NEM Beta 0.4.33

Beta 0.4.33 is here!

This is a mandatory release. Nodes running 0.4.30 or less will end up on a fork.

[hr]
    Changes:

[li]UI fixes[/li]
        [li]Fixed bug which led to displaying self-transaction twice in the GUI[/li]
        [li]Fixed bug that showed confirmations as unknown in the transaction details popup[/li]
        [li]In order to help nodes with slow internet connection to be able to synchronize with the blockchain, we increased the timeout window from 1 minute to 3 minutes.
    This should be enough to let nodes with 1 MBit download speed synchronize.[/li]
        [li]Fixes regarding remote harvesting (this is the cause of fork), FORK BLOCK: 44974[/li]

[hr]

NEM requires Java 8
        You can start NCC and NIS with the following link:
        http://bob.nem.ninja/webstart/nem-monitor.jnlp
        Alternatively, you could just shutdown and restart NEM monitor by double-clicking the NEM icon on the desktop.
        Standalone version: http://bob.nem.ninja/
        [hr]

Usual Troubleshooting Guide:

[li]Standalone - shouldn't have issues with this release.[/li]
          [li]Webstart,

[li]kill any running jawa/jawaws processes[/li]
            [li]Go to java control panel, and hit "View…" (can be run with javaws -viewer)

[li]from "applications" remove both NCC and NIS[/li]
              [li]to be sure check resources and clean them all (this will cause redownload of everything, which might take a bit,
          but should help with most of the problems)[/li]
              [/li]
              [li]There is a detailed post on how to remove the NEM software prior to installing the new version in the ournem forum:
          https://forum.ournem.com/index.php?topic=2635.msg8834#msg8834[/li]
              [li]If you end up on a fork, go to c:\users<i><username>\nem\nis and delete data subdirectory[/li]
              [/li]

Enjoy the new version :slight_smile:

Thank you. Great work guys!

just upgraded and now when i try to send a transaction i get "error 306".

webstart updated for me.

its alri… fix… was a problem my end.

Still getting stuck, cant get past 38401. I can download a 700 mb torrent in under 2 hrs but i can't download the NEM blockchain.

My node is down "for maintenance"  :cry:

My linux machine just got the installation corrupted  ??? probably cause AMD's APU official video driver. After a sudo update && upgrade, the system does not show desktop.

I'll need to reinstall my linux distribution.

Im planning to do this this night. (from now, 15 hs cause I have to go to work)

/cry

Downloaded and up and running.
Got it synced yesterday, took a little while before it was synced.
Today it synced within a min.

1st impression, looks better then previous beta.
(mem settings in bat files reduced by 50%).
(Only the usual NIS service not available or 500 error).
Need some further testing to give better information.

Is it possible that socket load is to high and is causing the time out issues?

The cause for high load is much simpler, and we're trying to fix it, so hopefully fix will be available soon.

We're aware of socket issue too. It was first noticed by makoto quite a while ago, we'll deal with that one too eventually (but unless your fd count goes above 400 you have nothing to worry about).

Holy crap I am synced! It took six hours to get past 38401. Hopefully with some more changes that won't be a problem in the future. Keep up the good work  :slight_smile:

Holy crap I am synced! It took six hours to get past 38401. Hopefully with some more changes that won't be a problem in the future. Keep up the good work  :)

From what i hear there's definitely some more improvements planned. However the amount of data isn't going to decrease immensly so everything will become more stable but not all that much faster i guess. Slow internet connection will always be slow :)

Holy crap I am synced! It took six hours to get past 38401. Hopefully with some more changes that won't be a problem in the future. Keep up the good work  :)

From what i hear there's definitely some more improvements planned. However the amount of data isn't going to decrease immensly so everything will become more stable but not all that much faster i guess. Slow internet connection will always be slow :)
I fell like i am banging my head against the wall with this. With my slow internet connection i am able to download a 700 mb torrent file in about 2 hrs, with eMunie i was able to stay in sync and they had over 700K in transactions. With NEM it took me over 6 hrs to get 400 mb. Nobody else sees a problem?

I fell like i am banging my head against the wall with this. With my slow internet connection i am able to download a 700 mb torrent file in about 2 hrs, with eMunie i was able to stay in sync and they had over 700K in transactions. With NEM it took me over 6 hrs to get 400 mb. Nobody else sees a problem?

That's because those are completely different ways of downloading (The thought of downloading the blockchain via torrent protocol actually came up).
In torrent you load different parts of files from multiple different locations. Here you downoad everything from one location.

There's also the question how much of those 6 hours were actualy timeouts and not really transfers.

Once all problems are worked out you'll see how fast/slow it really is.

That's because those are completely different ways of downloading (The thought of downloading the blockchain via torrent protocol actually came up).
In torrent you load different parts of files from multiple different locations. Here you downoad everything from one location.

There's also the question how much of those 6 hours were actualy timeouts and not really transfers.

Even if using torrent protocol and the size have grown to a few GB, it still take a long time, maybe days / weeks for someone with slow connection.. before can start using it?

E.g : if I want to use paypal. From register > assign card / fund account > get to use in around 24 hours. Don't know if there is other faster example.

I asked about this in another thread - https://forum.ournem.com/technical-discussion/data-size/

I updated the Alice servers to return only 100 blocks each time. Maybe you could look up in the logs if that let you pass height 38401.

I updated the Alice servers to return only 100 blocks each time. Maybe you could look up in the logs if that let you pass height 38401.
Looks like it did, Alice2, after 38401 to the blocks in the 4100's it was hit and miss with nodes but once i was into into the 4200's i seemed to have good success with syncing.

@averagejoe: good to know, guess we will release a build tomorrow then.

@averagejoe: good to know, guess we will release a build tomorrow then.

Great !
I have had my node up and running for some 12 hrs, still working.
A bit sluggish but I think you will get that fixed in time, polishing/optimising code.

Node online again  ;D

On windows machine until I can be able to reinstall linux system on my notebook =)

:slight_smile:

Looks like this version can't synchronize after block 48824.

Swithing to 0.4.34 solved the issue.

I am running 0.4.34 on windows and 0.4.33 on Mac and both are synced and seem to be running fine. 

----------

Even if using torrent protocol and the size have grown to a few GB, it still take a long time, maybe days / weeks for someone with slow connection… before can start using it?

E.g : if I want to use paypal. From register > assign card / fund account > get to use in around 24 hours. Don't know if there is other faster example.

I asked about this in another thread - https://forum.ournem.com/technical-discussion/data-size/

I have often thought about this and it worried me.  Some people will want to use NEM and not run a node.  It is plain and simple. 

But they can't use NEM without a node so that seriously holds them back. 

Even serious Nemsters might be on vacation, or at work, or some other place and need to send NEM and shouldn't have to wait for an entire block chain. 

So to me that is why a mobile app is sooooo important.  But the same thing that would be the equivalent via a browser would be really important to me too.  I know this begs the whole "wallet" issue and how a person needs a wallet, but what I was thinking is the answer would be for there to be a program that can take a passphrase and make a seed/private key.  That seed/private key then can be used with a centralized and trusted server that would allow people to just log in via a website and make transactions. 

If I am not mistaken, that is exactly how CounterParty and Ripple are working right now.  A passphrase is locally processed and then a key is sent out.  I'm not actually too much of an expert on these things, but it is just something that I have thought about and has worried me. 

I think downloading the whole blockchain and running a node should really just be for people that are looking to support the network and maybe harvest.  These are people with bigger stakes and bigger PoI.  But smaller little minnows, they just need a quick way to log in, transfer, and log out in just a few seconds. 

Our dev team is pretty on top of it, and I know that a mobile app is high up on their list, so I think it must be possible to have a desktop app too that doesn't need an entire blockchain. 

Haven't heard any talk about it, but I think it is something that needs to be in the roadmap for sure. 

I know that NXT has SecureAE which is a website that allows a person to have a NXT account and send and receive NXT outside of the NXT client, but it is  sooo slow. 

But they can't use NEM without a node so that seriously holds them back.

That isn't true actually :)

You don't have to run the node, as long as you know some node you can trust.

I believe this will sooner or later become kind of a service, where either
a) people will be offering to connect to their nodes
b) people will be offering running nodes for you