Symbol Launch - Early and Ecosystem Node Bonus Programmes

The Early & Ecosystem Node Bonus Enrolments Are Open

We started the conversation recently on Early block rewards and Payouts this is a follow on post about the bonus programmes and how you can enrol.

Summary

The Community Approved Symbol Tokenomics contained two incentivisation programmes, funded from core funds to reward node owners for securing both Symbol and NIS1 networks by:

• Early Programme: Bring a node online for Symbol and keep running for 12 months

• Ecosystem Programmer: Run a node on both Symbol and NIS1, keep running for 18 months

• Register interest in above pre-launch and start the nodes quickly after launch

Both programmes require that the nodes meet minimum requirements, are enrolled pre-launch, come online quickly after launch and stay online for the period of the programme.

Payments will be made to those nodes that meet the requirements, via a single payment at the end of each programme.

This post is to explain how the process works. The basic steps are:

1. Enrol in the chosen programme before snapshot

2. Start your node by launch + 2880 blocks (24 hours) on Symbol

3. Use bootstrap (or manually install the monitoring agent)

4. Pass all the tests for the length of the chose programme

5. Be paid your bonus

It’s that simple.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

First of all, the boring part, each programme has a legal Terms and Conditions which is deemed to have been accepted when by an account holder(s) when they send an enrolment transaction on NIS1. Copies of these are available:

ENROLMENT PROCESS

Must complete before snapshot: 3,105,500 NIS1 block height (~00:50 UTC 12th March 2021)

The first step of the process is to enrol, this must be completed before launch and can be performed anytime between now and snapshot.

The process is completed via your normal NIS1 wallet; NEM Wallet/Nano Wallet or any other that supports a NIS1 Transfer Transaction with a message. It mimics the opt-in process and goes to the same destination account.

The transaction MUST be sent from the NIS1 account that opted into Symbol and will be used as the main account for your Symbol and NIS1 node (see explanation here of Symbol keys if needed).

Minimum Requirements to Register

Note that in order to create valid enrolment for this process, you will need to have the below;

• An account that has opted in already

• The same account must have a minimum 10,000 XEM balance at snapshot or transactions will be ignored (minimum required to harvest on a node)

Since the Tokenomics proposal was published, we have had legal advice that confirms there is no requirement to apply KYC checks to the node owners. It is necessary to signal enrolment in the programme via the instruction in this post, only one enrolment per account will be accepted and any linked accounts or accounts that appear to be linked may be investigated.

Enrolment Transaction(s)

The transaction structure is below, for the message field it contains information specific to your node, see below for each programme.

Transaction Overview

Destination: NAQ7RCYM4PRUAKA7AMBLN4NPBJEJMRCHHJYAVA72

Value: 0

You need to tailor the following items, do not copy the example with the same data or you will not enrol.

Be careful to ensure the XEM value is 0, if there is a value it will fail validation and be ignored

Item Description
p: The name of the programme you want to enrol in (programme)
d: The public key of the symbol account you opted in as (destination)
sh: The host of the Symbol node you will be running (symbol host)
nh: The host of the NIS1 node you will be running (nis1 host), ecosystem bonus only
ap: The monitoring agent port, default is 7880, this is optional and only required if running on a custom port, otherwise default will be assumed

Note that the host in this context is the one you will configure to appear in the /node/info route of your node on Symbol.

Some notes on the message field:

• It may help to prepare it in a text file

• Once complete, you can copy and paste it into a JSON validator such as https://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com to ensure it is correctly formatted

• Do not add any extra spaces or returns, if the message it too long for the NIS1 field, it won’t enrol

Early Node Enrolment

{"type":10,
"p":"earlyadoption",
"d":"9b86db21244a0be485fbd9ecdf8a5e0bd60b0606932535724298690177af2e82",
"sh":"test.cryptobeliever.test",
"ap":7880}

Here is an example from some early testing, node the model is a little simpler now (above is correct one) but it shows the concept

Ecosystem Node Enrolment

{"type":10,
"p":"ecosystem",
"d":"a0839d7166924e3d9b6bc12ebf446c8f1572458dd051ebac3a4aec2538ad05fa",
"sh":"mysymbolnodeabc",
"nh":"mynishostabc",
"ap":7880}

Here is an example from some early testing, node the model is a little simpler now (above is correct one) but it shows the concept

EARLY NODE PROGRAMME DETAILS

As a reminder, the rules from the Tokenomics proposal were:

• Behaviour similar to a SuperNode - meets minimum node specification and 95% node checks are positive over the period

• Upgrades are applied in a timely manner (< 10 days)

• Bonus will be 25,000 XYM, paid in one instalment at the end of the 12 months from launch to those nodes that qualify

• Not available to Core Developers, NEM entities or Top Tier (3m) SuperNodes

• Minimum 500k tokens locked on the Symbol node for the period, from launch + 2880 blocks (24 hours) for 12 months on Symbol

• No more than 1 nodes per person claiming, with account validation required and intention to participate being signalled before launch (during the Opt In/Out period)

It is important to note that the intent of this programme is to encourage early nodes to be brought online and only the first 75 that come online post launch and are passing tests all through the period will be rewarded. That means for example if 100 enrol, the first 75 will be monitored, if one of those fails, number 76 will become eligible and so on. If less than 75 nodes qualify, the remaining funds will be retained in the Core Trust, a maximum of 25,000 will be paid to each node.

Completion of this process by a node that never then holds 3m XYM or more in the next 12 months, will count as enrolment for the Early Node Bonus Programme

That is to say - to enrol, you must complete this process and be included in the Genesis block, there is no other way to register.

ECOSYSTEM NODE PROGRAMME DETAILS

As a reminder, the rules from the Tokenomics proposal were:

A fixed pool of CAT tokens (3.125m) from core funds to be shared between node owners that indicate Pre Go Live they are taking part and having nodes available from day 1 for 18 months on both NIS1 and Catapult; payment not made until 18 months post launch, requirements to qualify:

• Behaviour similar to a SuperNode - meets minimum node specification and 95% node checks are positive over the period

• Upgrades are applied in a timely manner (< 10 days)

• Bonus will be paid in one instalment at the end of the 18 months from launch to those nodes that qualify

• Not available to any account enrolled in the Early Node Programme

• NIS1 Node: Must run at least 1 NIS1 SuperNode by launch + 2880 blocks (24 hours) of Symbol chain

• Symbol Node: Can be a harvester/normal node or a formal supernode, it must have at least 250k tokens locked on the Symbol node by launch + 2880 blocks (24 hours) of Symbol chain

• It is permissible for nodes to be enrolled in the Supernode programme on either chain at the same time as this programme

• Preferably no more than 5 nodes per person claiming, intention to participate being signalled before launch

It is important to note that the intent of this programme is to encourage nodes to be brought online early and behaviour of a good ecosystem citizen - running nodes on both chains. There is no limit to the number of qualifying sets of nodes, the reward pool will be split evenly between all qualifying nodes at the end of the programme.

To enrol, you must complete this process and be included in the Genesis block, there is no other way to register.

FOLLOWING YOUR NODE POST LAUNCH

We are re-using the Super Node monitoring programme tools, so you will be able to view your node’s performance on block explorer, Testnet version is here; no nodes are enrolled on Testnet currently:

NEXT STEPS

After you have sent the enrolment transaction:

• The node monitoring tool will extract the enrolments just before launch
  • You prepare your node for mainnet (a user guide will be published shortly to help with this)
  • Symbol Bootstrap is the easiest way, in the meantime the Super Node guide is a very close match as well - just don’t run the enrolSupernode option, we will enrol you based on the process above
  • The monitoring agent will run on your node, performing various automated tests
  • The monitoring controller will be run on a NEM Group solution and speak to your agent, recording test results for all the enrolled nodes for the duration of the programme
  • At the end of the programme, you will receive your bonus

JAPANESE

6 Likes

4. Eligibility to participate in the Programme
4.1 To be eligible to participate in the Programme, you must fulfil the requirements of clauses
4.3, 4.4, 4.5, and 4.6 below and be a Symbol Account Holder of a Symbol Account with a
balance of 500,000 (five hundred thousand) XYM or greater that has been properly linked
to your node referred to in clause 4.5. For the avoidance of doubt, you must fulfil these
requirements at all times during the Term (as defined below) of the Programme.

That mean that accounts with less as five hundred thousand XYM can not enjoy this Bonus Programm?

1 Like

Hi Dave,

I have a couple of questions…

Does this mean that you have to run a SuperNode (>3M XEM) on NIS1 but only require 250k XYM running a Symbol node?

Seems like you also need 500k+ tokens for the Early Node Programme:

I was interested in both but only have ~350k XEM opted in. Does that exclude me from both bonus programmes?

Does this mean that you have to run a SuperNode (>3M XEM) on NIS1 but only require 250k XYM running a Symbol node

Correct - Ecosystem programme is there because its unlikely Symbol nodes are hard to secure, but its important they don’t all move to Symbol at launch and leave NIS1 unstable.

I was interested in both but only have ~350k XEM opted in. Does that exclude me from both bonus programmes?

Unfortunately it does - or you could buy more, or combine with someone who has 150k and put them in multi-sig. The reason for the minimums is that in addition to the node, the amount of staked assets on the network also helps with the securing, it needs to be high enough to be impactful unfortunately.

However, on Symbol the majority of the rewards come in the form of Block Rewards - so running a normal node on Symbol will still attract the majority (I’d guess ~75%) of the rewards anyway, it is very democratised. The supernode and these two programmes are just additional incentive for people to stake more and run larger nodes as a backbone to the network, rather than running them all via a centralised entity.

Hope that makes sense

2 Likes

Correct, as per the Tokenomics vote ~1 year ago, it all come from that proposal: 7.1 NEM Ecosystem Tokenomics - Catapult Proposal - Google Docs

The only change is that we had to state the NIS1 node in the Ecosystem programme must actually be a SuperNode, rather than supernode like, because of the current monitoring solution only checking those nodes.

2 Likes

Ah OK - that clarifies it. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @DaveH

Just to be clear for “sh” I will be using “Allnodes” for hosting but I don’t the exact IP until Allnodes allows setup of the Symbol Supernodes on March 15, after the Opt In (but to enrol in the ecosystem program message has to be sent by March 12). So would the following be valid (in the Genesis Block) for the enrol message for “sh” and “nh”:

“sh”:“allnodes.me”,
“nh”:“xem34.allnodes.me”

Thanks,

Hi I am interested to join on this program but do we have detailed guide to run the node i have try to run the testnet node on ubuntu but i didn manage to run it successfully.

The guides are coming soon!

3 Likes

I’ve been chatting to the admin over at AllNodes - they are taking a look at this for you.

Thanks @DaveH , I also sent Allnodes an email Sunday, they said to get back to them Tuesday that they will let me reserve a node name.
So I will update then,

Thank you for reaching out.

All good, looks like we got an answer, they have put up a pre-reg page for you (you need an allnodes account to see it, which I dont have to hand right now on this machine):

https://www.allnodes.com/xym/host

Just to be clear, the “d”:“public_key” is the VRF Public Key generated when we did the Symbol opt-in, correct?

BTW, I did the pre-reg for allnodes hosting and it gives a host name after paying a fee.

I don’t think you use the VRF key here. I went into the Symbol Wallet, created a new profile using the recovery phrase which I got from the opt-in process and then took the “public key” from the account info within the Symbol wallet.
Anyhow, please someone “in the know” chip in here!

The procedure described by @r3n3 is the correct one. It’s already in guides being reviewed.
Make sure you select the correct address when you extract it from the mnemonic phrase, though.
Apologies for the delay, things are a bit hectic on this side…

1 Like

Hey [quote=“DaveH, post:1, topic:28109”]
|d:|The public key of the symbol account you opted in as (destination)
[/quote]

Hey @DaveH , when we send the Enrol Message for Ecosystem the “d:” would be the public VRF address key given during the Symbol Opt-In process?

or do we have to download the Symbol Windows Wallet off github ?

The Symbol Wallet on Github says only to be used for Public Testnet and released Feb 19, but I assume it will be valid? I am importing Mnemonic for the MultiSig Account that has the Funds (not any cosigners), and will get access to the public key (even though its MultiSig, as this was the case in NIS1)?

Would this be the correct procedure for MultiSig Accounts?
Thanks

“nh:The host of the Symbol node”, should be read as “The host of the NIS1 node” right?

“Note that the host in this context is the one you will configure to appear in the /node/info route of your node on Symbol.”
So no friendlyNames, although some examples seem to suggest that, right!
But then the earlier reported issue of the IP address remains because /node/info returns “” when the host parameter is not used to apply auto-detection of the IP.
The documentation Configuring node properties — Symbol Documentation mentions it as follows:
“host string Node host (leave empty to auto-detect IP).”
As an example, this is temporarily applied on testnet node http://138.201.155.195:3000/node/info

With symbol-bootstrap, in most cases, a node owner needs to use a custom config file to start the node with specific parameters, one of them potentially being the Port for the Agent to use.
In the enrolment transaction, that port needs to be used. 7881 in this example:
enrol DAD9414CC95EA0084EB0411AF89D674A892C89816EFC6EE38F479A5B567FFCB0 https://138.201.155.196:7881

How can you enrol a node for us, if you don’t know that port?

Such a small timeframe could be difficult to achieve for most