NEM Beta 0.4.30

@averagejoe:
The data is zipped by jetty (at least in theory i didn't check this) so there is no better compression. 30MB in 2 minutes means 2MBit/sec, that is indeed pretty slow nowadays. I think we will raise the timeout limit to 3 minutes, then users should be able to sync even with 1MBit/sec download speed. The data for one sync attempt which downloads 400 blocks at most is pulled from 1 node. The reason you did not have any problems with other cryptos is probably that there not many transactions. For example Nxt has 1 tx/block on average so 400 blocks is consideraby less than 1MB data. I don't know how emunie handles download of the blockchain (i thought they had a block tree?).
sorry blocktree, but like i said i was able to handle it fine and it had over 100k blocks and over 700k in transactions.
Downloading 400 blocks from one node is a problem i know you won't think so just like in the past i have pointed out some flaws in the NEM system and i feel they were not to well received. But you are the developer and i'm a nobody so I guess you know best.

Here in Brazil, My windows 8.1 machine with an internet of @30 MB I downloaded the block chain until the block height 38500 ( + / -) in 45 minutes. Size: Around 200 MB of data. If you do a 7Zip of it, it gets very small.
I think we could have an 7zipped blockchain version on bob.nem.ninja ( maybe a trusted file with a Md5 sum or a sha3).

What do you think? It could be faster than let the client download the whole blockchain.

:)

Edit: Imagine you are very late for go somewhere and you forget to transfer your Nem to someone and when you'll do that, the thing get corrupted... Imagine the scene... That will not be so complicated if you have the "blockchain spare part"
This is a good idea and should be considered but it still doesn't fix the root of the problem.

Isn't it possible to download parts of the blockchain simultaneously from multiple nodes?
Since there are a lot of people with slow upstream, the downstream is usually fast.

Isn't it possible to download parts of the blockchain simultaneously from multiple nodes?
Since there are a lot of people with slow upstream, the downstream is usually fast.
This is how it should be done, not 400 blocks from 1 node. Not sure why the developers can't see this.

This is how it should be done, not 400 blocks from 1 node. Not sure why the developers can't see this.

That's weird, what's the purpose of a swarm if you can only down load from 1 source ?
Is this also the case with classic QT wallets ?

That's weird, what's the purpose of a swarm if you can only down load from 1 source ?

AFAIK it's the same everywhere yes.

@avgjoe: Do you really think the devs aren't looking into way on how to make it better ? If it was so easy to code then it would have already been done. Also we're just about to launch so obviously the system is far from being the best that it could ever be. Don't act like nobody is taking feedback into consideration. I even pointed out that the idea of utilizing torrent protocoll already came up. Maybe more people would react positively if you were being more reasonable (and I know what I'm talking about as I'm the most unreasonable dude around and I see how people react).

@avgjoe: Do you really think the devs aren't looking into way on how to make it better ? If it was so easy to code then it would have already been done. Also we're just about to launch so obviously the system is far from being the best that it could ever be. Don't act like nobody is taking feedback into consideration. I even pointed out that the idea of utilizing torrent protocoll already came up. Maybe more people would react positively if you were being more reasonable (and I know what I'm talking about as I'm the most unreasonable dude around and I see how people react).
Pat - Point taken  ;)

Pat - Point taken  ;)

takes one to know one  ;)

That explains a lot, if I want to download a chain from any qt wallet I found that forcing the wallet to only connect to a couple of nodes downloads equally as fast then using the known bootstrap trick.
Using the swarm as such could easily take a couple of days if not more.

continue here : https://forum.ournem.com/beta-launch-discussion/nem-beta-0-4-36/
[font=Verdana][/font]