NEM Supernode Command Line Tutorial for Debian 8.4

Since I replied to KingCole’s questions in private:
1.) If you can reach your nis via YOUR-IP-ADDRESS:7890/node/extended-info in the browser and it returns a response with information about your account then everything is set up correctly.

2.) Installing everything as the root user is useful in case you have to update your node. You’ll find everything in the root user’s home directory.

I don’t recomment using root. Create a user to restrict the rights the user has.

In Debian how would you run the service as a user other than root? I can’t find an article that covers this topic in a detail that I can understand.

Actually i don’t run NIS as a service. Maybe i should read the entire thread before i answer ^^

Hey, Paul can you help me???

kannst du mir vielleicht eine Private Email Nachricht schreiben…

pk@finanzexperten-team.de

Das wäre super nett…

Vielen Dank schon mal…

Check your mail

please some kind member may put up a short manual how to securely update supernodes to 0.6.79. thanks a lot.

Did a reinstall on my Hetzner Node. Takes some time (about half an hour or 1 hour), but otherwise I don’t know exactly what to overwrite over the 0.6.77 installation. Node seems to work so far and I’ll update my mainnode “himmelsfaller” later.

Ok updated 103.192.177.252 (HostUs Node)

and sent an enroll msg for 138.201.159.103 himmelsfaller3 with delegated public key 04f4df91df5b18376f11196dbe46a34b9073927352cf0ea7e618deac484049d5
Its a Hetzner 1 GB Node and I hope it will work now with 0.6.79

I would be also grateful for a short update manual because i have indeed no idea of linux.

edit:problem solved.

Check my latest update to the post on how to update your supernode to the latest version.

1 Like

Thanks @Paul for the update instructions. I worked it out myself using a slightly different method that just replaced the jar files after stopping the servant service

systemctl stop supernode.service
wget http://bob.nem.ninja/nis-ncc-0.6.79.tgz
tar -xvzf nis-ncc-0.6.79.tgz
cp ./package/nis/nem-deploy-0.6.79-BETA.jar /home/nis/nis-ncc/package/nis/nem-deploy-0.6.79-BETA.jar
cp ./package/nis/nem-deploy-0.6.79-BETA.jar /home/nis/nis-ncc/package/nis/nem-infrastructure-server-0.6.79-BETA.jar
cp ./package/nis/nem-deploy-0.6.79-BETA.jar /home/nis/nis-ncc/package/nis/nem-core-0.6.79-BETA.jar
cp ./package/nis/nem-deploy-0.6.79-BETA.jar /home/nis/nis-ncc/package/nis/nem-peer-0.6.79-BETA.jar
rm /home/nis/nis-ncc/package/nis/nem-deploy-0.6.77-BETA.jar
rm /home/nis/nis-ncc/package/nis/nem-infrastructure-server-0.6.77-BETA.jar
rm /home/nis/nis-ncc/package/nis/nem-core-0.6.77-BETA.jar
rm /home/nis/nis-ncc/package/nis/nem-peer-0.6.77-BETA.jar
systemctl start supernode.service

I also took the opportunity to update all packages:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Hope this might help others

KC

2 Likes

Can I ask where you posted this “update to the post on how to update your supernode to the latest version”? I can’t find it :worried:
Want to make sure I don’t make any mistake. Thanks

@KingCole Thanks for sharing your way of updating.
Allow a question… (Am a Java Noob)
You describe to exchange the .JARs with the new ones and then re-start the supernode.service. Are there no links (in config files etc.) to the files pointing to the 0.6.77 filenames? No need to update them?
Thanks in advance.
Peace, R3n3

It’s just appended to the original tutorial.

Labeled Update Guide

@willowfoot Thanks for your friendly reply. I spent another 5min on searching and scrolling… Could you please message the link to the post? I think it may help others, too. Who could be searching around like me.
Thanks!!

It’s #4, last step on the tutorial written by Paul.

It’s called “Update Guide”

OK! Thank you.
Found it in this (NEM Supernode Command Line Tutorial for Debian 8.4) thread in the 7/JUN/2016 post. All clear.

Part 4 on the tutorial worked great. Thanks Paul.

Here is a good tutorial for setting up a node on Amazon.

Extra tips for things not specifically mentioned are the following:

• Choose a Debian Jessie copy for you OS from the community AMIs.
  • In Step 6, remember to open your ports 7778, 7880, 7890.

And this is a good video on how to use Puttygen and Putty to log into the EC2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dsq4MeVh8M