Proposed usage for unclaimed / socks

A part of the core team sat together today and discussed what to do with the unclaimed stakes and the stakes taken from socks.
Below is a proposal listing what to do with the unclaimed stakes and socks, giving percentages for each proposal. These have not been agreed upon by the entire team and will most likely be subject to change. However, we feel it's important to also get feedback from the community.

Three requests:
Please keep comments constructive !
Don't ask for exact numbers - we don't have them yet !
Don't tell us to launch instead of thinking about this stuff !

~ 10%  node rewards
10% shall be used to reward people that run nodes. 10% would be enough for rewarding 100K NEM per day for 3 years, for people who run nodes.

~ 10%  silver coins
About 10% shall be used to give each stakeholder the possibility to get a physical silver NEM coin from the Perth Mint. The coins would be issued as assets and can either be sold for on the AE or redeemed for an actual NEM silver coin.

~ 45%  community fund with strict governance
The majority of the unclaimed and sock stakes, i.e. 45%, shall be put in a community fund as a decentralized autonomous organization. This fund would be used for projects that the community deems worthy. Anyone could come and request funding, and if the community feels it is a worthy project that will help NEM then the project can get funding. The exact governance for this fund is still to be discussed (dev veto, how many people in charge, who are those people, etc…) https://forum.ournem.com/ideas/nem-community-fund-(aka-nemtopia)/ outlines the basic idea.

~ 2.5% mobile app
NEM will need a mobile app in order to reach average users. We're already in contact with a company and 2.5 % would be enough to develop a first class mobile app for NEM.

~ 32.5 % future redistribution projects
The first question that comes up is probably, "What the hell are redistribution projects?" What is meant by this is that we want to fund projects that will ultimately "give back" to the community and the ecosystem: the creation of sustainable loops (NEM ecosystem creation). Projects that will drive NEM further and therefore raise it's value. This could be actually giving out NEM to stakeholders or creating a NEM village. The exact governance for this fund is also still to be discussed but it will most likely be a mix of core team and community. Transparency and multi-sig use of funds are key. THIS FUND WILL NOT GO INTO THE POCKETS OF OUR DEVS!!!

It is nice to see things like this proposal coming together.  All this needs to be ironed out in detail before launch so I guess this is one step closer!

Yes…this is along the lines of what has been talked about and I think these are decent proposals. I will support said proposals quite happily.

Not exactly sure what ' Nem village ' is but I have some idea. Could someone elaborate ?

Nem Village - community close loop (not exactly, but as much as possible). These will be physical locations where the community is a small township of 100K-200K population. THe objective is to encourage everyone to make use of the NEM block chain to do everything as much as possible, including local government use, etc.

A NEM village is a physical village that is a sustainable loop. That is, everyone there will use NEM in their daily life and sell things online for NEM.

Without a sustainable NEM-using loop, people will just convert to fiat. If Dell accepted NEM, they would convert to fiat immediately and it wouldn't help us. So the creation of sustainable loops is absolutely essential, otherwise we are just wasting time and money.

Looks very good.

Looks promising!
About the mobile app, is that being developed for a specific OS?

Looks promising!

You "have to" develop an app for a specific os. They could do it for many though. Like one for android, one for ios and maybe one for windows phone.

Looks promising!

You "have to" develop an app for a specific os. They could do it for many though. Like one for android, one for ios and maybe one for windows phone.

The goal is "to reach average users.". So there is no question here. We need an iOs, Android and Windows Phone app.

Looks promising!

Afaik for now iOS and Android are planned. I guess it could make sense to expand to windows phone if there is enough demand once the app is feature-complete on the other os'.

We can use hybrid frameworks such as phonegap or ionic to make an mobile app that can be used in both Android and iOS platform. I saw that proposal of hiring a company making a mobile app. While outsourcing could be one-off event, it might not be sustainable because we all know that software needs to be maintained and updated all the time. Is the said company going to do that ? and in what condition ?
I have some experiences of working with ionic and I may work on a basic NEM mobile app if there is a bounty. The bounty is mainly for the future maintainers and collaborators of the app.

Mobile app and mobile APIs are the biggest priority for mass adoption IMHO.  Keep up the good work!

Mobile app and the silver rounds are two idea's i could get behind.

I think having NEM in a silver round that is distributed is going to reinforce the notion that this is a serious project, it's a good image to portray.

Out of the two though, i think i'd definitely prioritize a mobile app.

I think dumping stakes to create silver coins isn't a good idea, IMHO.  I do think it's a good idea for a private person to do it and create NEMsilver or NEMgold, but not with community funds. 

We can use hybrid frameworks such as phonegap or ionic to make an mobile app that can be used in both Android and iOS platform. I saw that proposal of hiring a company making a mobile app. While outsourcing could be one-off event, it might not be sustainable because we all know that software needs to be maintained and updated all the time. Is the said company going to do that ? and in what condition ?
I have some experiences of working with ionic and I may work on a basic NEM mobile app if there is a bounty. The bounty is mainly for the future maintainers and collaborators of the app.

We tried to get people to work on a mobile app since May or so, and several people PMed me, but it never went anywhere, even promising NEM for their work. Using hybrid frameworks such as phonegap was also considered, but there are idiosyncrasies across devices and also some user interfaces cannot be made using software like that. Because was want to make the apps open source and extensible in the future, creating native iOS and Android apps was seen as the best option.

My vote is the Mobile App for android OS and iOS (later) because its imperative for average users to manage NEM funds from a cell phone. My second choice is node rewards because, the network in my opinion is backbone of NEM and hopefully to incentive new users to start harvesting become important nodes. Basically the outcome would be increasingly new users maintaining the network and mobile app that seamlessly/securely manages NEM funds.     

My vote is the Mobile App for android OS and iOS (later) because its imperative for average users to manage NEM funds from a cell phone. My second choice is node rewards because, the network in my opinion is backbone of NEM and hopefully to incentive new users to start harvesting become important nodes. Basically the outcome would be increasingly new users maintaining the network and mobile app that seamlessly/securely manages NEM funds.   

the proposal is to implement all of the options.. not just one.

the proposal is to implement all of the options.. not just one.

Oh I see well so far I am in agreement with the NEM team  ;D

+1

Seems a thoughtful proposal which takes into account multiple priorities.