Unable to locate Private Key on Mobile Wallet—Apple IOS IPad

THERE’S NO PRIVATE KEY SHOWN. I’M UNABLE TO VIEW PRIVATE KEY IN NEM MOBILE WALLET FOR APPLE IPAD IOS.

I would like to send 10 XEM as a test send this morning to Bittrex via Changelly, but before I do that I wish to backup my private key.
I went to the “More” section of my Mobile wallet and clicked export account.
Shown was my public key page and the eye symbol for the private key on bottom section.
I clicked “View Private Key” and a warning page pop-up appeared. Below the pop-up screen, the wallet page was still visible with “cancel” or “show private key” peaking out from the bottom of pop-zip.
When I click “Show Private Key,” I’m returned to the previous page showing “View/Hide Private Key” page. (There’s a QR code there above it.)
No matter how many times I attempt this THERE’S NO PRIVATE KEY SHOWN. I’M UNABLE TO VIEW PRIVATE KEY, so I’m unable to backup my private key prior to making my 10 XEM test attempt. Again, I’M ON APPLE IPAD IOS and using the mobile wallet download.

Frustrated. Again.

So, what crucial idea am I missing this time?

Arrgh!

M

*pop-up not pop-zip

Additionally,

I’m unable to find the XEM “message” that must attach any transaction. IM LOSING MY F*#%#+NG MIND. A.G.A.I.N.

SOMEONE PLEASE ASSIST.

MASWA

What exactly are you able to see on the ‘Export Account’ screen? Are you able to see the public key just above the ‘View Private Key’ button? If you tap on the ‘View Private Key’ button and confirm the warning pop-up, does the text of the button change to ‘Hide Private Key’? The private key should get displayed directly under the ‘Hide Private Key’ button. Also, on which iPad model do you experience this problem?

By the way, the QR code you see above is a backup of the private key, encrypted with the password you choose when opening the ‘Export Account’ screen. Do you have another mobile device where you could import the QR code backup to see if you’re able to view the private key on that device?

Thomas,
Thanks for reaching out. I’m on a 2014 IPAD AIR; it’s in mint condition.

1. I can see the public screen.
  2. I’ve confirmed the pop-up warning by tapping it expecting the private key to appear, but nothing happens. I’m unable to see the private key whether I click the eye symbol to “display” or “hide” private key. I’ve attempted this action many times and have been patient waiting for the private key. All that happens is that the eye symbol changes from display private key to hide private key.
  3. I’ve assumed that the QR code has the private key embedded, but my fear level is DEFCON 5 with regards to this interface, so I haven’t explored that.
    (I need to download a QR reader and go through all that, which may seem to you a simple thing but I want to make sure I have the optimal QR reader.)
  4. Yes, I have an IPhone to download a wallet, but again, my FEAR levels are forcing me to tackle one issue at a time. The same can be said for attempting multisig and harvesting options.
  5. I’ll be attempting a test transfer of 10 XEM once I conclude this message. Based on your answer will determine if I transfer and exchange my NEM for another coin.

Thank you,

M

1 Like

Correction: I can see the public key

I do not know about the case where the secret key can not be displayed. I will explain only the part to understand.

The character string of the secret key may be withdrawn immediately if it is displayed to others.
That string is not secured at all.

And the QR code including the secret key is protected with certain security.
When the QR code is passed to another person, it is necessary to analyze the password.
This QR code does not include private key as it is.
The character string encoded with your password is QR code.

Therefore, the strength of QR code including secret key is influenced by password strength set by you.
However, in general, I will not show that QR code.

I am sorry for Poor English using translation software.

Thanks

Well, it’s been 16 hours waiting for the Changelly site to exchange 100 XEM. ALL inputs were done perfectly, Message included. NO EXCHANGE.

Thomas, are you NEM support or just a forum member?

…just “waiting for payment” :roll_eyes::rage:

I have just tried to reproduce the problem you’re facing on an iPad Air and now understand what’s happening.
The problem is that the app gets scaled up to fit the screen, which cuts off the private key label. Since the ‘Export Account’ screen isn’t designed to be scrollable you have no way to make it visible.

The iOS wallet doesn’t officially support the iPad, but on newer devices with a higher screen resolution it works nevertheless. The only solution for you would be to switch to another device, preferably an iPhone for now. You can simply download the iOS wallet on another device and import your account by scanning the QR code directly from the app (Add Account -> Scan QR Code). There is no need for you to search for another QR code scanner, that functionality is built into the app and since the app is open source you’d even be able to check the source code.

In future the app will get optimized to fit all screens and devices, but not in the short-term.

Also keep in mind that you have to always keep a backup of your account in a safe place, whether that is a QR code backup or the private key itself. Otherwise you’d lose access to your account and therefore your funds if you lose your device or something else happens.

1 Like

I can not reproduce because I do not have an iPad.
A secret key is displayed outside the display range of the screen.
So you can not see the secret key.
Is that OK with understanding?
I learned a lot.

thanks

Yes that is correct. And because scrolling isn’t available on the ‘Export Account’ screen you’re not able to just scroll down further to make the private key visible. As far as i know it only works on an 12.9" iPad Pro at the moment.

But as i said this is definitely something that will get improved in a future version.

1 Like

I support NEM with my hobby, but this information will be very useful in the future.
thank you very much.

Yep, tried all that.

1. Really wish there was some kind of HEADS UP WARNING ABOUT IPad not be fully supported.
  2. The NEM wallet QR scanner will NOT access my iPhone 6Plus, so I’ve got no way to migrate account. Not happy. AGAIN.
  3. But that’s lesser in aggravation to the fact that I’ve attempted to exchange NEM on Changelly with ZERO success after three attempts. All inputs have been triple checked. I suspect that it’s a node issue. AGAIN.
    SO, I changed nodes.
    NOPE. NO LUCK.
    Isn’t there a way that you can indicate whether a node is functional at the time of transfer or not?
    Is that so difficult?
    My frustration levels are SKY HIGH

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Node function for basic transactions

Can the iPhone see the private key?
Currently, the most important thing to refrain from private key is not done.
Create a new wallet on iPhone.
First of all, I think that it is top priority to transfer all funds from iPad to iPhone.

thnks

Thanks for reporting

I would like to be fully reimbursed for the lost transition fees assessed by NEM. This is a NEM wallet IOS issue. It’s not on my end. The fault is not mine.
Your faulty IOS mobile interface for IPad is the issue, both for the inability to access private key and fingerprint ID password access, which disallows inputs in IOS mobile NEM wallet.

Pleas reply.

Saul,

By the way, I’ve sensed I’m much older than you from the beginning of our wallet journey based on your somewhat brittle/blaming interaction, which can also be partially attributed to your programming skill set rather than honed communication skills.

The workaround that I used to solve this problem is standard practice in other information sectors. You know, the MILITARY. IF a cut and paste input doesn’t work, the next operation is to write down EVERY interface action and backtrack. Then attempt all inputs MANUALLY to rule out. The cut and paste of wallet/address/message/amount data is but one action. The smoking XEM input gun was your message about zero XEM being sent. I took screenshots and made notes of all transactions. I know what I input. I was VERY methodical in this regard. Crosschecking from that information was the key.

Along with the reimbursed XEM, you may want to consider an apology to me. I was logically eliminating the many variables from the beginning, e.g., Nodes, “Zero” wallet subsection, Fingerprint ID.

I wasn’t dismissing them.

If you ever get the chance to meet me personally, I assure you Saul, you would never use the tone you have employed with me, especially the unwarranted “LIKE I SAID.”

You have much to learn about communication.

I can recommend some books.

NEM should work on its interface and user manual. Compiling a section list of all issues arranged by keyword at this point is more critical than courting would-be banks and platforms in Singapore, especially if you’re bootstrapping the NEM project like you’ve shared. With millions potentially coming aboard, your balky interface could ultimately undermine NEM’s credibility, especially if someone decides to make a YouTube series skewering NEM and its many problems,

Lastly, at no point was it ever divulged to me that the NEM project was in BETA form. The same for the IOS wallet.

In fact, the NEM public image telegraphs the idea that NEM is ready for primetime–a seamless interface. The attempt at a slick, albeit understated NEM YouTube video featuring the young woman playing cello is but one example.

As we know, NEM is not ready. I strongly recommend that you hire competent tech content writers for the writing of your user manual. Using the valuable user-friendly interface lessons hard won by computer companies like Apple Is worth taking a look at too.

Ease of use and high user adoption is critical.

Nonetheless, thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

MASWA

PS. If you require all the transactions so as to be able to reimburse my lost XEM in NEM Message fees, I’ll gladly supply.

You have been very rude on multiple occasions, and here you do it again. Yet somehow you are surprised I am being short with you?

You sent the same transaction, with the same inputs, literally a dozen times. I understand the interface for iOS is bad, but you can easily check the progress of a transaction in the block explorer http://chain.nem.ninja/#/blocks/0

I will personally reimburse you your XEM lost in fees. 36 XEM is what it looks like to me, 12 transactions you sent to Changelly, with 0XEM and a 3XEM fee, I am not sure why I would apologize. I had nothing to do with creating the mobile app.

If I told you something in person, and you ignored it, then I would probably include “LIKE I SAID” the second time. Why do you think I am not blunt in person? Besides, isn’t that in response to our conversation a week ago. What is the relevance?

Yes, this is where I said “LIKE I SAID” last week, so I guess I have to say it again. Like I said again and again, I have been working on the docs, it was unreleased last time we spoke, but now I can link to it.
https://docs.nem.io/en
This section is going to be built up more, and in the future it should help to solve most issues you see on the forum https://docs.nem.io/en/gen-info/faq/faq-get-help