UPDATED - managed with help to get up & running on Mac

EDIT:  I got things working by following jabo38s's guide using the Java developer's guide, see here:

https://forum.ournem.com/newcomers-help/how-to-get-nem-started-on-a-mac/

therefore all this stuff thankfully historical:

Hi guys - any tips - I've been totally unable to get NEM client synchronised with network on  a Mac, I've only got 0.1 Nemstake to redeem but still - shame to miss out - was planning to HODL with the big boys…

I'm happy to try anything.  Thread here:  https://forum.ournem.com/index.php?topic=2668.0

Thanks in advance for any help

John

Hi guys - any tips - I've been totally unable to get NEM client synchronised with network on  a Mac, I've only got 0.1 Nemstake to redeem but still - shame to miss out - was planning to HODL with the big boys....

I'm happy to try anything.  Thread here:  https://forum.ournem.com/index.php?topic=2668.0

Thanks in advance for any help

John

Forget synchronization.

If you can start NCC you can generate your real address. That's all you need.

Rigel is right.  If you have NCC going, you can use it to generate the account and private key you need. 

Somebody might have a remote node going that you can connect to.  Not me.  That kind of thing is to complicated for me. 

The worst case scenario you could install parallels, then install windows, then install chrome, then install java and then install NEM.  That would really suck. 

Complicated case… If the door 7890 is open, java 8 installed, got the zipped version of clientes 0.4.28 and it still dont run… [emoji33]

Its possible to install an virtual machine with linux or windows (Im not surge what parallel is… Maybe the same thing).
Good luck.

- as long as I write a full set down (account, public & private key) & store them somewhere - then I can get the NEMStake redeemed, NEM sent to this address & then be confident that my NEM are stored at that address on the block chain, to be accessed in the future ??
(when I maybe buy a windows laptop or successfully dual boot to linux or windows or whatever.)

If that's the case then thanks Rigel I'll probably just do that for now.

I suppose it doesn't matter if you generate other addresses afterwards (e.g. accidentally, just for argument's sake) - the address whose details you recorded still exists on the block chain & is accessible as long as you have the key. 

Am I understanding that right?

Yes, that is exactly right.

It is just an address generator. You can generate as much as you want. Just make sure you pick one and safe it. This guide will help you to do it right:
https://forum.ournem.com/index.php?topic=2583.0

Ok - thanks - this is very helpful actually.  This is the only computer available to me at the mo, don't want to implicate a friend or colleague & the machines at work are prehistoric & permissions locked down so can't even get Java going.

So am I right in thinking …

- even though every time I click "create real account details", it gives me a different account number, public and private key

- as long as I write a full set down (account, public & private key) & store them somewhere - then I can get the NEMStake redeemed, NEM sent to this address & then be confident that my NEM are stored at that address on the block chain, to be accessed in the future ??
(when I maybe buy a windows laptop or successfully dual boot to linux or windows or whatever.)

If that's the case then thanks Rigel I'll probably just do that for now.

I suppose it doesn't matter if you generate other addresses afterwards (e.g. accidentally, just for argument's sake) - the address whose details you recorded still exists on the block chain & is accessible as long as you have the key. 

Am I understanding that right?

Just generate an address, record the account no, private & public key & then whatever happens, in the future & on another machine, even if other addresses generated in the meantime, those little NEM will still be accessible from the recorded details?

A couple of confirmations from you guys & that's what I'll do, thank you very much for your time & knowledge…

jk

ps just for my general knowledge… (which as ever is coming on much faster since I have a problem to solve - for example I was partitioning drives and burning iso's last night… baby steps ::))

… how do you "open the 7890 door"  I did try googling that but was swamped in Epson printers…

jk

This can help you… but its a little confusing  :wink:

https://forum.ournem.com/index.php?topic=2611.0

First of all: You'll need to access your modem by WI-FI or cable network (if you are in a normal house) through Ip: 192.168.0.1 ( this is usually the gateway)

On windows the command is:

ipconfig

For linux is:

ip route

The modem will ask you for a login and a password ( you can google it and you, probably find it by the modem's name or model).

Now is the problem:

Each modem shows the doors configurations in differents places. For a Cisco Modem, probably will be Game and apication

Yoou'll see something as:

External Port Internal Port Protocol To IP Address                   Enabled
  7890                    7890              TCP            192.168.0.YOUR_IP      yes

Doing this should solve your problem.

try it out

ok thanks Parana will try it
jk

so hey everyone - if I understand Rigel correctly - I should just generate a real address, public and private key, redeem Nemstake to that address… then that's it, I can relax & it's there for the taking with those details in the future?

Thanks for confirming

jk

so hey everyone - if I understand Rigel correctly - I should just generate a real address, public and private key, redeem Nemstake to that address... then that's it, I can relax & it's there for the taking with those details in the future?
Thanks for confirming
jk

Yes. If you get here at this menu, you'll have more time to make things properly work (dont use the generated example... of course  :P):

[img width=800 height=450]http://s29.postimg.org/9mfd18qx3/Real_ACC_Data.png[/img]

Get it somewhere safe and it'll ask you again to verify if you wrote the right data. Before use the address, I suggest you try it out at the menu "verify the real ACC Data"
[img width=800 height=489]http://s14.postimg.org/gl5url6j5/Generated_ACC.png[/img]

Good luck

And today is friday: The international day of beer wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

;D

Parana you are confusing the people again.
1) You don't have to connect to the modem but to the router to open a port. Sometimes routers have modems included, but that is a special case.
2) You explain that the IP is usually 192.168.0.1 and then you say "the command is ipconfig". That makes absolutely no sense! It sounds as if you can connect to 192.168.0.1 by that command, which is wrong.
3) nembot is on a Mac, I think he said that pretty often… :wink: So why do you even provide any windows commands?
4) Usually people change the password of their router (at least they should) so the hint to just google it is a bit problematic, too.

Well… I know you are just trying to help. But you don't help if you just confuse peple…

@nembot: Whats your router model?

Hi mixmaster - it's a Smart RG SR505N.

I did remotely access the modem and start messing around with port triggering, tried setting ports 7890 open but it wanted application specified - I did a line for NIS, one for NEM and one for NOM.  But as you can see, I don't really know what I'm doing… :-[ & it didn't work…

& ok - Rigel, Parana & mixmaster - thank you VERY MUCH for hoping me.  I'm much more relaxed now, I will make & save an address & redeem my (0.1)Nemstake later.  Might even buy another cheeky 0.1 on the SAE first!

Thanks again, great community, glad to be with you & looking forward to launch!

I did remotely access the modem and start messing around with port triggering, tried setting ports 7890 open but it wanted application specified - I did a line for NIS, one for NEM and one for NOM.  But as you can see, I don't really know what I'm doing... :-[ & it didn't work...

Can you take a picture of how it is now?

Mine is like this ( for a cisco modem):

[img width=800 height=722]http://s29.postimg.org/i4tww6sav/cisco_Modem.png[/img]

I did remotely access the modem and start messing around with port triggering, tried setting ports 7890 open but it wanted application specified - I did a line for NIS, one for NEM and one for NOM.  But as you can see, I don't really know what I'm doing... :-[ & it didn't work...

What is test-ipv6.com saying?

Port triggering is wrong. You need port forwarding. As Parana said, it would be good to see a screenshot of the web interface of the SR505N.

sorry nightmare trying to post attachments

so - previous one was screenshot of my IPV6 connectivity - which I seem to have been blissfully unaware of till now - & on checking, I don't have it.  Do I need that??

Screenshot attached here is of my router where I think I have "opened the port"!!

does that seem right?

seem to have totally screwed up NOM/NIS/NCC though as it's not even opening.  Think I'm gonna go on a scorched-earth mission & erase every trace & try again. 

If I try with the stand-alone version now, which file do I download from bob nem ninja ?  Is it nis-ncc-0.4.30.tgz & that file only?

Will have a go.

Seriously I'm so crap at this despite my best efforts.  I downloaded hive wallet for bitcoin and it's so effortless.  Think we will need something like that for NEM (on PC/Mac/iPad etc) for real widespread acceptance.  For now though I'll keep on plugging away & hopefully have this up & running soon.

Thanks for the help

jk

sorry nightmare trying to post attachments

Use this one... it even dont ask for a login. and usually works  ::)

[code]
http://postimage.org/
[/code]

Make the upload of the photo and click on the second button ( green elipse on it)

[img width=800 height=834]http://s2.postimg.org/xfq47y2op/Post_Img_Org.png[/img]

click on the forum's "insert Image" button". Thats the first one at left with the little Monalisa's picture and paste your uploaded photo code in middle of it.

By clicking preview you'll be able to see the photo while you edit the post.

;)

@ nembot:

If your computer's IP running Nem is 192.168.1.3 ,it should work.

If not, here comes the complicated matter:

If it didnt worked, it'll be necessary to do a IP reservation for your computer through mac address, inside your modems configuration to be able of always have the same internal network address, in a way you can use the 7890 forwarded door.

why this? If you get home and your cell phone connect your wifi, it'll get the first IP address that DHCP can give you.

It could be the 192.168.1.3.

When you turn on your Pc, it'll get the next disponible IP, probably the 192.168.1.4. That means you cant use the 7890 forwarded door, cause its not for your IP (Thats why the IP reservation).

About Nem: You can get the 0.4.30 client (size about 30 MB). unzip it. Inside, there is a file named package and inside there are some files.

first you have to run Nis and after Ncc.

Good luck