Not Again! Wallet Disappeared! Another 100K NEM Gone?

A year ago I lost about 186K NEM. Now I’m concerned I’ve lost another 100K … very discouraging. Storing other cryptos is a breeze compared to NEM, and I’m beginning to think there’s a lack of real commitment in the dev community to make it truly user friendly.

Here’s the scoop

• I use MAC OS
  • I set up a Nano Wallet ~ 2 months ago
  • was working fine for 2 months
  • but now when I select “Select a wallet in local storage,” nothing happens; no options
  • I can enter my wallet password, but that’s no good without a wallet
  • I see an option to import a wallet, but why would I need to do that
  • I haven’t changed my browser
  • I haven’t updated my OS
  • I have my wallet password
  • I have my private key

It used to be that when I selected “Select a wallet in local storage,” the phrase “Mainnet” would appear in the pulldown menu, and under that was “My NEM Wallet”. Why in the world would it stop working??!

Please help.

And you never did make a backup?

I believe I did everything I was asked / instructed to do in setting it up. If I have the private key, the address, and wallet password, then I should be able to recover my wallet.

I have a .wlt file, but only one, and it was for an older wallet that I never used. I can import it, but there’s nothing there, and it has a different address.

well if you have the private key for the account then everything is fine. You can import via the “Private Key Wallet” option in the Nano sign-in page.

Ok, brother … I’m not seeing this “Private Key Wallet.” Maybe I need more coffee.

click on Sign Up

I found the correct .wlt file that was created in Jan 2017

• went to login page and selected “sign up”
  • then selected “private key wallet”
  • chose wallet name & chose password (which corresponded to old one)
  • confirmed password
  • put in account address
  • put in private key
  • voilà … imported successfully
  • then was directed to login again
  • selected wallet
  • typed in password … and told password doesn’t match!
  • very confident I put in the correct one
  • tried alternative, but it didn’t work either

Now what? Can I purge and try again? Not sure if I understand the “purge” warning. If I purge can I re-enter the info or does it destroy that private key & wallet?

Let me ping QM, the coder of Nano, he has more knowledge of that app :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Hi,

Hmm if the app told you that password is invalid, well it it is…

Try to create another private key wallet with that private key and choose a simpler password to see

If you have the right private key and the wallet file your funds are totally safe so no worries

Will do. Thx.

Case solved! Yeah, never argue with the computer re passwords. Must have fat-fingered it 2x. Grateful for your help. Send me your address and I’ll send you some XEM. Ditto for you, BloodyRookie.

Keep your xem, i am glad the issue was resolved :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you also speaking for Quantum_Mechanics? :grinning:

Same for me, keep them preciously :wink:

1 Like

Very kind of you both, and thanks for the quick responses.

Although it has nothing to do with this case, I will only introduce cases where many people do not have the wlt file in MacOS.

If you are using Safari on MacOS, the backed up wallet file will be named “Unknown”. There is no extension (like .xxx), either. In addition, Windows Safari has not been tested.

In this case, changing the file name from “Unknown” to “Unknown.wlt” solves the problem.

However, since many people give instructions to search for files with a .wlt extension, it makes it harder to find problems.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll keep this in mind.

1 Like

Okay l will look into that, thanks

2 Likes