is not selected by default: 
            [ x ]  Trace and Log Files         
            [ x ]  Cached Applications and Applets
            [    ]  Installed Applications and Applets

- not changing the default selections... so, deleting only those 2 categories

3) Delete the folders in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
              - deleted

4) Delete the folders in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
      - did not exist

5) Delete (if there are files) files starting with "nem-" in C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp
        - deleted  %h  from \Temp\    (%h was created in August)

6) Created  empty folders
              C:\Users\<WindowsUserName>\nem\
      and  C:\Users\<WindowsUserName>\nem\ncc
      Copied the wallet files (*.wlt) to \ncc\.

7) Opened  http://bob.nem.ninja/webstart/  and
    clicked      Launching NEM CLIENT    [u] Yes, start NEM client for me[/u]
            A dialog is opened: 
                              nem-monitor.jnlp
            Open it with Java(TM) Web Start Launcher (default)    or
            Save it ?
              - the file is opened with Java WebStart.

A dialog is opened: 
                  Do you want to run this application?    NEM Monitor
                  - Run

A dialog is opened: 
                  Do you want to run this application?    NEM Community Client
                  - Run

A dialog is opened: 
                  Do you want to run this application?    NEM Infrastructure Server
                  - Run

WebBrowser is opened with NCC ... NIS is starting ...
  < waiting until NIS is started >
    When the NEM icon in the Task bar says:
          "NIS is running (local node not booted), NCC is running", then
  click "OPEN YOUR WALLET" in NCC.
  A popup dialog with the copied wallets is opened :)

One wallet is opened.
    ... Booting ... NIS is synchronizing ...
  (Client Info shows "0.4.17-BETA" for both NCC and NIS.)
  ... NIS is synchronizing ...
    ... after 13 minutes it is fully synchronized (at block 25732).

Press  'Start Local harvesting' ...    nothing happens.
Press again ... comes "OOPS!  "-note.  But after that there is written "Stop local harvesting" - so, likely the harvesting started.

Send NEMs ...    pending ... after 1 min it is confirmed.

ok... seems to be working now :)