Where did my Nem go

Still waiting for Changelly to respond, the timestamp deadline for my transaction is overdue by 3 days and it hasnt been returned to my wallet.

So does the Timestamp deadline feature really work? If it did i wouldve had my NEM back and wouldnt need to contact Changelly support.

The NEM network sees this transaction as valid, the XEM will never be returned to your wallet until Changelly initiates the transaction.

I am not sure how Changellyā€™s deadline feature works, but I donā€™t think its automated.

But thats the thing, the transaction wasnā€™t valid otherwise it wouldā€™ve gone through 4 days ago.
Long story short, it was my fault. I pasted the ā€œwallet addressā€ in the ā€œmessageā€ field as well, mistakenly.

Personally, from my POV i think if a transaction is stuck in limbo after the deadline, even 2 - 3 days it should be returned to the sender wallet address. Because its essentially a bounced cheque.

Decentralized currency that relies on a central party, kinda defeats the purpose imho.

1 Like

Iā€™ve given up trying to fight this. Changelly is not the problem. Itā€™s the
damn Nem wallet. Poorly designed UI without any way to check what youā€™ve
done before committing.

Iā€™m using Shapeshifter exclusively now, for the smaller alt-coins. They
have a nice feature of having you put in a refund address, which would be
the wallet that youā€™re sending from. In the event of a failure, for any
reason, your coins are refunded immediately. I checked it by intently
placing an error prone transaction. It was back in my account within
minutes. No fuss, no crappy tech support to deal with. All done
programmatically.

They donā€™t have Nem, but thatā€™s fine with me. I donā€™t want to buy coins
without good wallet support. There are too many great coins out there. Iā€™ve
more than made up the $4,000 that I lost using their wallet, with active
trading of other coins.

Good luck everyone.

1 Like

I agree, it would be much nicer to have a decentralized exchange option. This is the only one I have seen so far:
https://bitsquare.io/

Iā€™m sorry you are having issues with the android wallet. The wallet is being worked on, there should be a fix soon.

I suggest using the nanowallet desktop client for storing any XEM long term. I think you will also find it easier to use.

Hello guys,

Iā€™m in the same boat. Iā€™ve organised to transfer from a XEM wallet to XRP last Friday (19th May '17) with Changelly.Com. XEM has been taken away from my XEM account, but Changellyā€™s system says it hasnā€™t been received. The first time, I went wrong because I typed a message I made up. I didnā€™t see that there is one that Changelly advised me to use. It was my first time to deal with the XEM and I did not know about this messaging business. Then I did a test run, it worked. Then I tried the third time. That failed. My wife was talking to me so I got a little distracted, and for some reason, I remember having ticked a box that encrypted the message. Thatā€™s I think where the problem is.

I sent Changelly information I got from the wallet/client. Hash ID, Block height, date and time of transaction, accounts sent to and from, etcā€¦

Iā€™m still waiting to resolve transactions that have gone wrong with Changelly. I got the same message that you all got: theyā€™re busy and theyā€™ll get back within 24 hours. Itā€™s been since Saturday, the 20th May. Granted, it was the weekend. But now, Tuesday, I am wondering how long their queue is. Iā€™m getting edgy because the transactions were about thousands and with how quickly the markets are shifting, you want to be able to move funds around.

Personally, I think it is silly that this message field can make or break a transaction especially when you work with many other currencies who only work with one bit of important information (the address). Letā€™s say if Changelly closes its doors now, where are we supposed to go? We basically lose our money?

Iā€™ve read a lot about how XEM is a good currency but if it is this finicky, incidences like these would scare people from using it at all.

Iā€™ll update you guys if I get to a solution or if I hear from Changelly. Likewise, please update this page so that we are better informed to solve this issue.

1 Like

I agree with you edoray about having the coins go back to your account when it does not properly get to its intended destination. Although it makes you wonder why Shapeshift does not add NEM in their cryptos they work with. Perhaps, it is because they also want to avoid having to deal with this requirement of having to work with messages.

I agree. There must be an automatic process of coins going back to your account immediately if something goes wrong with a transaction without having to rely on Changelly.

Iā€™ve said it before; I like Changelly and they werenā€™t the problem for me
losing thousands of USD. But I much prefer Shapeshifter because of their
refund address, which Iā€™ve tested out and it just works. I still use both,
because some currencies arenā€™t on one that are available on the other. But
after this mess with Nem, Iā€™d rather be safe than sorry.

I agree Don. But the transaction is not stuck in Limbo. Itā€™s already
disseminated throughout the blockchain.

Hi Luis, I made also the same mistake like you and a lot of others. Itā€™s better to reach changelly on Twitter through Private message. They respond there faster. But donā€™t be worry you will get yours coins back

So changelly replied back, asked for my wallet address so they could refund meā€¦ that was about 2 days ago.

all that info was in the inital ticket, but whateverā€¦ no rush i guess -_-

I have waited for about a week since last update. They also did just get back to me on Thursday to let me know they have sent one of my issues to the tech team to complete the transaction. They did not get back to me about the other similar trade. So I emailed them again to make sure they did not overlook it.

Maybe they are under-staffed. They were not expecting this surge of activity or is it always like this? Iā€™ve only been using these services a month. But Iā€™m getting edgy now. Itā€™s been 10 days since I logged my ticket. Itā€™s getting ridiculous.

1 Like

All crypto services are currently swamped. It always happens when there are bubbles all over the place. Itā€™s not like this during sideways periods.

My issue had been going on now for 11 days. Is that still normal you think?

Hi Edoray,

Iā€™m just wondering if you got your NEM back.

I noticed one of your posts you wanted to know how to find the details of your order, log on to your Changelly account. Go to your History of transactions and you can get the transaction hash there. You can then use a NEM Blockchain explorer to find the details of that transaction. The one I remember using is this: http://chain.nem.ninja/#/blocks/0

You did say you have given up on trying to get your $4000 back. Iā€™m in the same position. Itā€™s been 11 days for me now. Keep trying to get it. If they think they can get away with it, we cannot let them get away with it.

The details of the transaction is on the blockchain, if you give up now and they might just continue doing it thinking that it is an extra way to fleece people of their money by having this stupid messaging ā€œerrorā€ as an excuse.

Cryptos may not be regulated but theft is theft.

1 Like

Hi Luis_M, Iā€™m just wondering if you got your money back from Changelly.Com

Just letting everybody know who is interested with this issue that Changelly has finally completed the transaction after 12 days. It is a bit long and I was getting worked up over this issue but given the unprecedented traffic in Cryptos recently, theyā€™re probably just swamped with customer service issues. They did come through in the end, so I would just recommend everybody to just stay in contact with them, provide them as much info as you can, specifically the transaction hash and your Order ID number if you can. You can get that info from your History tab when youā€™re logged into your Changelly account.

@edoray , I think thereā€™s still hope for you. You can still recover your $4000 worth of XEMs.

2 Likes

Having received my NEMs from 2 failed transactions from Changelly, I was happy to try again.

I made 2 successful transactions sending out NEMs to XRPs after that. Then the third one failed. I was just as careful as I was with the first 2 successful transactions but yet the 3rd one failed again. It had a message that said they could not take too big or too small of a transaction and then asked me to make sure I used the same amount I used during the quoting process. But I did that!

I am now querying Changelly about this. It is beginning to seem that Changelly is having problems working with NEM. It makes me wonder how other exchanges like Changelly are dealing with NEM. If NEM can get Shapeshift to work with XEMs then, I will try trading XEMs on Shapeshift.

@Saul, NEM better pay attention to this issue because if it is problematic working with XEM, people wonā€™t use it. Like @edoray, I am seriously considering staying away from trading XEM altogether until this all gets sorted out.

1 Like