Nis: harvesting ineligible

Everything is going good so far, right now however when I try to harvest by clicking start local harvest,and I receive the message: “NIS: HARVESTING INELIGIBLE”

I have: 11,243.45 in my account, which I thought met the 10k requirement. I am fully sunced everything is green, am I missing something?

Those 11234.45 xem are probably not vested. When coins get into a new account they vest with 10%/day rate. And even if they were vested i think the chance to be eligible to create a block is just too small. You need more xem :slight_smile:

I’m a little confused about ‘vesting’.

Here is a background of what I have read of XEM (so there is understanding where my mind is coming from). I read the following:

To be able to harvest, the account needs a vested(!) balance of at least 10,000 XEM. - Nem Blog

Since ‘vesting’ wasn’t covered I thought it meant buying. NEM said it was simply. In the FAQ:

Requirement: The user account needs a vested balance of at least 10,000 XEM.

I thought vested balance meant purchasing 10,000 XEM. So I purchased 10,000 XEM. I read elsewhere not sure where that 100,000 is preferable, but that it was possible with 10,000.

I read these here:
-link - How to Harvest, Forum
-link - Proof of Importance

Which explains some about needing vesting: so what I am gathering that it’s somehow tied to how much you have, and that the older you XEM is the more it’s ‘vested’ kinda like older/aged Bitcoin. And that the rate of ‘aging’ (vesting) is day by day.

I read up on proof of importance:

POI is the algorithm used in NEM to time stamp transactions. A NEM user’s importance is determined by how many coins they have and the number of transactions made to and from their wallet. POI is different from other initiatives which use a fee-sharing model that does not take into consideration one’s overall support of the network. In some proof-of-stake systems a person only needs to have large amounts of coins to form a block; however, in NEM the transaction amount as well as support of the network become a factor. This has been designed to encourage users of NEM to not simply hold NEM but instead actively carry out transactions within the NEM ecosystem - Wiki

and here

NEM also advocates low entry barrier by way of Proof of Importance (POI) instead of the traditional ones that require a lot of stakes or computing power to mine. In NEM we call it harvesting. - Nem FAQ

The FAQs and most things I read however only brush over Vesting. From that basic foundation of my understanding my questions are now:

-Is Vesting related to Proof of Importance?
-Does Vesting just mean another word for “Aging” coin?
-How does ones coins Vest? (Do they just sit, or do you have to do multiple transactions?)
-How long does it typically take for 10,000 XEM to become 10,000 Vested Xem? (Is 10,000 Vested Xem impossible to harvest? Why do the faqs mention 10,000 as an entry point if it’s too small to do much?)

-I read that I needed 10,000XEM vested (I thought this meant buy), but now I am hearing even though I bought 11,000 XEM it’s not enough. How much XEM would I need to have Vested Xem so that I may harvest?

Please take a look in our tutorial section here.

"Note: Every 1440 blocks 1/10th of the unvested balance is moved to the vested part."

Hey there Brainofmasses, as a new member I can only send two links, but in my post that link is what I tried to link, it’s listed as Nem Blog. I understand that “Every 1440 blocks 1/10th of the unvested balance is moved to the vested part.”

But I do not understand ‘vesting’, as this is brushed over.

Well, yes vesting is pretty much the aging of xem, 10% of the left balance get vested every 24 hours. This means with everything around this amount, it will take a considerable amount of time to become vested.
100k become vested in 24hours, that is why 100k were recommended.

How long does it take for 10k (or 11k) to get vested? And if it’s vested is it enough to harvest?

If you have a balance of 10k xem the balance can be indifferent states. It could for example
0 xem vested, 10000 xem unvested
1000 xem vested, 9000 xem unvested
5000 xem vested, 5000 xem unvested
Now if you start with 10000 xem on an account (let’s say the xem just were transferred) you start with
0 xem vested, 10000 xem unvested
After 1 day (1440 blocks to be precise) 10% of your balance vest, giving you
1000 xem vested, 9000 xem unvested.
After another day 10% of the unvested xem vest giving you
1900 xem vested, 8100 xem unvested.
This prcedure continues forever. 10000 xem unvested xem never vest into 10000 vested xem, it takes forever. Therefore you need more than those 10k xem. If you have 100k unvested xem then after only one day the balance is
10000 xem vested, 90000 xem unvested
which is enough for harvesting.

2 Likes

Question: Do I have to keep my wallet open for the money to vest? Or will it vest even if I have to uninstall the wallet, or close it?

1 Like

Vesting is independent of you doing anything. As long as it is in an account it will vest.

2 Likes

So in order for me (newly transfered XEM into NCC wallet) to be able to click that Start Local Harvesting is when at least 1/10th of my XEM is in the vested part?

Or it just means I have to get more XEMs? I have 29k currently, still wouldn’t able to do local harvesting.

You need 10000 vested xem. with 29k xem it needs something like 5 days to have those 10k vested xem.

Got it. Thanks :slight_smile:

Thanks, this made a whole lot clear for me :smile:
It would take forever if I would stick to 10K XEM, but thanks to you, I know I have to invest a bit more.