NEM is not a clone of NXT

The purpose of this thread is to state the obvious reasons why NEM is not a clone of NXT. 

Here are some of my thoughts.  Please other people comment with additional reasons why NEM can be known to be totally original code. 

When I see people spreading this particular FUD, I want to just redirect them here instead of each time fighting with them. 

People calling it a clone need to put the idea to rest.  At one time NEM was going to be a clone, but since then has been rewritten from the ground up with a new vision.  It is understandable that some people might be confused and think it is a clone if they haven

5. NEM has remote harvesting.

Nxt has account leasing which is similar but with one difference: with remote harvesting fees go to the actual harvester, while with account leasing fees go to the main account owner.

Remote harvesting is ment for people with cold wallets, it will not likely be used to create pools. No pools means more decentralization, more nodes.

6. A NEM node is like 10 times easier to make official and broadcast the node's hallmark to the network than the NXT node. 

We can say: all NEM nodes are hallmarked (booted). NEM node trustiness is further evaluated by eigentrust++

More on decentralization: with POI accounts with a small budget have actual chance to harvest a block. Blockchain is not secured only by a limited number of whales.

Thanks Rigel.  Those are very good points to further distinguish NEM's code and NXT's code. 

At one time NEM was going to be a clone, but since then has been rewritten from the ground up with a new vision.

It was never rewritten but was a  whole new design and architecture, written from the ground up..

Other features:

Multisig solution
Fast blockchain download
Tiered Architecture - wallet and P2P node are separate entities. Wallet can sit behind the P2P node which is protected by the firewall -resulting in a one step remote double protection. Wallet need not be online at any time and can be completely offline, making cold wallet set up a breeze for the lay person.

There may be some massive innovations but there is no denying it is basically a clone of NXT. It may be a very HARD fork, but i mean geez just look at the client, it looks just like NXT so people will just look at that and say ok NXT clone.

There may be some massive innovations but there is no denying it is basically a clone of NXT. It may be a very HARD fork, but i mean geez just look at the client, it looks just like NXT so people will just look at that and say ok NXT clone.

As I recall, Loi sat down and designed our client before the Wesleyh client was out. I don't think Loi took any hints on design from the NXT client.

There is nothing taken from NXT at all, so you cannot call it a clone.

do you know anything about programming ?

do i need to? you have a client that looks like NXT, you have basically all functions taken from NXT, you have the proof of stake concept tuned into POI from NXT, you are building an asset exchange like NXT. NEM developers have said repeatedly that NEM is based on NXT.

How many people who think this is an NXT clone know about programming or care about that the code base is different. Conceptually and in many other ways it is an NXT clone, a distant one yeh, as i've recognized, but to most people seems like one.

As I recall, Loi sat down and designed our client before the Wesleyh client was out. I don't think Loi took any hints on design from the NXT client.

OK i guess its just coincidence then that  the sidebar, fonts menu options and general look of the client is so like NXT. But yeh, maybe clone is a bit strong, but this protocol was based on NXT, who can deny it with a straight face?

As I said in the opening post, the client is open source.  Please review the code before saying things you are not really sure about. 

As I said in the opening post, the client is open source.  Please review the code before saying things you are not really sure about.

dude where is line between clone and none clone. I already recognized code bass is different. But If i take a photograph of you and then i photocopy it and print it out, that is a clone. If I take a photo of you and I draw it with a pencil is that also a clone?

dude where is line between clone and none clone. I already recognized code bass is different. But If i take a photograph of you and then i photocopy it and print it out, that is a clone. If I take a photo of you and I draw it with a pencil is that also a clone?

And incidentally NXT and NEM also look like CounterParty.  So did they copy NXT too?  If you would like to see what a clone of the NXT client really looks like, look at NFD or Burst.

And incidentally NXT and NEM also look like CounterParty.  So did they copy NXT too?  If you would like to see what a clone of the NXT client really looks like, look at NFD or Burst.

Counterparty is dissimilar from NXT completely, conceptually and with its links to btc. So now you are denying NXT was the primary inspiration of this project. Bro it says in NEM press releases 'a descendent of NXT'.

NEM was most definitely originally inspired by NXT.  In many ways NXT is the big brother of NEM.  Just like brothers in real life, they can look somewhat the same, and even do some of the same things, but just like brothers in real life are fundamentally different in DNA and personality and capabilities, so is NXT and NEM. 

NEM was written from scratch from the ground up.  It is designed to do many of the same things, sometimes in a similar way, but also designed to many different things in an entirely different way. 

Also, what you are referring to is just the skin.  There are already 3rd party devs working on different clients and skins since the source is open.  Maybe you will find one of those to be radically different.  Just as NXT has 5 or 6 different clients, the same might very soon be true for NEM.  And again, what lies under those skins, is completely different. 

OK i guess its just coincidence then that  the sidebar, fonts menu options and general look of the client is so like NXT. But yeh, maybe clone is a bit strong, but this protocol was based on NXT, who can deny it with a straight face?

NXT Wesleyh client uses standard bootstrap components, as I recall.

NEM was most definitely originally inspired by NXT.  In many ways NXT is the big brother of NEM.  Just like brothers in real life, they can look somewhat the same, and even do some of the same things

Yeh in 'many ways' NXT is big brother i.e conceptual clone, like i said.

but just like brothers in real life are fundamentally different in DNA and personality and capabilities, so is NXT and NEM.

DNA may be different but i dont see much difference in capability or personality. Sure POI is different i guess, but at the end of the day its just a validation method. Maybe if they are so vastly different you could produce a PDF presentation on how NEM is way capable in different areas to NXT. I for one and I a sure many others would love to read it.

NEM was written from scratch from the ground up.  It is designed to do many of the same things, sometimes in a similar way, but also designed to many different things in an entirely different way.

I've recognized several times that the code is different. But the truth is I don't know, because like you said i am not a coder. i am just willing to take your word for it.

Most people from other coins like say NXT probably wont be willing to take your word. And the trouble is most people arent coders, and of those who are, maybe 1% will even bother to look at the code. So if something looks like NXT, sounds like NXT, shares the same functions of NXT and also has marketing materials and forum posts saying 'this is a decedent of NXT!' you really can't blame them when they just think 'oh an NXT fork...ok' and when you say 'oh the code is different' they are bound to think 'oh he just means a lot of it is different but ya know they obvs took some stuff right from NXT'. If you want people to stop thinking that way you might start by stop broadcasting that NEM is a descendant of NXT or show very clearly to a non-coder how and why they are so vastly diff.

I do see your point 'the code is different', i've recognized that. But surely you must also see the point that 'clone' is in the eye of the beholder.

NEM was most definitely originally inspired by NXT.  In many ways NXT is the big brother of NEM.  Just like brothers in real life, they can look somewhat the same, and even do some of the same things

Yeh in 'many ways' NXT is big brother i.e conceptual clone, like i said.

but just like brothers in real life are fundamentally different in DNA and personality and capabilities, so is NXT and NEM.

DNA may be different but i dont see much difference in capability or personality. Sure POI is different i guess, but at the end of the day its just a validation method. Maybe if they are so vastly different you could produce a PDF presentation on how NEM is way capable in different areas to NXT. I for one and I a sure many others would love to read it.

I've recognized several times that the code is different. But the truth is I don't know, because like you said i am not a coder. i am just willing to take your word for it.

Most people from other coins like say NXT probably wont be willing to take your word. And the trouble is most people arent coders, and of those who are, maybe 1% will even bother to look at the code. So if something looks like NXT, sounds like NXT, shares the same functions of NXT and also has marketing materials and forum posts saying 'this is a decedent of NXT!' you really can't blame them when they just think 'oh an NXT fork...ok' and when you say 'oh the code is different' they are bound to think 'oh he just means a lot of it is different but ya know they obvs took some stuff right from NXT'. If you want people to stop thinking that way you might start by stop broadcasting that NEM is a descendant of NXT or show very clearly to a non-coder how and why they are so vastly diff.

I do see your point 'the code is different', i've recognized that. But surely you must also see the point that 'clone' is in the eye of the beholder.

In software development, you made a fork if you copy (fork) the codes from a different repo and start to work from that code bases. A clone is a 100% copy with maybe a few modifications. There is no concept of cloning an idea that I know of.

Please guys, try to understand what robbieboy2 is trying to say. He is not saying "NEM is a clone". He is saying "a lot of people think NEM is an NXT clone." And probably he is right.

It doesn't matter that this is not true. It matters that there are some people who think this. And it is a good idea to write a summery of the differences/improvements in a PDF.

There is one thing I disagree with you though, robbieboy2:

Sure POI is different i guess, but at the end of the day its just a validation method.

POI is not just a validation method, it is a method to prevent the rich from getting richer, which is a problem at NXT.