Nem Family, Please Help a Nem Lifer!

I have posted a challenge on Twitter, see if anyone is interested trying to hack my wallet. I will update you on the progress

2 Likes

Hello @oddiccey001 unfortunately nothing changed since you started this thread.
Because itā€™s an interesting case Iā€™ll send you couple questions in PM.

It turns out I have access to 2/4 multisig accounts and the stake holder account itself. I wish they would consider allowing using the original account as a multisig account. In this scenario I have 3/5 accounts. I know thatā€™s not how cryptography works (but itā€™s made by humans so it can be edited by devs) ā€¦ My account is #86 of the highest accounts and itā€™s just sitting there. Iā€™ve been with NEM since before utopianfuture. Over the years you guys have made it very clear that you arenā€™t willing to work with loyal NEM users to figure situations like these out. I used to help out with the main twitter account. I was also a beta tester. I remember back in the day I received 10,000 nem for finding a bug in a nem wallet. Probably the biggest issue with crypto is that people cannot be responsible for their own accounts especially in early development of crypto. I hope one day you guys can help me out. For now we wait!

1 Like

Itā€™s made by humans, yes, but changing the code or modifying a multi-signature account is what you get. You canā€™t do it without signatures. Iā€™m sorry for the loss anyway. Good luck next time!

1 Like

You can say NEM isnā€™t willing to work with you.
We can say they canā€™t because they would just be breaking the NEM blockchain.
You just canā€™t hack your way into a multisig account. Itā€™s not going to happen, ever. Even if you have the original account or 2 of the multisig accounts. NEM multisig is meant to be unhackable.
In crypto your keys are your own responsibility, if you lose your keys you lose your coins. This is true with NEM, this is true with Bitcoin, and with all coins.
You converted your account to multisig, it was your responsibility to keep your multisig keys safe.

2 Likes

It is really hard to see that lost money is really lost. I am sorry for you.

But there is something that makes me wonder, you are saying that you were with NEM even before Utopianfuture.
That is a little bit weird, since utopianfuture was the person who initially brought up the idea of NEM. There was no NEM prior to utopianfuture.

That is one of the reasons why we always need good technical instructions here in the forum.
Mistakes happen to everyone. Nobody is perfect. That is why we should be careful about any opinions.
Everything else has been said 2017.
Sry.

He definitely wasnā€™t before UP :slight_smile:

But he was an early presence for us on Twitter many years ago. I can confirm that.

Iā€™m very sorry for your loss. But as said many times before, you cannot expect the core devs to put the whole ecosystem at risk.

I like the comparison from @SaigonKing where other people had to jump in the water to find the ring. But reality is more like this: You would have to drain the whole sea to find the ring, but then you put the whole ecosystem at risk. This is not going to happen, not for 4.5 million, not for 45 million, not for 450 million XEM. Which is about the amount that was stolen due to the coincheck hack - and there was no hard fork to ā€œfixā€ that either.

And yes, of course there was no time before UP, we should always stick to the facts. Especially in a situation like this.

I hope you didnā€™t lose all your XEM. I hope you find some pople willing to donate for you. I even like the idea of trying to get people to hack into your account, although I know that it wonā€™t succeed. But please donā€™t put it like we are not ā€œwilling to work with loyal NEM users to figure situations like these outā€. This is truly not what is happening here, and Iā€™m sure you know that.

Good luck and all the best for you!

5 Likes

since UP, not before

Yeah, unfortunately at the time I didnā€™t understand well the importance of having private keys to each individual multi-sig account.

Iā€™m sorry if I said before UP somewhere, but that wouldnā€™t make sense not sure why you guys keep bringing it up???

Where did I say before UP? and how is that possible?

As expected to luck in hacking the account. A few of you recommended to possibly set up a donations account. Do you think this would be a reasonable option? Would you be willing to support it Jeff? Thank you!

Could you please comment on if there is anyway I could get the Symbol coins when they are released? If not whatā€™s going to happen to those coins?

You can opt-in only if you have access to your private key (itā€™s required to send transaction).
Unclaimed tokens will be burned after long claim period (5 or 6 years).

Hello all,

I got an offer from @xasser on twitter to attempt to unlock my multisig account for 800,000 XEM or 100k USD. As stated previously I have access to 2/3 accounts that I need in order to unlock the multisig account. I also have access to original .wlt file from before August 31 2016, when I made the account multisig. He is asking for private keys and passwords to the 2 accounts I have access to for multisig transactions and for the original .wlt file. Do you think think its worth the risk? From my understanding of the blockchain, it would be next to impossible to guess/calculate the private keys to one of other accounts required for multisig transaction.

All comments appreciated!

IMO itā€™s not worth the risk sharing private keys with strangers. - or anyone. You can direct message me your NEM address and Iā€™ll take a look.
Not sure I understand your situation, as you previously mentioned 2/4 multisig, 3/5, and now 2/3ā€¦

2 Likes

sent you DM