NEM Supernode Rewards Program

@garp: not sure if we should lower the bandwidth requirements again. If we do, then the next one comes and says that he got a 2Mbps connection and wants to pass and so on. The supernodes should ideally be vpses.

:disappointed:

Youā€™re not sure. I understand.

As far as I understood, this initiative is an effort to increase the number of nodes and help to secure the network.
Iā€™ve set up a node, followed the extensive list of steps to enroll. This to contribute to the network with the means at my disposal, probably like many others. Off course the possible reward is also a motivation :wink: But if the bandwidth requirement would have been clear from the beginning, I would probably not have done the effort.
Anyway, I have the impression my node was and still is performing and contributing to the network pretty well. It passes the seven other criteria easily!

So if a node is not a vps, is it worthless to secure the network? Even when it qualifies for 7/8 criteria?
We might as well close the ports, make the node unreachable so it is not exposed so we can avoid the risk of having our systems attacked or compromised. Not good for the network, but better for us and safer for our systems. And if harvesting alone does not justify to keep a NIS running, we might as well turn the machine off completely.

Could you give an indication about how many of the 56 registered nodes you believe are vpsā€™s?

Who decides about these criteria anyway?
Whatā€™s the advise or opinion of other members?

Well, Iā€™m very sorry, but Iā€™m really having second thoughts hereā€¦

which node was yours?

Strange that you are are only getting 3.2 upload with a 19 download. Normally its a third which should give you 6*

sent a PM

Hi,

Since we have this ISP subscription, we always had the impression we have a (relatively) fast connection.

Itā€™s only because of this failed node bandwidth test I have started to look into it and investigated. I wanted to evaluate if I should complain to my provider. If you look at the specs of the ISP I provided earlier, they claim Download/upload speeds of max 30/4 Mbps. So that is a relation of 7,5 between the two. The average of download and upload gives a maximum of 17 Mbps. They claim the actual speed depends on the distance to the nearest network station and on the actual cabling of our own network infrastructure. Both seem Ok to me. So, Iā€™m not contacting them to complain, yet.

On my speedtest I have 19/3 Mbps, which is an average of 11 Mbps (rounded).

So my remark comes down to the bandwidth test measuring only the Upload speed and does not take the Download speed into account.

garp

It is called ā€œSupernode Rewards Programā€ not ā€œAverage Joeā€™s node Rewards Programā€ and it is supposed to pay for running ā€œhigh performance nodesā€, because ā€œhigh performance nodesā€ usually cost money and with new light wallet and mobile wallets many users will not run their node, but will connect to these ā€œhigh performance nodesā€.
Test is testing nodes upload, because upload is only thing that matters in case of suppernode (every one is downloading from super node, so super node is only uploading)

Average home connections have high download and low upload, because average people just download from internet.

5Mbps upload is really low, decet VPS has 100Mbps upload. And it does not really matter if the node is VPS if it has upload. My home connection has 89Mbps upload (tested on speedtest.net), but such connection also costs premium usually.

The question is:
With supernode rewards program, why would average joe run a node?
Do we want average joe to run node?

1 Like

@garp: my connection at home is a 25Mbps download and 5Mbps upload VDSL. I am not even trying to joing the super nodes programm with that connection cause it is too close to failing anyway. Canā€™t you just rent a 2GB vps for $5-10 a month? At least with the current price for xem the node rewards program should cover the costs.

1 Like

Also, goal of this program is not to secure network but to [quote=ā€œSaul, post:1, topic:1735ā€]
form a backbone of support for light wallets, mobile wallets, and 3rd party apps so that users of these services might have access to the network that is easy, fast, and reliable without having to sync a blockchain by themselves or use untrustworthy centralized services.
[/quote]

1 Like

Because thatā€™s whatā€™s important to the netowkr.
If new nodes wanna sync the blockchain from your node itā€™s gonna be slow because your uploads speed is insufficient.
None in the network cares wether or not YOU can download stuff fast. They donā€™t benefit from that at all.

1 Like

If the networ gains adoption tx load will increase and therefore rewards though harvesting will increase. Those you can gather with anynode, supernode worthy or not.
However the truly average joe is going to run a client like the app or lightwallet only Iā€™m guessing and thatā€™s not a bad thing. If they were required to run a node nobody would ever use XEM for anything.

1 Like

Is it possible to run the test without having 3 mil. NEM? The normal node and its hardware i am currently running, should pass the test easily, i guess. The only thing iā€™m sceptical about is my 30/6 conn.

You can just follow the registration process and setup the servant. Then all tests will be ran. Youā€™re gonna fail the balance test but youā€™re gonna see if you pass the others which i think is what you wanted.

Thatā€™s exactly what i am looking for, thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi Everyone,

I have some good news about the Supernode servant. We have our first update. The biggest news now is that the bandwidth has been lowered to 5Mbps.

I have some instructions.

1. Turn off your servant. Rename your servant folder you used to boot the servant until now to ā€œOld Servantā€ or something like that.

2. Go into the servant folder and find a file called config.properties. Copy this and paste it unto your desktop. Next rename this file config-user.properties. (you will need this new config-user.properties file shortly)

3. Please download the new servant from https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_0Z9jDGHPxPVmdCVDFTT25CXzg&usp=sharing

4. Unzip the folder. Open the servant folder and paste in the file you named config-user.properties.

5. Your NIS should be still running. If not, start it. And also you need to restart your servant. To start the servant double click on runservant.bat in the servant folder (In Mac or Linux navigate to the file in terminal and use the command sh startservant.sh). If it works you will see your terminal/command prompt window become active.

6. Lets now double check to see if your servant is working correctly. Please go to http:// <your supernode ip>:7880/nr/metaData, e.g. http://211.107.113.107:7880/nr/metaData, in your browser. If everything is working okay, you can see something like
    {

ā€œapplicationā€: ā€œServantā€,
    ā€œpublicKeyā€: ā€œcd94cdcfde6878e093bc70e35b575dbe68095c69f73112e67559f71c1fb64c6eā€,
    ā€œversionā€: ā€œ0.0.4-alphaā€

}

1. If all went well you can now delete your old servant folder.

If you have any questions you can review the instructions at the top of this thread, or please just ask.

Thanks!

Should be: http:// <your supernode ip>:7880/nr/metaData
e.g.: http://211.107.113.107:7880/nr/metaData

Working here

0.0.4-alpha is working here.

(My error 404 was solved by rebooting. I stopped the old servant, but apparently it was still running.)

0.0.4 ready to serve here

Ok, iā€™ll see what I can do to increase upload speed thenā€¦