Symbol Launch - Early and Ecosystem Node Bonus Programmes

The guides are coming soon!

3 Likes

I’ve been chatting to the admin over at AllNodes - they are taking a look at this for you.

Thanks @DaveH , I also sent Allnodes an email Sunday, they said to get back to them Tuesday that they will let me reserve a node name.
So I will update then,

Thank you for reaching out.

All good, looks like we got an answer, they have put up a pre-reg page for you (you need an allnodes account to see it, which I dont have to hand right now on this machine):

https://www.allnodes.com/xym/host

Just to be clear, the “d”:“public_key” is the VRF Public Key generated when we did the Symbol opt-in, correct?

BTW, I did the pre-reg for allnodes hosting and it gives a host name after paying a fee.

I don’t think you use the VRF key here. I went into the Symbol Wallet, created a new profile using the recovery phrase which I got from the opt-in process and then took the “public key” from the account info within the Symbol wallet.
Anyhow, please someone “in the know” chip in here!

The procedure described by @r3n3 is the correct one. It’s already in guides being reviewed.
Make sure you select the correct address when you extract it from the mnemonic phrase, though.
Apologies for the delay, things are a bit hectic on this side…

1 Like

Hey [quote=“DaveH, post:1, topic:28109”]
|d:|The public key of the symbol account you opted in as (destination)
[/quote]

Hey @DaveH , when we send the Enrol Message for Ecosystem the “d:” would be the public VRF address key given during the Symbol Opt-In process?

or do we have to download the Symbol Windows Wallet off github ?

The Symbol Wallet on Github says only to be used for Public Testnet and released Feb 19, but I assume it will be valid? I am importing Mnemonic for the MultiSig Account that has the Funds (not any cosigners), and will get access to the public key (even though its MultiSig, as this was the case in NIS1)?

Would this be the correct procedure for MultiSig Accounts?
Thanks

“nh:The host of the Symbol node”, should be read as “The host of the NIS1 node” right?

“Note that the host in this context is the one you will configure to appear in the /node/info route of your node on Symbol.”
So no friendlyNames, although some examples seem to suggest that, right!
But then the earlier reported issue of the IP address remains because /node/info returns “” when the host parameter is not used to apply auto-detection of the IP.
The documentation Configuring node properties — Symbol Documentation mentions it as follows:
“host string Node host (leave empty to auto-detect IP).”
As an example, this is temporarily applied on testnet node http://138.201.155.195:3000/node/info

With symbol-bootstrap, in most cases, a node owner needs to use a custom config file to start the node with specific parameters, one of them potentially being the Port for the Agent to use.
In the enrolment transaction, that port needs to be used. 7881 in this example:
enrol DAD9414CC95EA0084EB0411AF89D674A892C89816EFC6EE38F479A5B567FFCB0 https://138.201.155.196:7881

How can you enrol a node for us, if you don’t know that port?

Such a small timeframe could be difficult to achieve for most

Thanks, correct that is typo from formatting the markdown, corrected.

@Xavi can you pick up the rest of this question please?

No, as explained a bit above, the "d:" field must contain the the public main key of the new Symbol account you received when you opted-in using the NIS1 Nano Wallet. The enrollment process has changed a bit and VRF keys do not need to be opted-in anymore (Nothing wrong if you already did).

You need the NIS1 Nano Wallet to opt-in. That will give you a Paper Wallet, containing a mnemonic phrase and an address. Then you need to use the Symbol Desktop Wallet (currently from github) to convert that mnemonic phrase into a public key you can put into the enrollment message’s "d:" field.

There’s a new wallet release coming in with some fixes, so I suggest you wait for it.

The hosts in "sh:" and "nh:" can either be hostnames (www.my-symbol-host.com) or IP addresses, but not friendly names, correct.
The “Configuring node properties” page talks about the Server properties file, where an empty string "" means autodetect. The previous issue (if I recall correctly) was with Symbol Bootstrap’s custom preset file, which can contain a host: line. This is obviously related to the server property but they are consumed by different programs, so they have slight divergences. One of them, is that Symbol Bootstrap does not interpret the empty string as “autodetect”.

So, this is about the Supernode Enrollment transaction, not the Early Adoption or Ecosystem programs discussed before. The Supernode message contains a URL (not a host, or IP, but a full URL, which can include a port number), as you very well say.
If you are asking about how to report the port in the Early Adoption and Ecosystem enrollment messages… that’s a good question. Let me try to find answers.

As I said earlier, the complete guide will go public soon, and I think it answers all these questions. I’ll make sure to post a link here and I hope you will keep reporting any issues you find!

@Xavi Thank you very much for the appreciated clarifications.

After having read all that, I’m thinking of the following situation:

• One has a NIS1 SuperNode running
  • One is willing to run a Symbol SuperNode after launch
  • One is considering to enrol both for the Ecosystem reward program

Then, taking the mentioned Next Steps into consideration, I understand the following needs to be done:

• Send the Enrolment Transaction for the Ecosystem Node Enrolment from the NIS1 Nanowallet account of the NIS1 SuperNode. We do not need to use symbol-bootstrap to send an enrolment transaction for the Ecosystem Node Enrolment (NEM Group will do it for us, based on the NIS1 transaction). Correct?
  • After launch, set up a Symbol Supernode, following the respective guides for symbol-bootstrap and Symbol SuperNode. To achieve this we do have to send the enrolment transaction for the Symbol supernode program with symbol-bootstrap ourselves, even if the Symbol SuperNode is already announced in the NIS1 Ecosystem Node Enrolment transaction (NEM group will not do that for us based on the NIS1 transaction). Correct?

Please confirm.

I have edited the original post to include a custom agent port for the monitoring agent (generally only required if you run a NIS1 node on the same server due to a port conflict).

If it is not provided, then the default port of 7880 will be assumed.

If you have submitted and enrolment already and wish to add one, just send a second message, the most recent one will be the one that is used.

1 Like

Correct!

Correct again! Even though the same node is participating in both programs they’re managed independently, hence the two enrollments.

In the NEM wallet (Universal client 2.5.) under Symbol Opt In there is under Review my Symbol account opt in information a Symbol Address written, isn’t that sufficient for the “d:” field?

I’m afraid not, because that’s your Symbol address, and the "d:" field requires your Symbol public key. They’re related but they’re not the same thing, so you need to go through the Symbol Desktop Wallet.

Maybe this guide can clarify: Cryptography — Symbol Documentation

Thank you for clarification, I appreciate your help! I would like to set up a symbol node with Allnodes, but it is quite difficult to estimate the ROI and the risk not to be rewarded, as I did not completely understand the part where only the first 75 participants would get the 25k SYM and the cost is minimum 40$ per month plus setup, therefore I would appreciate an estimation, if somebody could tell.