NEM Beta 0.4.30

[code]
java -Xms256M -Xmx384M -cp ".:./*:../libs/*" org.nem.core.deploy.CommonStarter
[/code]

Xmx328M  will most likely kill NIS (also check settings for db cache).

It might actually be better idea, to run nis without this switch, instead of making it low.
(with low value like this 384, GC will kick off quite often).

Also latest build might have some issues, but we're trying to nail it down.

I got this error so I didn't know what to do.  I went to Java Control Panel (on Windows 8.1 search for "Configure Java".  And then I added http://bob.nem.ninja/webstart/nem-monitor.jnlp to the exceptions site list under security.  After doing so, so far NEM is working well. 

was there some "details" button?
this sometimes happen, when one of the jar is unsigned, but
all the jars are signed, so there shouldn't be any problems

If I remember correctly there was a details button, but I didn't think to capture it. I will next time if there is a next time.  I'll try to delete everything and reproduce it.

For those who are running the standalone version. Maybe the db settings in db.properties cause a memory problem. You can downscale the cache size if you need.

One of the 1st things I tried reduced that nr. by 50%.
But sadly on my PC no impact.

Download and upgraded.
Sadly still having too many problems.
High mem (RAM) consumption, easy fix, tweak in bat file.
Reduced default value by 50% -> mem usage dropped by 50%.
Seems to have no impact on page file usage.

System becomes slow non responsive, HDD led constant on.
What are min system requirement ?
Me too,[url=https://github.com/NewEconomyMovement/NemCommunityClient/issues/118#issuecomment-63298562] reported here.

I instal in Linux MINT 17 MATE 64-bit.

But sync stop in 37297 (harvested for me).
And the internet continues to be used (download), even with the download blockchain is stopped.
I closed the wallet and started many times to see if it still download the chain, but not continue.

I have the same wallet opened in other work computer, without the last update (but I do not have access to it now) ... it affects my current wallet in home PC?

I have been trying to sync for the last two days now, was using standalone in Linux and had no problems with it until Saturday night then my node wasn't communicating with other nodes. Made new folders and started to download blockchain again but got stuck at 10401.

I am now using windows standalone and made it to 38401 but stuck again.

Would like to know if anyone else has trouble syncing from start, I mean starting from block 1.

I have checked http://chain.nem.ninja/checknis/ and it says We have successfully reached your node!

@averagejoe: judging from your logs i saw yesterday evening it looks like something was blocking every node your node tried to contact. The other direction was ok, you were receiving transaction and block data. You could try to ping some nodes manually and see if that is possible and if yes try some GET requests in your browser like alice2.nem.ninja:7890/node/info or go.nem.ninja:7890/chain/last-block.

@averagejoe: judging from your logs i saw yesterday evening it looks like something was blocking every node your node tried to contact. The other direction was ok, you were receiving transaction and block data. You could try to ping some nodes manually and see if that is possible and if yes try some GET requests in your browser like alice2.nem.ninja:7890/node/info or go.nem.ninja:7890/chain/last-block.

For last block i see 41249

and info on alice:
{"metaData":{"application":"?","version":"0.4.30-BETA","platform":"?"},"endpoint":{"protocol":"http","port":7890,"host":"85.25.36.97"},"identity":{"name":"Hi, I am Alice2","public-key":"3302e7703ee9f364c25bbfebb9c12ac91fa9dcd69e09a5d4f3830d71505a2350"}}

and my outgoing router log shows lots of connections to the nem network

I was able to ping alice2 and alice4

@averagejoe: Hmm…really strange…can you supply your latest logs via pm?

@averagejoe: Hmm....really strange...can you supply your latest logs via pm?

any luck?

Used a second laptop, Windows 8 and webstart, can't get past 38001  >:( :frowning:

Used a second laptop, Windows 8 and webstart, can't get past 38001  >:( :(

Are you using the two computers on the same network?

I discovered I was being blacklisted by anothers nodes, cause there was 2 wallets answering with the same IP... that means: There are two wallets with 2 public keys. The network expect one public key, which one is registerd by anothers nodes.

The two computrrs weren't on at the same time plus i think you can have multiple wallets from the same ip otherwise how will a family be able to use NEM if they can't have their own wallet?

Find this in a file called nis4.trace.db

11-17 09:59:25 jdbc[238945]: exception<br />org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: Timeout trying to lock table &quot;TRANSFERS&quot;; SQL statement:<br />select count(*) as col_0_0_ from transfers transfer0_ cross join blocks block1_ where transfer0_.blockId=block1_.id and (transfer0_.transferHash in (&#039;fdd9da033b72f31cfdc5dbf8ae0d0c466623b4ab2723db925526c7081314f8b3&#039;)) and block1_.height&lt;=? [50200-175]<br />11-17 10:06:30 jdbc[247354]: exception<br />org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: Timeout trying to lock table &quot;TRANSFERS&quot;; SQL statement:<br />select count(*) as col_0_0_ from transfers transfer0_ cross join blocks block1_ where transfer0_.blockId=block1_.id and (transfer0_.transferHash in (&#039;9f83de6fa63307bf0477fc940062f5e659e57a024d5cdff961a85e12e90c9ddd&#039;)) and block1_.height&lt;=? [50200-175]<br />
Hopefully the developers can find out what is going on otherwise I will be watching the NEM movement from the sidelines

One more thing i found. when i go to boot local node i see this:

Account to boot local node
TC7W…
<span class="null">&lt;No label&gt;</span>
I actually see the above line, it shows up just below where it shows my node account address

@averagejoe:
The problem with syncing is that your always runs into a timeout when it comes to those huge blocks around height 38000. The 400 block after 38400 that your node is requesting (and timeing out doing so) have 37981 transactions alltogether. Probably more then 10MB data have to be transferred. I don't know the download speed of your internet connection, could that be the problem? I could understand understand that slow nodes cannnot provide the data in time for your node but Alice4 for instance resides in the USA and since your node is on the same continent it should be fast enough.

Last time when I experimented on another computer I downloaded blockchain again, it lasted 6 hours. Loading hung on the block N. I have tried everything - open / close the port, remove blockchain and start again, eventually managed to get the sync. Internet speed 10 Mbps. Maybe I should have just waited. Another time synchronization occurs quickly when blockchain loaded fully.

This problem is not rare, [url=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=455591.msg9579173#msg9579173]a, [url=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=455591.msg9465777#msg9465777]b, [url=https://forum.ournem.com/index.php?topic=2578.msg8657#msg8657]c, [url=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=455591.msg9398259#msg9398259]d…

Now download progress indicator is very rude. Sometimes it seems that the process is stopped and hovered. Maybe it really hovered, maybe not. I propose to make a more subtle visual indicator of loading progress - one strip of rough, slow moving, and the other fine - it will be visible on loading at low speeds.

I guess raising the number of transaction per block to 120 wasn't a bright idea. It seems too many nodes lack of speed and thus are unable to to synchronize the chain. We will discuss internally what to do.

Maybe you guys need to look at the size of the transactions and better compression.  My internet speed is slow but i have never had problems with other cryptos before,  i know people here dont want to hear this but my system was able to handle eMunie just fine and the blockchain had over 700k of transactions  in it.

How are people in the thrid world gping to run NEM?

For that 10 mb of transactions am i pulling it from one node or is it spread out amongst multiple nodes?

It takes me 2 mins to download the 30mb nem.tgz off of bob.nem.ninja

@averagejoe:
The data is zipped by jetty (at least in theory i didn't check this) so there is no better compression. 30MB in 2 minutes means 2MBit/sec, that is indeed pretty slow nowadays. I think we will raise the timeout limit to 3 minutes, then users should be able to sync even with 1MBit/sec download speed. The data for one sync attempt which downloads 400 blocks at most is pulled from 1 node. The reason you did not have any problems with other cryptos is probably that there not many transactions. For example Nxt has 1 tx/block on average so 400 blocks is consideraby less than 1MB data. I don't know how emunie handles download of the blockchain (i thought they had a block tree?).

Here in Brazil, My windows 8.1 machine with an internet of @30 MB I downloaded the block chain until the block height 38500 ( + / -) in 45 minutes. Size: Around 200 MB of data. If you do a 7Zip of it, it gets very small.
I think we could have an 7zipped blockchain version on bob.nem.ninja ( maybe a trusted file with a Md5 sum or a sha3).

What do you think? It could be faster than let the client download the whole blockchain.

:slight_smile:

Edit: Imagine you are very late for go somewhere and you forget to transfer your Nem to someone and when you'll do that, the thing get corrupted… Imagine the scene… That will not be so complicated if you have the "blockchain spare part"