Symbol Launch - Work Ongoing 16/03/2021

Symbol Launch - Work Ongoing 16/03/2021

Posted: 16/03/2021 02:20


  • Launch is delayed past the 15th UTC
  • Launch work is ongoing and is now overrunning
  • There has been an anomaly identified in one step
  • It is being investigated and will take a few hours
  • Next update before 16.00 UTC 16/03/2021


In the updated provided approx 7 hours ago I laid out what had been completed and was left to do in order to launch Symbol. Symbol Launch Weekend - General Update (15/03/2021)

In the last 4-6 hours we have hit an issue which means this work is going to continue into tomorrow.

The first step on the last update was to deploy a fresh fake or pre-mainnet and run automated validation on it.

When the network started we observed behaviour from some nodes that the combined development and test teams want to investigate prior to continuing. The network did start, finality started and was operational, however there were a few things that are probably best described as stutters.

At this time appears probable to be environmental/deployment/network security related but that won’t be known until it is further assessed and a reproduction/resolution path is identified.

The cross timezone teams will continue through the night and then into the morning tomorrow to resolve this and we will provide a further update before 16.00 UTC 16/03/2021 - whether there is further information or not.

The remaining steps in the launch sequence remain the same - identify and resolve this hiccup, reset the fake network and follow the same process outlined previously.

It is not the news anyone wants to hear, not least those people who have been working long hours for several days/weeks and it is a difficult choice. However it is the right path forward to ensure the network launches stably, securely and reliably.

This decision was taken and backed unanimously between the Core Developers, Test team and NGL Exec


We believe that with the launch everything will work out and there will be a solution. Good luck!


I would like to see it released as a new test net.

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the status report.
I think it’s really hard work. Take care of yourselves.


Why announce a big launch date and not even launch? smfh GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER XYM

1 Like

What kind of excuse for not launching is that? It had already been tested and it was ready for launch. How come this issue would show up now at launch?


When will the opt-in xem coin enter the xem wallet?



As some of you will have seen this morning on Twitter, the issue was tracked down overnight and root cause identified:

This is clearly great news and the problem is not related to code or bugs.


  • A network config issue occurred with deployment of the pre-mainnet, it caused unexpected node behaviour and a network split

  • This has been identified and fixed and the network auto recovered

  • We now reset to the beginning of the sequence in the original post on this thread and there are a small number of steps from here to launch, but they take several hours to work through slowly and methodically

  • If we have smooth process from here on, we expect very good news later today and will confirm as soon as we have the information concretely known

More Detail:

I have caught up with some of the team now and the summary version is:

  • Because the environment we were performing validation in was to be very Mainnet like, security configurations were in place to avoid causing confusion around if launch was occurring etc when it was a validation environment that would be reset.

  • A problem arose from that config which meant the network had a stuttering start and some nodes exhibited unexpected behaviour so we had to understand why in order to be confident with the launch sequence for Mainnet and that we didn’t have an issue.

  • The fantastic news from a stability perspective is that when the config was rectified, the chain came back together on its own as designed, which means it auto recovered as you would expect under normal running when forks occur

In terms of next steps, this happened on the first point of my original post, the sequence from here is therefore exactly the same, but is starting earlier in the day (UTC).

We are in the process of resetting the pre-mainnet (fake mainnet) so the final automation run can happen.

If the remaining steps run smoothly, we anticipate very good news later today, but there are still several hours work ahead of the team befor that can be confirmed


Thanks for your hard work!! take care

1 Like

newer play on launch day :wink:

tomorrow it will be running flawless
and i save lot stress following what happens today



We hope everything will be ok for next days, we understand the hard team work but in the same time we are investing in this project and most of the holders lost the money and we would like to have a nice welcome from NEM, Symbol team as well.
I suggest a NEW offering for who stayed since SNAPSHOT to get 3x Symbol for holding for a MONTH. And the new buyers will get 2x Symbol if they buy on the first 10 days and hold for a month.


Its great to see all these new faces around :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you to the team for their quick resolution.
I look forward to experiencing the chain.

1 Like

I am sure that everything will turn out as planned, and the new network will soon be available and stable! Good luck and we look forward to positive news from you!


Hello, give is an information about symbol launch, please!


We were all waiting for the 4 pm UTC announcement about the Symbol Launch and up until now nothing from NGL!!!

1 Like