Symbol Launch - Desktop Wallet v0.15.0 Beta Mainnet Version

All,

We have just released a new version of the Symbol Desktop wallet, it contains some very specific changes in preparation for Mainnet.

Release: Release v0.15.0 · nemgrouplimited/symbol-desktop-wallet · GitHub

The comms team will explain the below multiple times over the coming days, the key takeaways:

• Download the new version
  • Import your opt in paper wallet into the Desktop Wallet before launch if you like
  • Backup any items you are prompted to do, keep them along with the opt in backup
  • Check your balances look correct
  • If using a Ledger - don’t add a new account for now via the wallet (below)

This is a Mainnet Validation release - a full mainnet release will be made between snapshot and launch

Testing Your Mainnet Accounts

Some of the community will be aware this has been possible for a couple of releases by creating “Main Net” profile instead of a Testnet one. The previous process worked ok for some and not for other types of import (see HD Wallet issue below), now that a fix has been made to the HD Wallets, it works for all keys and you should use this version to validate your keys if you want to.

This release allows full support for importing your Symbol Mainnet accounts, from the paper wallet backups. It should show balances from NIS1 (but will be 30-60m behind, the data is refreshed every hour approximately).

NOTES:
  • Any optins made after the release of this wallet, will not work on this release, it relies on some static opt in data that is extracted from NIS1 at the time of the build and will be refreshed again over the weekend.
  • A new release will be provided over the weekend with the live mainnet config data included as well

Ledger Users

A new version of the ledger app will be released shortly (version 0.0.9), it contains the same fix as above, in the meant time your will be able to import your opt in accounnt. But you should not add any accounts to the profile, if you do they will use an incorrect path and probably cause you issues later.

There is no problem logging in to check you balances, just don’t add the extra accounts until the new version is published (I will update this announcement).

HD Wallet Issue Explanation

An issue was identified with the HD Wallet library which was causing problems importing the mnemonic reliably. The exact details are a bit involved for an easy forum post, basically it had default set that it shouldn’t have had, the effect of that meant some keys wouldn’t work as expected.

This is a latent problem that was present since soon after it was created, but only surfaced when importing Mainnet accounts, it has now been fixed.

All the opt ins used the version of the library with the issue, this means that the import process will now import a Private Key wallet, instead of a HD wallet. You will find the software will walk you through this process and ask you to backup various elements again. The account will also be highlighted as a legacy opt in account

We recommend that post launch, you import your opt in mnemomic, move the funds out of the legacy account and into the new HD account (Seed account) so you can enjoy the full wallet features. However, if you do not wish to do so, then the private key account will keep working normally, you will just need to back up the key separately to the mnemonic.

Any issues as always - please raise via the helpdesk.

Release Notes:

[0.15.0][0.15.0] - 11-Mar-2021

Milestone: catapult-server@v0.10.0.8

• Preview version for Symbol Mainnet.
  • Support read-only experimental Symbol Mainnet node for Symbol Opt-In accounts & balances preview (Valid Opt-In only).
  • Fixed various issues.

:note: When using Leger to create / import a mainnet profile, please wait for the device to finish loading each selected account. Ledger devices cannot handle too many concurrent requests at a time.

New Opt-In accounts created after this beta release will not be shown on Opt-In mnemonic importing. A new version after the Opt-In snapshot will be release includes all valid opt-in accounts.

8 Likes

Hi Dave,

There is no universal wallet in the latest release and the Mac version doesn’t work for me (just displays a blank screen - I have reported it). Could we get the generic browser-based version added please?

1 Like

Thanks, yep will get one added

2 Likes

Hello.
Do we need to select “Mainnet” when creting a profile now or do we select Testnet because
the main net is not active yet?

2 Likes

I would also like to know that as well. I want to test that my snapshot allocation has come across into the XYM wallet.

1 Like

What about for us that opted in with android wallet? I cant access it because says i need to update but the update is not available.

Please let me know

i have a question please, can you help, i downloaded the symbol mobile wallet made according to the instructions, exported xem from nem wallet, received a message that the opt-in was successful, found my block, i had no idea what to save mnemonic , I thought it was only for recovery if you lose the code or delete the wallet, but now I understand that without memonic I will not have access to xym?

I can’t seem to connect to the verification node at the moment. I am not able to check the XYM balance of my confirmed opt-in account. Several people have reported this.

2 Likes

The “verification” node is actually an experimental node. Opt-in information is manually collected from the NIS1 blockchain and inserted into the experimental node so you cannot rely on it too much, I’m afraid.

How i opt snapshot i am nem holder polonix

The exchange takes care of that.

I noticed that Ledger was updating the Symbol app to 0.0.9 today. :slight_smile:

Please everyone remember to update before using the wallet the first time.

Sorry, this is not about the wallet.

When will the bootstrap for building nodes for the mainnet be released?
Or if it has already been released, please guide me to it.

You can do either

• If you want a testnet account, select that

• If you want to set up a mainnet profile, you can do it and register keys, but wont be able to do anything with it or connect to a node that is much use until after launch. You can see opted in accounts etc though if you import a mainnet profile. I have several mainnet profiles for example that I’ve configured already from opted in and cosigning accounts for multisig

Apologies for the slow replies on various threads, I am playing catch up after the pre-launch work for the last few days

@suky321

I would also like to know that as well. I want to test that my snapshot allocation has come across into the XYM wallet.

@Zvidy

What about for us that opted in with android wallet? I cant access it because says i need to update but the update is not available.

It will be published shortly before or at launch - needs to wait for config for live mainnet before we can publish on the stores.

You can import the keys into a desktop wallet to validate or check your public address here as well:
http://explorer.experimental.symboldev.network/
It may be up or down periodicially over launch weeked as we make changes and it is stallled at block 1 on purpose to prevent confusion or transactions being announced etc

@L_N
i have a question please, can you help, i downloaded the symbol mobile wallet made according to the instructions, exported xem from nem wallet, received a message that the opt-in was successful, found my block, i had no idea what to save mnemonic , I thought it was only for recovery if you lose the code or delete the wallet, but now I understand that without memonic I will not have access to xym?

Please raise a helpdesk ticket and they will help, its too hard to do personal support on a forum thread:
https://support.nemgroup.io/hc/en-us/requests/new

or go to @nemhelpdesk on telegram

@tresto

I can’t seem to connect to the verification node at the moment. I am not able to check the XYM balance of my confirmed opt-in account. Several people have reported this.

This will happen multiple times during the weekend (even after now) the environment is refreshed every 60 mins and takes time to build and reset. We also valid and change things from live network deployment into this environment so it resets quite often. Just leave it 30 mins and it will most likely work.

@jabo38

I noticed that Ledger was updating the Symbol app to 0.0.9 today. :slight_smile:

This is important, people should definitely do this! There will be one further release late in the weekend with the new mainnet mosaic ID and they will make it fully live on Ledger Live as well at the same time, so there will be an update around launch time to download as well - otherwise it won’t know what XYM is and will show you a weird ID instead - it will still work, just looks weird.

@kitsutsukick

When will the bootstrap for building nodes for the mainnet be released?

I’ll make a separate post shortly on this and a few other updates, it will be in the last 24 hours before launch, this is because it needs to final genesis seed information and for security that is generated as close to launch as possible. Bootstrap will be one of the last things to be released, because it relies on several other things being release first so the Docker containers are correct.

3 Likes

I accessed the Symbol app on my Ledger Nano X before reading this and imported my NEM Wallet after. Should I remove the app on my Nano X and the account in my Symbol wallet to wait for the v0.0.9 instead? I have my paper wallet info to import into Symbol wallet.

Nah you should be fine, as long as you just imported the account with the balance and didn’t add any new ones.

I have logged into my ledger on 0.0.8 and 0.0.9 and several version of the desktop wallet and its fine for the opted in account

v0.0.9 is already released, you can update.

The main difference is that 0.0.9 stops you adding accounts when importing the opt in one, if you have added any accounts already (it probably gave you the option to add another 9 or 10), I’d remove them and avoid using them, but the opted in one will be fine