"You need to make a transaction to get a public key"

Hi

I want to buy some NEM and for that I need a “public key” to complete the purchase. However in the section of my (new) account, it doesn’t give me a public key it simply states “You need to make a transaction to get a public key”

What is the quickest solution for this?

thanks

What nem wallet are you using? The wallet should exhibit the public key your account.

The basic nano wallet I just set it up now

In the “Account” section it displays my NEM address
Public Key: "You need to make a transaction to get a public key"
Importance score: 0.0* 10(-4)
Vested Balance: 0.000000

hmm…that is indeed a bit annoying since the wallet should know the public key of the account. Let me delegate that problem to QM.

Thanks

Where are you buying those xem? Usually you only need the address to complete the purchase.

Litebit.eu

It needs the NEM address and “Message/key” which I presume is the public key? (am a rookie here so might be wrong with that)

That is most likely not the public key corresponding to that address.
Anyone has experience with litebit.eu?

Saul has explained this to me once… Because your account is created locally, it is not possible for the remote (Node on top right) to know about your Public Key until you create a transaction, and so broadcast your public key. [EDIT: would be cool to read from the wallet file itself in the case where it has not been broadcast yet :)]

This is not a problem, your Public Key is usually not needed except when creating your first transaction. Most exchanges are asking to include a Message (which in turn is a unique key on their platform…), but for litebit.eu I’m really not sure as the message is not generated automatically:

seems they want you to input that message, so I’m not sure you should maybe ping their support to know if they mean to input a unique Message or if they mean to input your account’s public key.

hope you find your way in :wink:

Thanks I will give it a try later and see if that works

Just use a small amount for test to avoid bigger problems in case there are any :wink:

Hi, I want to buy also from litebit.eu but I don’t have anything to add in the field “message/key”. Did you find out a way? In my wallet I have 0 NEM and this is the way to start.

Has someone found out how it did work out? I’m afraid that 445 XEM are lost that I bought and sent to my fresh NEM nano wallet. I have put my correct address in the “receive address” field but the message/key field could be wrong. The transaction got the LiteBit status finished but my account balance remains 0. I have no public key as well since it is a fresh wallet. To be honest the whole thing is not really fool proof. :slight_smile:

Hi, I got the same problem like denis_nem. Also bought from litebit.eu, they are also requiring public key. My wallet says I need to make a transaction to get it first. Sounds like catch 22 from Joseph Heller.

What is your address? Someone will send you some XEM.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Exchange Support. Lost XEM at an exchange? Post here!

Still, after all I’ve found there’s none that clearly explains why do I have “The address you submitted is not valid for the XEM network. Cancel this withdrawal and resubmit it.” message from Bittrex, when I try to transfer XEM to my address (NB5ONY-ZDJDA4-XBGOUI-OWN4RR-SC3V3F-OKNT5Q-DS4S). Public key? How can I make a transaction if I cannot make any?

I have answered to you in Nano Wallet - Account / Address / Public Key explanation needed
Please try.

1 Like

hi sir
I have exchange XEM from crytopia to NBZMQO7ZPBYNBDUR7F75MAKA2S3DHDCIFG775N3D with public key 2f69c71a7cd584e5f92ff787fb1d68aab53985c577eff6e9061c15768899433c and transaction ed22f2da074aebd1096f502e95c54845a71713aadc22fb359eb11eb93c2cf785
1 month And I have not received

That tx isn’t on the chain. Cryptopia must thave never broadcasted it. You’ll have to contact them.

1 Like