Symbol Launch - Desktop & Mobile Wallet Release + Ledger Support (08/02/2021)

:warning: NOTE THE WARNING BELOW ABOUT BACKING UP PRIVATE KEYS BEFORE UPGRADE :warning:

All

It is with huge thanks to the entire combined teams that the latest versions of the Symbol Desktop and Mobile wallets have just been released

This release has a significant number of community contributions from non other than our very own admin @mixmaster, the team appreciate the efforts hugely and tell the code of is great quality!

These releases fix the vast majority of P1 and P2s issues, the Desktop wallet also enable support for the Ledger Nano S and Nano X hardware wallets on Testnet, in developer mode

Backup Private Keys Before Upgrade

An issue had existed for some time HD Wallets library for some time has been fixed, it became evident in the Ledger testing work. This issue is related to the ‘Derivation Path’ which is the mechanism to generate/derive a Pubic Address from other information.

This fix now segments the Mainnet and Testnet settings and is more secure, however the change was to alter the path for the Testnet. As a result - any Mnemonic phrase backups from the existing Testnet will not work with the new release and the local storage will be cleared when you open the new wallet

That means you will lose all existing wallet profiles (Desktop and Mobile) when you upgrade and you will not be able to restore them with the mnemonic phrase. the only way to keep access to those accounts will be backup the keys individually and import them into a new profile. So the steps should be:

• Backup each private key individually (manually copy them out of the wallet)
  • Upgrade the wallet
  • Create a new profile and backup up the new mnemonic
  • Manually import the keys into the new profile

To be clear, any paper wallets or mnemonic backups for Testnet, will no longer work once you upgrade, this does not impact Mainnet or Opt-ins.

Ledger

The Desktop wallet now has Ledger’s Nano S and Nano X devices integrated and it is possible to install the Symbol app on your Ledger device for testing - it will require you to enable developer mode on your Ledger until such time as Mainnet is launched

To enable Developer Mode, the steps are below, note that this is for TESTING PURPOSE ONLY, we do not recommend enabling this setting on a device you use for live assets, do so at your own risk:

• Open Ledger Live and go to Settings (gear icon on the right):

• Enable developer mode (last option):

• Now go back to manager and search for Symbol

There is also a How to use your Ledger device with Symbol Wallet guide available

Release Notes

Symbol Desktop Wallet

Github: Release v0.14.0 · nemgrouplimited/symbol-desktop-wallet · GitHub

[0.14.0][v0.14.0] - 08-Feb-2021

Milestone: catapult-server@v0.10.0.6

This version only works with the latest testnet (0.10.0.6), it is not backward compatible.

:warning: This version(0.14.0) resets the previous user profile and locally stored data. The new HD path will generate different keys and addresses from an existing testnet mnemonic phrases. It is highly recommended to backup your test account profiles before using this version, especially the private keys of your seed(HD) accounts. Old testnet private keys can still be restored / re-imported as privateKey accounts in this new version.

Added

• Ledger integration support. The integration code work has been finished, it may not work until the Ledger integration app is available and fully tested.
  • Added address validation for cosignatories in multisig account creation.
  • Added backup warning after private key account imported into the profile.
  • Added core server error message transformer.

Changed

• Changed delegated harvesting process. Support persisting linked private keys locally for remote & local harvesting (node owners) purposes.
  • Improved vuex store, optimized rest API requests.
  • Changed HD seed account generation to use profile network type rather than node network type.
  • Language improvement in English and Japanese.
  • Removed Trezor button.
  • Balance panel UI improvement.
  • Transaction confirmation modal UI improvement.
  • Profile creation page UI improvement.
  • Aggregate transaction page UI improvement.
  • Changed importance score to show in a percentage format

Fixed

• Split HD wallet path between MainNet and TestNet for seed accounts generation [Account Profile & Localstorage Reset].
  • Fixed cosigners cannot receive partial transaction notification issue.
  • Fixed cosigners cannot cosign partial transaction issue.
  • Fixed WebSocket listener not closing properly after switching accounts/nodes issue.
  • Fixed metadata value showing with different encoding issues.
  • Fixed an issue that the application can be used without accepting T&C.
  • Fixed none readable hint texts issue.
  • Fixed delegated harvesting throws Failure_Core_Past_Deadline issue.
  • Fixed the issue that sends transaction button not disabled when the inner transaction is empty in the Aggregate transaction form.
  • Fixed aggrege transaction can be seen from different account issue.
  • Fixed multisig creation form accessibility issue.
  • Fixed fees selector in an aggregate transaction not always display issue.
  • Fixed maxFee selector warning overlaps on other warning component issue.
  • Fixed password is displayed as plain text in updated password form.
  • Fixed duplicated seed account issue.
  • Fixed modal confirmation checkbox and text-overflow issue.
  • Fixed selected signer gets reset issue in Aggregate transaction form.
  • Fixed mosaic fractional part display issue.
  • Other UI / UX fixes.

Symbol Mobile Wallet

Github: Release [0.4.2][v0.4.2] - 08-Feb-2021 · nemgrouplimited/symbol-mobile-wallet · GitHub

[0.4.2][v0.4.2] - 08-Feb-2021

Milestone: catapult-server@v0.10.0.6

This version only works with the latest testnet (0.10.0.6), it is not backward compatible.

:warning: This version(0.14.0) resets the previous user profile and locally stored data. The new HD path will generate different keys and addresses from an existing testnet mnemonic phrases. It is highly recommended to backup your test account profiles before using this version, especially the private keys of your seed(HD) accounts. Old testnet private keys can still be restored / re-imported as privateKey accounts in this new version.

Added

• Dynamic fees support. Now the options for the fee selection are calculated dynamically depending on the network load.
  • Added logout warning to prevent user losing their keys
  • Seed index presented in account details
  • iPad support with full width app.
  • Error notification when transactions are invalid
  • Backup paper wallet for iOS now is more user-friendly
  • Harvesting keys are now saved on device and user can explore / see them
  • Decrypt message on the sender side.

Changed

• Changed delegated harvesting process. Support persisting linked private keys locally for remote & local harvesting (node owners) purposes.
  • Changed HD seed account generation to use profile network type rather than node network type.

Fixed

• Main seed account is not hideable
  • Fixed 0 default value for transactions
  • Editing address book was causing a double entry
  • Preventing long inputs in the address book contact
  • Button for signing multisig was not appearing properly
  • Fixed UI pin code text for japanese
  • Multisig transaction list now is live (added the listener)
  • Fixed required balance message for harvesting screen
  • iOS back arrow on side panel was difficult to click
  • Fixed scaling issues for iOS screens
  • Fixed some missing hardcoded translations
  • Other UI issues

Symbol CLI

Github: Release [0.24.0] - 04-Feb-2021 · nemtech/symbol-cli · GitHub

[0.24.0] - 04-Feb-2021

Changed

• Split coint type index in HD path by network type. MAIN_NET: 4343; TESE_NET:1.
12 Likes

The desktop wallet seem not connected to any node. So I am unable to complete the creation of my profile.

… this does not impact Mainnet or Opt-ins.

So, just wanted to verify: those who have opted in via the official NEM wallet (v2.4.7 or v2.4.8) don’t have to do anything. Do I understand it correctly?

Neither the install version nor the browser version will connect to the node no matter how many times I try.

Thanks @tresto which operating system are you using?

Most of the team here don’t see a problem, but I think I can see the same one as you - intermittently. It seems to be related to load on one of the nodes. The behaviour I can see (is this similar):

• Open the wallet, it says the message below

• I click the settings (top right) and it opens the screen below but there are no nodes listed:

• I go back to the main screen and if I leave it 1-2 mins (I was on a call so maybe 3-5) then the orange bar goes away, I click settings and I have a list of 5 nodes.

I can then create a profile.

The reason I think it may be load based is that this node seems quite slow just now and it is the default node for the wallet: http://api-01.eu-west-1.testnet.symboldev.network:3000/network/fees/transaction

Can you try opening the wallet and leaving it open for a few minutes and let me know if you also get the same behaviour please?

1 Like

Correct

1 Like

After a few tries, the installed version (exe) was able to connect.
The browser version keeps loading at the login screen now (10 minutes).

Updated original post - the mobile translation issues have now been resolved and the build replaced

Thx, we are looking into why it wasn’t happening before (exactly the same release). I think it may be because several people are trying to use it at the same time which we haven’t been able to test until public release.

Looking at it right now and I will update as soon as we have more.

In the mean time, if you have managed to connect and create a profile, it does seem to work ok (I also use the exe)

1 Like

Ok, thanks for update. Just to be sure this is still testnet?

Thank you

Correct

1 Like

The Apple publishing process has now completed and the link below should allow public access to the iOS Public Beta

1 Like

Awesome news!

This behavior occurs when the folder containing the wallet settings has not been deleted (c:\Users\YOUR_ACCOUNT.symbol-desktop-wallet ). Delete this folder and reinstall the wallet

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve noticed that. Thank you.

1 Like

Wow hard at work and resolving those issues.
Great job to all involved.
Doing all of this is no small task !
A lot of passion is driving this ship and I love it !

2 Likes

The Windows install issue has been resolved and you should not now receive warnings from Windows Defender - certificate was received today and the build signed. Build artefacts have been overwritten on Github so just download the new one

4 Likes

Mobile wallet can’t send to alias address?

At this moment no. I reported enhancement: Allow send transaction using account alias · Issue #191 · nemgrouplimited/symbol-mobile-wallet · GitHub