Remote harvesting

I just can't understand what "remote harvesting" is.

At first I thought it was something like Nxt's account leasing but when I activate it I'm not asked for the account that will harvest instead of mine. I'm not asked for a remote host name or IP address too.

Also cannot understand the difference between "Activate" and "Start".

At first I thought it was something like Nxt's account leasing but when I activate it I'm not asked for the account that will harvest instead of mine. I'm not asked for a remote host name or IP address too.

Remote harvesting is somewhat like NXTs account leasing.
See the problem with renting a VPS and letting it harvest 24/7 a day is you have to have your priv.-key on that VPS since you have to boot the NEM-Client on that VPS in order to harvest or even be part of the network. If that VPS get's compromised your entire balance is at risk since the hacker would have access to your priv.-key.

This is where remote harvesting comes in and it's also why it's also called secure harvesting.

With remote harvesting you can tell a server that runs the NEM software to harvest on your behalf. The server can be booted with any priv-key, even one that has no balance at all. So you don't have to risk you funds to harvest 24/7 and you also don't need to let your own machine running 24/7.
Which is server is used to harvest is determined by what you have configured in your settings. If you're using a remote server i.e. NEM software running not on your pc localy but anywhere in the internet then that server will be used to harvest. If you're using your local NEM-software then that will be used. I agree that this is currently still somewhat confusing and we probably should only display the opntion to remotely harvest if a server other than localhost is configured in the settings.
Afer you klick "Start remote Harvesting" it will tell you that it's activating remote harvesting. It takes about 24hrs before the remote server actually starts to harvest for you. Once it is activated the status changes(not sure into what right now but it's very understandable).

I've been using it for 2 days now and it's very awesome. Using a remote server in general enhances the experience because there is no initial startup of NIS or sync. The server has been up the whole time so it's ready right away. Of course we need as many people as possible to run a server which is why we can't just set-up a few and let people use them remotely. It would enhance the user experience of the client but weaken the network.

i think the confusing part is that no one mentions that in order to set it up you need to go to "settings" > "connect to remote NIS"(or something) > enter IP of machine that remote nis is running one into "host". activating remote nis on its own on the dash board wont do shit…

are the coins automatically directed from the remote nis to the harvesting account or do the just go direct to the harvesting account?

i would set up loads of vpn's for people and provide each with an IP to set up remote harvesting… even if they dont harvest many blocks it would be good for convenience of having nis pre booted all the time like you just mentioned pat. :slight_smile: would users have to trust me not to steal anything from them? or would it be a case where they wouldnt have to trust me cos there would be nothing to steal?

i think the confusing part is that no one mentions that in order to set it up you need to go to "settings" > "connect to remote NIS"(or something) > enter IP of machine that remote nis is running one into "host". activating remote nis on its own on the dash board wont do shit..

are the coins automatically directed from the remote nis to the harvesting account or do the just go direct to the harvesting account?

i would set up loads of vpn's for people and provide each with an IP to set up remote harvesting.. even if they dont harvest many blocks it would be good for convenience of having nis pre booted all the time like you just mentioned pat. :) would users have to trust me not to steal anything from them? or would it be a case where they wouldnt have to trust me cos there would be nothing to steal?

nothing to steal. ;)

i think the confusing part is that no one mentions that in order to set it up you need to go to "settings" > "connect to remote NIS"(or something) > enter IP of machine that remote nis is running one into "host". activating remote nis on its own on the dash board wont do shit..

i would set up loads of vpn's for people and provide each with an IP to set up remote harvesting.. even if they dont harvest many blocks it would be good for convenience of having nis pre booted all the time like you just mentioned pat. :) would users have to trust me not to steal anything from them? or would it be a case where they wouldnt have to trust me cos there would be nothing to steal?

nothing to steal. ;)

sweet.. il do that for sure then.. do you know the minimum specs/best opperating system etc a vpn needs to run NIS? amount of memory? i know its not rocket science to set up a vpn but i havnt a notion about what minimum specs are needed.. :)

Okay I've just learned something.
So remote harvsting is good for something even if you don't have a remote NIS configured.
The advantage is that you can still boot NIS with an account different from the one that you want to harvest with which means the priv-key of the "rich" account won't be inside memory the whole time.

So it does more than shit.

So remote harvsting is good for something even if you don't have a remote NIS configured.
The advantage is that you can still boot NIS with an account different from the one that you want to harvest with which means the priv-key of the "rich" account won't be inside memory the whole time.

ah that makes sense.. so have two accounts, rich and poor.. boot nis with poor account, switch to rich account, start "remote harvesting" and then close the rich account and use poor account for day to day stuff..

this secure harvesting just keeps getting smarter.. ;D

ps. would you know what the best/minimum vpn specs that would be needed to run NIS on vpn? memory, ram OS ect ect..

ah that makes sense.. so have two accounts, rich and poor.. boot nis with poor account, switch to rich account, start "remote harvesting" and then close the rich account and use poor account for day to day stuff..

ps. would you know what the best/minimum vpn specs that would be needed to run NIS on vpn? memory, ram OS ect ect..

Yes. That is how great NEM is!!

Use an old machine. 512 to 1GB good enough. Windows 7 or Mac Os. Haven't tried vista though. No need high powered one.;)

ANyone tried dynamic DNS and enter the machine name as host in the settings instead of IP address?

BR, can we do that?

Use an old machine. 512 to 1GB good enough. Windows 7 or Mac Os. Haven't tried vista though. No need high powered one.;)

ok thanks.. im guna have a bash at setting up a few free ones over the week end.. i guess there isnt a need to worry too much about security of the server seeing as there is nothing to steal right?

ok thanks.. im guna have a bash at setting up a few free ones over the week end.. i guess there isnt a need to worry too much about security of the server seeing as there is nothing to steal right?

I don't think hackers can steal your server. ;)

But you should use NAT, not open up port triggering to your network. Also TCP will do. No need UDP.

i think the confusing part is that no one mentions that in order to set it up you need to go to "settings" > "connect to remote NIS"(or something) > enter IP of machine that remote nis is running one into "host". activating remote nis on its own on the dash board wont do shit…

i would set up loads of vpn's for people and provide each with an IP to set up remote harvesting… even if they dont harvest many blocks it would be good for convenience of having nis pre booted all the time like you just mentioned pat. :slight_smile: would users have to trust me not to steal anything from them? or would it be a case where they wouldnt have to trust me cos there would be nothing to steal?

ah that makes sense… so have two accounts, rich and poor… boot nis with poor account, switch to rich account, start "remote harvesting" and then close the rich account and use poor account for day to day stuff…

this secure harvesting just keeps getting smarter… ;D

ps. would you know what the best/minimum vpn specs that would be needed to run NIS on vpn? memory, ram OS ect ect…

Use an old machine. 512 to 1GB good enough. Windows 7 or Mac Os. Haven't tried vista though. No need high powered one.:wink:

ok thanks… im guna have a bash at setting up a few free ones over the week end… i guess there isnt a need to worry too much about security of the server seeing as there is nothing to steal right?

I don't think hackers can steal your server. :wink:

But you should use NAT, not open up port triggering to your network. Also TCP will do. No need UDP.

Ok thanks. Il study NAT and ports etc a bit first… Shouldn't be too difficult… There are so many resources online that there is no excuse to not be able to do any of this. :slight_smile:

See the problem with renting a VPS and letting it harvest 24/7 a day is you have to have your priv.-key on that VPS since you have to boot the NEM-Client on that VPS in order to harvest or even be part of the network. If that VPS get's compromised your entire balance is at risk since the hacker would have access to your priv.-key.

This is where remote harvesting comes in and it's also why it's also called secure harvesting.

With remote harvesting you can tell a server that runs the NEM software to harvest on your behalf. The server can be booted with any priv-key, even one that has no balance at all. So you don't have to risk you funds to harvest 24/7 and you also don't need to let your own machine running 24/7.
Which is server is used to harvest is determined by what you have configured in your settings. If you're using a remote server i.e. NEM software running not on your pc localy but anywhere in the internet then that server will be used to harvest. If you're using your local NEM-software then that will be used. I agree that this is currently still somewhat confusing and we probably should only display the opntion to remotely harvest if a server other than localhost is configured in the settings.
Afer you klick "Start remote Harvesting" it will tell you that it's activating remote harvesting. It takes about 24hrs before the remote server actually starts to harvest for you. Once it is activated the status changes(not sure into what right now but it's very understandable).

I've been using it for 2 days now and it's very awesome. Using a remote server in general enhances the experience because there is no initial startup of NIS or sync. The server has been up the whole time so it's ready right away. Of course we need as many people as possible to run a server which is why we can't just set-up a few and let people use them remotely. It would enhance the user experience of the client but weaken the network.

Ok, so I'm expecting no "Activate remote harvesting" button in the account I used to boot local node.

Another few question:
as far as I understand, everyone can harvest using my NIS, he just needs his own NCC.
Who gets the fees, me or the remotely harvesting account?
Do I have any way to limit who is allowed to do remotely harvesting with my NIS?
Do I have any way to know who is remotely harvesting with my NIS?

Ok, so I'm expecting no "Activate remote harvesting" button in the account I used to boot local node.

Another few question:
as far as I understand, everyone can harvest using my NIS, he just needs his own NCC.
Who gets the fees, me or the remotely harvesting account?
Do I have any way to limit who is allowed to do remotely harvesting with my NIS?
Do I have any way to know who is remotely harvesting with my NIS?

Currently only 1 account can harvest on 1 NIS. So if you are harvesting already noone else can harvest with your NIS. They could however use it as remote NIS regardles - just not to harvest.
Not sure what the plan for the future is here though.

/edit: Juist learned you can overwrite that limit when running standalone :).

ANyone tried dynamic DNS and enter the machine name as host in the settings instead of IP address?

BR, can we do that?

If you mean the nem.host entry in NIS config.properties, yes. As long as the host can be resolved to an ip that should work (I have done that for some vps of ours already).

BR, can we do that?

If you mean the nem.host entry in NIS config.properties, yes. As long as the host can be resolved to an ip that should work (I have done that for some vps of ours already).

What about entering that into the settings of the NCC for remote host? Can one use a host name instead of an IP address?

BR, can we do that?

What about entering that into the settings of the NCC for remote host? Can one use a host name instead of an IP address?

of course you can :)

When setting up a vps to remote harvest does it make any difference if I install the webstart version instead of the stand alone… Couldn't figure out how to install the stand alone version… Never worked with tgz files before… Did some googling but was all confusing as hell telling me to use some type of command line inataller or something so I just installed the webstart… I was tired so il give it another shot today… Want to be able to change the config to allow for more than one harvester…

Anyone know is there a limit on how many instances you can launch on Amazon AWS with out being charged? Couldn't find that info

When setting up a vps to remote harvest does it make any difference if I install the webstart version instead of the stand alone.. Couldn't figure out how to install the stand alone version.. Never worked with tgz files before.. Did some googling but was all confusing as hell telling me to use some type of command line inataller or something so I just installed the webstart.. I was tired so il give it another shot today.. Want to be able to change the config to allow for more than one harvester..

Anyone know is there a limit on how many instances you can launch on Amazon AWS with out being charged? Couldn't find that info

Extract that out into a directory. Then run runNis.bat. Then it will just run the nis server. Open up port 7980 and 7981 and NAT it to this IP. That's all.  ;-)

When setting up a vps to remote harvest does it make any difference if I install the webstart version instead of the stand alone.. Couldn't figure out how to install the stand alone version.. Never worked with tgz files before.. Did some googling but was all confusing as hell telling me to use some type of command line inataller or something so I just installed the webstart.. I was tired so il give it another shot today.. Want to be able to change the config to allow for more than one harvester..

Extract that out into a directory. Then run runNis.bat. Then it will just run the nis server. Open up port 7980 and 7981 and NAT it to this IP. That's all.  ;-)

Ok now I feel like a dope that I couldn't do it lol thanks