NIS is not available problem

Hey guys,

just installed a new client, installer from nem home page, ncc&nis. I m getting a red warning “NIS is not available” and cannot create a new wallet.Not a very good start. What to do?

Thx

Does anyone read this forum at all?

Can you give us a bit more information?
What OS are you using?
What does the try icon look like, has it gray/orange/green fields?
How do the settings in the browser page look like?

OS is Win 7 Ultimate, 64. The icon s got one green and two green fields. It seems Nis tries to start, then shuts down and only NCC works. Browser page, I use default port 7890, http protocol and host, I ve used one of nodes from the explorer, gets saved and accepted but still no Nis.

So nis shuts down.
If you are using 0.6.77 then the most probable explanation would be a corrupt db. The nis logs are in the folder
c:\users\<your_user>\nem\nis\logs
Can you either supply the log or look at them yourself?

Have already erased DB and restarted client. The same happens.

Here is the log:

http://www.filedropper.com/nis-11

Btw, thx for your help.

2016-06-25 08:49:29.858 SEVERE something really bad happened: java.util.concurrent.CompletionException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: network boot failed (org.nem.nis.NisMain b)

That is a non-standard failure ^^
Did you edit some configuration files?
Anyway i will analyze the failure tomorrow morning.

Nope, havent touched anything. I did erase DB from the other folder and restarted again.

I get lots of issues when my computer crashes / there’s a power outage… Resolved by closing NEM and renaming “~/nem/ncc/accounts_cache_mainnet.json” to “accounts_cache_mainnet.json.old” – relaunch and it’ll rebuild this file, works like a charm… Don’t lose any accounts / settings, and I also don’t lose my blockchain DB, so it’s a really quick fix.

@Cryptoguru: It’s really strange, it looks to me as if your node cannot communicate with other nodes at all.
Can you try to ping the follwing nodes:

also, is there a response in your browser for
85.25.36.97:7890/node/info
199.217.112.135:7890/node/info
108.61.168.86:7890/node/info

?

@Cryptoguru: You can also try the following:
Find out your current ip that your provider assigned you, for example use

https://www.whatismyip.com/

Then open the file config.properties in the folder nis (that is a subfolder in the folder where you installed nem) and edit the following entries:

nem.host = put ip you have here
nis.ipDetectionMode = Disabled

Save the file and then start nis again. Nis should not exit this time. After a while see if it syncs. If not, provide the log again.

Sorry for late answer, was away for a few days.

Pinging those nodes seems fine, packages get sent and received.

In terms of response in my browser to these 3, I get:

{“metaData”:{“features”:1,“application”:null,“networkId”:104,“version”:“0.6.77-BETA”,“platform”:“Oracle Corporation (1.8.0_25) on Linux”},“endpoint”:{“protocol”:“http”,“port”:7890,“host”:“108.61.168.86”},“identity”:{“name”:“Hi, I am Alice6”,“public-key”:“00a30788dc1f042da959309639a884d8f6a87086cda10300d2a7c3a0e0891a4d”}}

So that seems fine too.

About the last suggestion edit config file, I do have a dynamic IP, it changes quite often. Should I try this solution or something else?

Big thx for your time and effort.

Yes please edit the config file as described above, start NIS and then after 5 minutes shutdown NIS and supply the logs. Then i might be able to do a better diagnosis.

I dont seem to have a config file in my nis folder. I only have 2 subfolders there, data and logs.

Ok, it seems to be something related to my AV, Avast. It seems firewall s been blocking NIS. As soon as I temporary shut it down, NIS starts to work.

ok, that is good news :slight_smile:

However, I m still unable to set it as exception for AV firewall. Do I need to try to add .exe file of the wallet to the list of exception or something else?

NIS uses port 7890 so the exception should state that any communication on that port is ok. But i don’t know how this can be achieved with AV. Maybe you can google it.

I ve just spent 2 hours trying to set exception for my firewall, tried all ports, in/out, anything related to NEM .exe. Tried to exclude the entire nem folder from AV but it s not the issue cause firewall s generating a problem not AV. Just does not work unless I shut down Avast firewall completely. I have not set up my AV in any other way then factory conditions. I cannot be the only one having this issue.

Anyone else here who has AV running?