Proposed usage for unclaimed / socks

On telegram, the NEM community came up with this modified, proposed distribution:

~ 10%  node rewards
~ 10%  silver coins
~ 25%  community fund with strict governance
~ 12.5% mobile app and NEM client
~ 42.5 % future redistribution projects (sustainable loops)

After a discussion on telegram, this is a new proposed distribution:

~ 10% node rewards
~ 10% silver coins
~ 5% unconventional marketing
~ 20% community fund with strict governance

The "unconventional marketing" would be used for things like paying for graphic design work and viral youtube videos.

Sounds good to me :)!

Sounds good to me :)!

And me........a sensible approach !!!!!

sounds great. very glad to see mobile app and NCC getting a much needed increase. nice idea: unconventional marketing.

~ 10% node rewards
~ 10% silver coins

The "unconventional marketing" would be used for things like paying for graphic design work and viral youtube videos.

I hope that the core developers have enough interest in NEM, say maybe 2 years from now to maintain the NEM client. But have you thought about the future of the mobile app?
Is 12.5% enough to create and support the mobile app for at least another 4-5 years? After all it's one story to develop an app for all the major mobile platforms but it's a totally different story to maintain them at the highest levels. Also it has to be constantly updated across all the platforms and the bugs will have to be removed.
Maybe a higher %age should be allotted to the mobile app and marketing(long-term wise) and deduct some %age from the "future redistribution projects".
Maybe it is wise to wait for the exact unclaimed amount of XEM(keeping the above proposals in consideration). An exact figure will decide the outcome of all the proposals.

~ 10% node rewards
~ 10% silver coins

I hope that the core developers have enough interest in NEM, say maybe 2 years from now to maintain the NEM client. But have you thought about the future of the mobile app?
Is 12.5% enough to create and support the mobile app for at least another 4-5 years? After all it's one story to develop an app for all the major mobile platforms but it's a totally different story to maintain them at the highest levels. Also it has to be constantly updated across all the platforms and the bugs will have to be removed.
Maybe a higher %age should be allotted to the mobile app and marketing(long-term wise) and deduct some %age from the "future redistribution projects".
Maybe it is wise to wait for the exact unclaimed amount of XEM(keeping the above proposals in consideration). An exact figure will decide the outcome of all the proposals.

This is a good point.

How about taking 2.5% from the sustainable loops and giving it to mobile app/client dev?

So, something like this:

~ 10% node rewards
~ 10% silver coins
~ 15% mobile app and NEM client
~ 40% future redistribution projects (sustainable loops)

what is the 40% redistribution loops mean?

what is the 40% redistribution loops mean?

sustainable loops, like NEM villages, etc.

This is a good point.

How about taking 2.5% from the sustainable loops and giving it to mobile app/client dev?

So, something like this:

~ 10% node rewards
~ 10% silver coins

Yes, and also please think about long term marketing. We cannot just rely on the tech for adoption outside of the crypto community. Our target should be the layman, who will mostly not care about the core technology. So marketing is extremely necessary if we want to become a world wide movement and break out of the crypto industry. So 10% for marketing really makes sense too. 10% will surely cover the marketing for the coming 2-3 years minimum. This way we do not have to beg for XEM to stakeholders to market NEM.

my opinion would be unpopular but I think all socks should be burned and everyone should donate NEM to the community funds voluntarily. 

my opinion would be unpopular but I think all socks should be burned and everyone should donate NEM to the community funds voluntarily.

If you look at how well that works for other communities (not at all because people are greedy and selfish) you will see that this isn't really an option if you actually wanna get something done.

I agree with pat. Funding is hugely important

I will support your opinion 100% if this is Utopia. Alas, it is not. Most open source die because they believed in that premise. Seen enough of that.

It has been proven time and time again that cryptos have terrible marketing and terrible marketing funds.  We have a chance to do something different here and I say we try it.

I agree, but it is forced.  If we are starting a new movement, wouldn't it be cool if we did it the right way from the start :)

I agree, but it is forced.  If we are starting a new movement, wouldn't it be cool if we did it the right way from the start :)

Tell you what. We have two parallel tracks running. Forced and voluntary. You champion the voluntary. That will be a real cool new movement as we transition.

Yes, and also please think about long term marketing. We cannot just rely on the tech for adoption outside of the crypto community. Our target should be the layman, who will mostly not care about the core technology. So marketing is extremely necessary if we want to become a world wide movement and break out of the crypto industry. So 10% for marketing really makes sense too. 10% will surely cover the marketing for the coming 2-3 years minimum. This way we do not have to beg for XEM to stakeholders to market NEM.

This is a good point. How about this distribution:

~ 10% node rewards
~ 10% silver coins
~ 10% unconventional marketing
~ 15% community fund with strict governance

This raises "unconventional marketing" to 10% of the unclaimed/sock stakes. That is pretty good I think and should give us some serious firepower.

Any thoughts?

So this distribution is good, I guess?

This is a good point. How about this distribution:

~ 10% node rewards
~ 10% silver coins
~ 10% unconventional marketing
~ 15% community fund with strict governance

This raises "unconventional marketing" to 10% of the unclaimed/sock stakes. That is pretty good I think and should give us some serious firepower.

Any thoughts?

i dont like the 10% for the silver because i want crypto for my money, not silver…thats something i said here many times and i think it will be ignored…

but a question regarding the % values:
what if (who knows) nem price increases fast to… hmm, lets say 100m$ marcetcap? do you still stay at the 10% for silver then and buy silver for millions of $? or is the 10% a maximum and you stop after (4000 - unclaimed stakes) silver coins?