Crypto-Dragons on NEM

Suggestions have been made to start a fun little project to attract some people on NEM using the currently hyped idea of CryptoKitties on ethereum…

I am not the one who initiated this idea and will probably not develop most of the features, I am just organizing this into a post so that we get all inputs together.

Here some parts of the discussion on Telegram, including several members of NEM::Projects

4 Likes

There was different people that shown interest on this idea. I hope people interested in NEM Development could cooperate with each other to make this project real :slight_smile:

1 Like

More notes on the subject:

• Dragons accounts will need to receive mosaics which is why there should be a Parent Account that will be the Mosaics Issuer and Distributor account.

• If you derive dragon accounts from the Parent Account, you don’t need to store the private key of the dragon accounts. This would make sure that only 1 account must be kept safe. (the Parent Account)

• This parent account, out of security, can be hold as a x-of-x multisig but implications must be noted. Whenever a new mosaic would need to be issued, all cosignators would need to confirm, etc.
    • As a side note on this, in PacNEM I use NodeJS bots which validate PacNEM transactions and some bots also automatically cosign transactions. So automating the cosigning process is nothing impossible.
  • Dragons can be represented as NEM Accounts [as noted above, mark the implication of storing 1 more private key].

• Dragon Attributes can be represented as NEM Mosaics
      • Some non-transferrable, define base properties of the dragon (Strength 25, Health Points 15, Fire Points 35, etc.)
        • dragons: namespace bought by @aenima, he was fast at it!
      • Some are transferrable, customize dragons or make them stronger (NEM::Red Hat Mosaic 1, Fire+++, etc…)
        • this would need more details because how can you customize a dragon?, would this add weapons to the game or what do you people think is needed?

My opinion is this will need to be multiple apps:

• Backend keeping ownership state, transferring ownership, deriving (creating) dragons, keep track of the parent account. (NEMDragons state machine…)

• Frontend would read state data from a API developped on the backend. Data needed here includes displaying informations about Dragons, their location on the blockchain (include geo-location features to make it hit Real Life?)

It is not a 10 minutes project that someone will finish very easily but it is very similar in features scope as was PacNEM which is why I thought my words can help a little and I also think this can help new developers because it would use a lot of what NEM has to offer. :slight_smile:

I do not have lots of time to dedicate to this project currently but I can tell you that Xarcade would also welcome such ideas! :slight_smile:

Cheers NEM!

PS :

^    ^
               / \  //\
 |\___/|      /   \//  .\
 /O  O  \__  /    //  | \ \
/     /  \/_/    //   |  \  \
@___@'    \/_   //    |   \   \ 
   |       \/_ //     |    \    \ 
   |        \///      |     \     \ 
  _|_ /   )  //       |      \     _\
 '/,_ _ _/  ( ; -.    |    _ _\.-~        .-~~~^-.
 ,-{        _      `-.|.-~-.           .~         `.
  '/\      /                 ~-. _ .-~      .-~^-.  \
     `.   {            }                   /      \  \
   .----~-.\        \-'                 .~         \  `. \^-.
  ///.----..>    c   \             _ -~             `.  ^-`   ^-_
    ///-._ _ _ _ _ _ _}^ - - - - ~                     ~--,   .-~
                                                          /.-'
3 Likes

Nice with all the brainstorming and good ideas :slight_smile:

We need (if this is to be successful and compete with cryptokittis )

1. someone to take lead
  2. 1-2 main programmers
  3. 1 skilled in graphics (they need to be cuuutteee to make common appeal and promote NEM)

At least I think the game needs to fairly simple; collect, breed, trade – maybe including maintenance like feeding/daily reward to make sure people is coming back each day. Focus should be on community (that’s what make most collection games work) – a website where you can view each other’s collection, trade and make discussions.

A few other considerations:

• Breeding, should be centralized and could consist of mixing two owned dragons with the chance of creating new types of dragons.
• Selling potions to enhance dragons (for instance changing color) could be a great idea.
• Monetization is an important aspect; the dragons need to have value attached to catch on. (selling potions, cost to breed, selling new dragons etc.)

I myself, don’t have time to take any leading rolls – but I really like the concept and would be glad to tip in when time is smiling at me. Hope someone have the time…

PS: I did only buy the namespace for the testenet :slight_smile: just a quick n dirty POC

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that be something for the Hackathon?

4 Likes

This is a really neat idea !

People will mind that breeding is centralized though. That’s what’s so neat about crypto kitties, nobody controls any part of the breeding process.
I do like the idea of attributes being represented by mosaics though. Especially the thing with some being transferable and represent potions to customize dragons is very cool.

Here’s an idea on how to maybe decentralize breeding.
What if the breeding process took into account the hashes of blocks ?

For initial creation of “generation 0 dragons”:
Attributes are just represented by numbers right ? So let’s split the hash into say 5 parts, convert those parts into integers and then use those for the next mosaics issued for the new dragon. That way it’ll still run on one cental server but anyone could host such a server and everyone can verify that the process is deterministic and without monkey business. Now two server may not have the same block as last block but I don’t think that’s an issue. It’s supposed to be random anyways.

You do that for the last like 100 blocks and you got 100 gen 0 dragons that you can then breed which is a different matter.

Just a quick thought…

1 Like

interesting concept using hash to generate the kids. but doesnt it mean the parent have nothing inherited to their child? it just random number. when dragon x, fire element mating with dragon y, fire element, we must control the child must be fire element.

hmmm maybe make some breeding rule, than use hash to generate success percentage. if success give good stat, vice versa

ops sorry i dont see the title: generation 0 dragons :sweat_smile:

great idea! :slight_smile:

I like the idea, but if it’s too complicated I’ll happy to at least have something like this
http://cryptocats.thetwentysix.io/
Just create the image with the sha256 and create an ownership.
The thing here they are using metamask, so the website change if you have the chrome extension. In nem there is no chrome extension yet…

A post was merged into an existing topic: NEM will surpass Bitcoin eventually, and here’s why and when! Part 2

Why Dragons? … Why not NEM Ninjas?

But in any case would be nice to demonstrate a dap on Nem that doesn’t crash the network like Kitties did on Eth.
:dragon::dragon_face:

cuz Dragons are cool :wink:

1 Like

Wrong, dragons are hot :fire:

1 Like

1 Like

I’m a javascript developer with a little bit of graphics skill and an interest in generative design. No blockchain experience yet though. I’d be down to help work on this however I can, as I would really like to learn more about blockchain development and supporting more interest in XEM. I had been thinking about tradeable card game mechanics or something based on cryptokitties but with robots… Dragons sound cooler though.

1 Like

Random game thoughts that may not be possible: What if the dragons could age somehow? Maybe breeding gives a small chance to increase age level (baby, adult, old, etc).

Maybe it is like the potion thing to level them up or something.

Is there any way you could make 2 dragons fight and have an outcome that affected them? Risk your dragon or an ante or something. I also like the idea of a name lineage of some kind… strong bloodlines and whatnot.

RE: Graphics, I agree that cute is probably the best way to mass appeal… but I also like the idea of having cute baby dragons that eventually become really big bad ass dragons (kind of like Pokemon evolutions). How many graphics slots should there be? Body, Wings, Head, Eyes, Mouth, Nose, Ears, Tail, Claws, Accessories?

2 Likes

Could you contact “Bam O.” on telegram/NEMred - if you are interested and have time the next 1-2 month(s)

1 Like

I’d also like to throw my hat in the ring. I’m an indie game dev, with a few years xp in the field. I specialize in graphics and I’d like to help in the development if it’s still on.
Also I can provide credentials if needed.

1 Like

An idea that might spice things up a little:
Maybe the dragons could be of different breeds, like fire dragons, ice dragons, magic dragons, diamond dragons, and so on. Some breeds, like fire and ice could be offered as standard, and some breeds could only be discovered through breeding.

For instance, by breeding a fire dragon and an ice dragon, maybe a water dragon could be born (more valuable than fire or ice).
That would open the door for some interesting and rare breeds that the user would have to discover on it’s own. Maybe some rare golden furry dragon that can only be obtained through 5-10 generations? And that would be on top of the physical attributes that come from breeding.

1 Like

Regarding graphics, cuteness sells best. Seeing as NEM is most popular in asian countries, similar elements to Pokemon and Digimon could be succesful. If we add a little DoTA and LoL in the mix to add a little western appeal, we could be on to something.

Also, adding to my post above regarding the elements (fire, ice, gold and so on), those could be represented like a trading card outline, with the element in the corner. I’ll try to make a schetch tomorrow if I have the time.

1 Like