NEM Beta 0.4.45

Beta 0.4.45 is here!

This release should solve harvesting issues that were bothering us.

[hr]
Changes:

[li]Changes in the way we hold informations about accounts, this is something really huge, and should stabilize NIS a lot[/li]
    [li]Fixed handling of unconfirmed transactions, a lot of testing and experimenatation went into this[/li]

I've already mentioned this might sound like simple things, but let met tell you this…

DIFF (sic!) with previous release (0.4.39) is over 1M…

Multisig is somewhere in the middle of work, we'll focus on that now, we hope we might have
    build with multisig before Christmas, but we can't promise anything.

It is strongly suggested to switch to new build

[hr]

NEM requires Java 8
    You can start NCC and NIS with the following link:
    http://bob.nem.ninja/webstart/
    Alternatively, you could just shutdown and restart NEM monitor by double-clicking the NEM icon on the desktop.
    Standalone version: http://bob.nem.ninja/
    [hr]

Usual Troubleshooting Guide:

[li]Standalone - shouldn't have issues with this release.[/li]
      [li]Webstart,

[li]kill any running jawa/jawaws processes[/li]
        [li]Go to java control panel, and hit "View…" (can be run with javaws -viewer)

[li]from "applications" remove both NCC and NIS[/li]
          [li]to be sure check resources and clean them all (this will cause redownload of everything, which might take a bit,
          but should help with most of the problems)[/li]
          [/li]
          [li]There is a detailed post on how to remove the NEM software prior to installing the new version in the ournem forum:
          https://forum.ournem.com/index.php?topic=2635.msg8834#msg8834[/li]
          [li]If you end up on a fork, go to c:\users<i><username>\nem\nis and delete data subdirectory[/li]
          [/li]

Enjoy the new version :slight_smile:

very nice job! cant test now but will do it as soon as im home tomorrow. :slight_smile:

what do you mean by "DIFF (sic!) with previous release (0.4.39) is over 1M…"?

Loaded right up , 4.45 took 5 minutes

nis started and you were ready to rock in 5 mins? not bad.. last version took up to 25-30 mins sometimes. these releases are getting better and better every time.

OK, had problems updating:

1. Completely shutdown of running 0.4.39 and restarting Nem Monitor, did not update. Nem monitor loaded the same 0.4.39
2. Deleted everything, except blockchain database and wallet file, deleted temporary applications in Java control panel.
3. Started Webstart, got security error, everything aborted.
4. Went back to Java control panel and added exception of http://bob.nem.ninja in security settings.
5. Started webstart again, seems everything went smooth, NIS is loading, waiting for complete load.

System: Windows 7, 64 bit, latest Java 8.

Suggestion for devs: please add indicator in NCC login page of blocks being scanned during NIS loading. I think a lot of user are confused with "NIS is not available" message on top of page. Seems like  nothing happens with client. Some indicator or bar could show, that scanning of blocks is going in background, nothing to worry, just need to wait until NIS loads completely.

EDIT: new version loaded successfully. Loading took around 5 minutes.

4. Went back to Java control panel and added exception of http://bob.nem.ninja in security settings.

Suggestion for devs: please add indicator in NCC login page of blocks being scanned during NIS loading.

A.d. 4. that's bit strange, there shouldn't be need for exception...

re:block loading indicator, y, we'll add it but not before lunch, there are more important things now, and when we lunch blockchain will be empty, so it won't be that painful

what do you mean by "DIFF (sic!) with previous release (0.4.39) is over 1M..."?

You can generate diff(erence) between two revisions, similar way like you can generate diff between two files.

Amount of changes between 0.4.39 and 0.4.45 is so big, that it's over 1M...

nis started and you were ready to rock in 5 mins?

Actually we want to make it much faster, but that won't happen before launch.

Suggestion for devs: please add indicator in NCC login page of blocks being scanned during NIS loading.

A.d. 4. that's bit strange, there shouldn't be need for exception...

re:block loading indicator, y, we'll add it but not before lunch, there are more important things now, and when we lunch blockchain will be empty, so it won't be that painful

Yes, it was strange for me too. As I remember, updating to 0.4.39 run without problems and no exceptions needed. This time, webstart process could not be completed regarding this error, that new java 8 left only High and very high security settings. But, exception solved this problem.

Suggestion. It's OK, it was only suggestion for future :)

what do you mean by "DIFF (sic!) with previous release (0.4.39) is over 1M…"?

You can generate diff(erence) between two revisions, similar way like you can generate diff between two files.

Amount of changes between 0.4.39 and 0.4.45 is so big, that it's over 1M…

Just to get an idea of how big 1m is, what would the lowest/average diff be?

for example:

diff between 0.4.30 and 0.4.34 was 210k (6 days between those releases)
diff between 0.4.34 and 0.4.36 was 118k (3 days between those releases)
diff between 0.4.36 and 0.4.39 was 435k (14 days between those)

(10 days between 0.4.39 and 0.4.45)

for example:

diff between 0.4.30 and 0.4.34 was 210k (6 days between those releases)
diff between 0.4.34 and 0.4.36 was 118k (3 days between those releases)
diff between 0.4.36 and 0.4.39 was 435k (14 days between those)

(10 days between 0.4.39 and 0.4.45)

That puts it in perspective.. 2/3 of the time but more than double the changes of the last release.. Is that the biggest diff so far?

The animations are still laggy in latest opera :frowning:

The animations are still laggy in latest opera :(

You're kind of a unicorn on opera though. What device are you on ?

The animations are still laggy in latest opera :(

You're kind of a unicorn on opera though. What device are you on ?

Windows 8.1 with an i5, 8 GB RAM and an nvidia 760. If I use IE or firefox everything is smooth as silk...

Hi  Can I install the new client just by going to - http://bob.nem.ninja/webstart/  and selecting 'Launch Nem Client', or do I need to install the package?

When I choose the first option (ninja/webstart) it all seems to work perfectly, and  the Client Info shows as the new version - 0.4.45 Beta, but I am not sure if I need to do anything else?

Advice appreciated  :slight_smile:

If you got as far as checking the client version in the client info option with in the client then that is everything done perfectly :slight_smile: it's auto updating too so when a new version is released all you need to do is "exit and shut down" in the nem monitor and restart it… When it opens again it should have installed the latest version

For the most part everything is working fine  like always, but I just wanted to comment on a couple of errors. I am pretty sure the dev team is already aware of them.

When I click

Hi  Thank you for your reply kodtycoon, it certainly appears everything is working as it should, I just wasn't sure it should be that easy!

jabo38s  I will make sure to look out for harvesting errors, and will restart my pc if they occur.

Thanks  :slight_smile:

Regarding harvesting 500 error, try to close this error notification and wait a little bit. I always have this problem, but after some time harvested blocks list updates. Just wait and stay on harvested blocks frame.